Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
These drafts have become the monkey paw’s version of granting everyone’s wishes to take defense from a few years ago.

Where is the offense coming from?

Should have been more specific in your wish.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

The tape is pretty underwhelming, but he didn't look bad or anything. Just wanted more of a splash with our 2nd pick. Seems like his whole game is just getting the puck away from his own net. Doesn't do much to create offense, is just happy when the pucks as far away from his net as possible.

I wanted Bjornfot if we were going D, but obviously that wasn't an option.

Weird that this game featured a Kessel, Berglund, and O'reilly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The tape is pretty underwhelming, but he didn't look bad or anything. Just wanted more of a splash with our 2nd pick. Seems like his whole game is just getting the puck away from his own net. Doesn't do much to create offense, is just happy when the pucks as far away from his net as possible.

I wanted Bjornfot if we were going D, but obviously that wasn't an option.

Weird that this game featured a Kessel, Berglund, and O'reilly

I’m wondering if the offense of game will come in time. It does seem like he fully embraced his position being important to defend first and worry about the offense later. His time working with Bob in Minnesota will be pretty interesting.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like this better then the Samuelson pick. But where are the forwards coming from?

That remains the question doesn’t it? I would love it if their pro scouting department decided they would be the be-all, and all in terms of UDFA forwards. That takes some organizational commitment however.

I would have liked a scoring winger, but if he turns into a left handed Montour, that works, too.

I definitely don't see him as a Montour type. More of a Brodin, Fowler, Niskanen, etc. Smooth skating two way D who won't pile up points

Brodin results but not style. I think of Bret Hedican.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm not a huge fan of the pick, but more because I don't like taking defenders in the first round unless they're can't miss guys.

Skates well, good hand eye coordination, reasonable positioning away from the puck. Not a great passer or shooter, looked indecisive pinching and holding the puck at the line.

Looks like a project. But so are most at 31.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Johnson is a solid skater for sure. He has some decent skills, especially anything that comes from his skating. He is a work in progress for sure. I’d safely say he’s 4-5 years away. For defenseman, I don’t think that’s too bad. He complements the rest of the defenseman we have in our pipeline nicely. I think he has some offensive skill that he hasn’t scratched the surface on. He has plenty of room defensively to really grow.

I think in terms of “1st round picks” I think he’s a project. It feels like he was picked a good 15 spots sooner than he should’ve been. When you have other higher end talent at that spot, guys that were ranked higher, and you don’t have a 2nd round pick at that moment, I think you take a shot.

I’m not a fan of the pick, more because of personal preference than the player itself.

For the pick, I’d give it a C-

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Johnson is a solid skater for sure. He has some decent skills, especially anything that comes from his skating. He is a work in progress for sure. I’d safely say he’s 4-5 years away. For defenseman, I don’t think that’s too bad. He complements the rest of the defenseman we have in our pipeline nicely. I think he has some offensive skill that he hasn’t scratched the surface on. He has plenty of room defensively to really grow.

I think in terms of “1st round picks” I think he’s a project. It feels like he was picked a good 15 spots sooner than he should’ve been. When you have other higher end talent at that spot, guys that were ranked higher, and you don’t have a 2nd round pick at that moment, I think you take a shot.

I’m not a fan of the pick, more because of personal preference than the player itself.

Most picks 25 or later you will not see until 2023-2024 season. For those from CHL that would be the last season of their ELC.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
A lot of talk beer of LHD vs RHD.
I'll just note that I think we'll start to see off-handed defenseman become more commonplace in the NHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A lot of talk beer of LHD vs RHD.
I'll just note that I think we'll start to see off-handed defenseman become more commonplace in the NHL.

Interestingly somebody just did a study on that and there’s a little statistical evidence that guys playing on the correct side does have an impact on events. I think the preference would be to make sure that you have lefty lefty and righty righty with one of each per pair.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Interestingly somebody just did a study on that and there’s a little statistical evidence that guys playing on the correct side does have an impact on events. I think the preference would be to make sure that you have lefty lefty and righty righty with one of each per pair.

As an unskilled beer league defenseman and house league minor hockey coach, I can tell you that it is way easier to pick the puck off the boards on a rim with your forehand versus on your backhand when you play the off side.

Reactions: Fezzy126

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008

Bobby Mac’s consolidated ratings had him at #33. So Buffalo took him 2 spots higher then that. I really doubt he would of been there 15 spots later.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Dahlin played the right side no? I would be shocked if we eventually don’t see him moved there down the road.
Playing on the off-side is much more common, anecdotally, overseas. The pluses are still there on our side of the oversized pond, though, as betrayed by how it is the norm on the PP. I'm not sure we will see it with Dahlin (at ES) unless the balance of talent really dictates it, but I'd have no problems with it. He will be a freelancing wizard in a season or two. Even if you buy that onside-handedness brings a benefit at ES, the rules don't apply to him.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
This is by far my least favorite pick of the draft. I just don’t see how you can watch this team play and decide you need more guys that struggle to have consistent compete.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dahlin is going to make this kid so good everyone will wonder why he wasn't drafted ahead of Byram.

Then we will wonder why we used a similar ranged pick on Samuelsson when the same thing was said last year and we are watching our one line offense.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Then we will wonder why we used a similar ranged pick on Samuelsson when the same thing was said last year and we are watching our one line offense.

Just so I have this “logic” nailed down. Drafting this dman and Samuelsson last year has us cursed to being a one line offense? Do I have that right?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is by far my least favorite pick of the draft. I just don’t see how you can watch this team play and decide you need more guys that struggle to have consistent compete.

That might be selling him short. He's calm, maybe that's the flip side of non-competitive. I'd like to see how he does under Motzko in Minny, on the big ice where his skating is going to be a boon in all situations. He will be a very young NCAA player though, so patience will have to be the key.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just so I have this “logic” nailed down. Drafting this dman and Samuelsson last year has us cursed to being a one line offense? Do I have that right?

I think people wanted 31OA used in trade to address holes in the roster or baring that, feed forward talent into the prospect hopper. The trade didn't happen and of course, Johnson plays defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad