Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Just from watching a few highlights and clips I find it confusing that this kid isnt a better offensive player and hasnt provided points...... he skates like the wind and has some pretty sick hands

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They took the highest rated player they had on their board. It's not like whoever we selected with this pick was gonna be in the NHL next year or (likely) even the year after that, and team needs can change a LOT in that amount of time. :dunno: Regardless, from the sounds of it, this kid is exactly the type of defenseman we don't have anywhere in our system. If he hits, I'll be very, very happy to have someone with his skillset on our blue line.
The problem is that unless God drops a bunch of good forward prospects on us from the sky the whole forward depth thing is highly unlikely to change. And I will also admit that my opinion of our scouting is lower than the late Verne Troyer doing the limbo (see: passing on Bode Wilde to take Samuelsson, a decision I think will haunt us for many years to come) so the idea he was BPA on our board does little to reassure me this was the right pick.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I like Johnson. They just have to get busy finding some forwards. It's not like they are bulging with scoring talent right at the moment.
I know it's a trite thing to say, but god this team needs to unearth an impact gem at forward outside of an early first. Seems like it's been forever, barring Olofsson showing it next season. Other teams make me so jealous when it comes to this... and everything else, I guess.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just from watching a few highlights and clips I find it confusing that this kid isnt a better offensive player and hasnt provided points...... he skates like the wind and has some pretty sick hands

I'm curious to see how he develops there as well. He is only 7 weeks from being a 2020 draft eligible, which may not seem like a lot but he's one of the younger d-men in his league and he still managed to play well at the defensive side of the game. I like that he'll have time at UM under Bob Motzko to round out. LaCombe looks like he'll be getting the PP cycles from what I know of the upcoming Gophers, yet those hands and feet do seem to holler more than just a new version of Bret Hedican. And hey... if he could turn out like Hedican, I'm down with it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know it's a trite thing to say, but god this team needs to unearth an impact gem at forward outside of an early first. Seems like it's been forever, barring Olofsson showing it next season. Other teams make me so jealous when it comes to this... and everything else, I guess.

Yep. I've mentioned the various OA and OA+2 types I would be gunning for with those 6th and 7th rounders tomorrow. What I want to see is the staff willing to take some cuts, take some homerun swings. And if they strike out.... it's the 5th/6th/7th round and the percentages are not in the team's favor to begin with. But it they hit? Please.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Initially think we could've gotten someone better, but with so many positive reports-sure. I do like that we have a variety of defensive prospects.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
All other things being equal, I'd rather see them pick someone they like who might be projected to go a little lower than someone they aren't particularly high on just because he was projected to go earlier.
I’d hope most teams has lists ready instead of winging it. Boston being completely unprepared in 2015 when their plan backfired says otherwize but still, shouldn’t all teams have a list that they just follow?
Possibly some variations of it with weighing in where a pick will go so you don’t spend early first round pick on possible third rounders...

Member 308457

Arthur Kaliyev was just waiting, waiting, waiting there. Picking his nose. Then he buried his head in sadness and disgust. Was he crying? Whoever gets him will have the next Thurman Thomas on their hands. A natural goal scorer with a huge chip on his shoulder. Or perhaps he'll overlook the huge slight of being passed over for the second round. Coming out of historic scoring inabilities for years, when they get the chance, boy the Sabres never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Stupid organization.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Skates well, moves the puck just fine even if nothing flashy and seems quite responsible and aware defensively for the age. I like him. Yes, the upside is 2nd pairing at most but good thing we have a guy called Dahlin to play in front of him. If we can develop 2 of Samuelsson, Pilut, Johnson and Bryson into true 2nd pairing guys we will be extremely solid at the back with 2nd pairing quality D on cheap ELC's on both 2nd and 3rd pairings.

Also I don't think this in any way impacts Risto's situation. We still only have Risto, Montour and Borgen on the right long term. I am salivating over the potential 6man D corp.

I agree we need F help though. Let's hope the can find some high skill later in the draft along with 1 more G prospect.

Edit: needs to get stronger for sure, he skates well but noticed that when they actually catch him, he gets knocked off the puck too easily for my taste, noticed it at least twice in this shift by shift.

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I’d hope most teams has lists ready instead of winging it. Boston being completely unprepared in 2015 when their plan backfired says otherwize but still, shouldn’t all teams have a list that they just follow?
Possibly some variations of it with weighing in where a pick will go so you don’t spend early first round pick on possible third rounders...
Yes, presumably they do have lists, and those lists favor guys that they like over guys they are ambivalent towards. Also I would take it as a given that every team accounts for where they project players to go. Pretty much every story of how a team ends up getting a steal in late rounds bears out the idea that teams project where players will be picked and take that into account.
If the Sabres were targeting Johnson, and didn't see him going in this range (barring their pick) presumably they would have traded down. The rankings that @Chainshot posted make it pretty clear that it would've been pretty silly to trade down and hope that Johnson fell if he was the guy that they wanted.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Maybe he wins the Conn Smythe one day.

Break out/transition player, elite skating D, defensively competent, younger player in his draft.

Great pick.
Sounds like a better Guhle.
Another high-end D prospect, fulfills that prospect position for now. Time to focus elsewhere.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Arthur Kaliyev was just waiting, waiting, waiting there. Picking his nose. Then he buried his head in sadness and disgust. Was he crying? Whoever gets him will have the next Thurman Thomas on their hands. A natural goal scorer with a huge chip on his shoulder. Or perhaps he'll overlook the huge slight of being passed over for the second round. Coming out of historic scoring inabilities for years, when they get the chance, boy the Sabres never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Stupid organization.
Strangely enough, the scouting report on him talks about him being limited and lazy but yep that’s the kind of the guy we want in our system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->