Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Reading the scouting reports...are we looking at a better skating Smehlik here?
I'd be fine with that, personally, but I also know that my father is about to turn 60 and he spent his prime cursing Richard Smehlik, year after year. I've never seen anyone hate a professional athlete as much as he hated Smehlik. I was only like 8-10 during his "prime" with us, but I look back and he got a lot of average time on ice for a team that was generally good on defense, so I don't mind this comparison. My father on the other hand, is going to flip his shit. Can't wait.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like Johnson - transition defender, great gap control, highly mobile.

Black Book has him at.... 20:

He’s a modern, mobile two-way defenseman. The California product from the Anaheim Jr. Ducks, jumped right into a prominent USHL role on a top-flight team in his first season. Though he only notched 25 points in 54 games (21 of them at even strength), he did lead the team with a plus-24 rating. Johnson is one of the most fluid skaters in the draft class.

He has effortless, multi-directional mobility with first-step quickness, terrific edgework and the ability to stop and turn against the flow of pressure easily and punctually. His escapability and poise with the puck makes him a calming presence in chaotic situations. The hockey sense is there in spades. He thinks and feels the game very well. Ryan has great spatial awareness, he understands where players have moved to even if he’s not facing them, he understands the geometry of the rink perfectly. His skill level has improved over the course the season. Early in the year, he was able to beat players mostly on skating prowess, now he’s able to make hands plays that really make an impact – both on the rush and when he’s already in the offensive zone. The next challenge will be his ability to string consecutive technical skill plays together – whether it be beating F1 and threading a nice pass against the flow of pressure or making a move to work in down low in the attack zone and making a finishing pass or shot. Johnson is a modern defender in the sense that he’s a mobile, stick first rear guard who really doesn’t like to get too engaged physically. He fronts a lot of plays as opposed to wallowing in the mire of a net-mouth battle. His stick positioning and timing are both excellent. To boot, he almost never gives up his leverage by leaving his feet – they’re his best weapon and he knows it. While he has shown the ability to carry pucks, it didn’t appear that that was in the Sioux Falls playbook very much. And if it was, Johnson didn’t always look like he wanted to be tasked with that. While we have a lot of respect for his poise and calm demeanor, there is such a thing as too cool. We would have liked to have seen a little bit more of a take-charge attitude sometimes and not the let the game come to him quite so often. That lack of killer instinct may help to explain his somewhat disappointing point totals. Though, he wasn’t used as the primary power play quarterback for much of the year (Max Crozier took that time for blueliners on a four-forward power play).

Also, as the team’s best defensive player, Johnson was used as a security blanket to insulate weaker players. His game is subtle and understated, even his skill plays are not that flashy – he has an exceptional grasp of “late touches” when accepting passes as a way to manipulate defenders and the space that he has in anticipation of the next step of the play. He really gets the game and that foundation in a fairly young player for this draft class is exciting. He still needs to improve his finishing passes (that is, passes in the mid- or lower-layer in the offensive zone that lead directly to high quality scoring chances) and his shot. All told though, there isn’t a lot of lead-up time for Johnson before he’ll ready to play in the NHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
THW has this article on him: https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-johnson-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Johnson’s biggest attribute is his skating ability. He can accelerate to full speed in just a couple of steps and has a smooth, effortless stride that gets him up and down the ice in the blink of an eye. He uses his excellent footwork to avoid the forecheck and start the rush into the offensive end of the ice.
The teenager is also very good in his own end of the rink. His positioning is already at an elite level. He rarely lets his man get in between him and his own goal and tends to keep players to the outside of the ice. Johnson possesses a quick stick, which he uses to cause turnovers and take away passing lanes. He will need to work on getting bigger and stronger, but at just age 17, he will have plenty of time to do that.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Draft Site had him at 40: https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/ryan-johnson/32927/

“Lightweight mobile new age attacking defenseman with good upside due to his mobility, puck carrying skills and overall awareness. Excellent in transition with the outlet pass or my carrying the mail. His high-end footwork allows him to be aggressive defensively with the confidence in his lateral agility to get back in the mix. Needs to get better in his diagnosis and reaction in his end so he isn’t running around so much, but his feet with eventually settle down and slow the game down. Very good at joining the rush down low, but is careful not to get caught. His long fast strides point to his upside. Almost looks as though he uses the boards to secure the time and space to suddenly explode out at top gear in a series of cuts to surprise and catch teams flat-footed” Bill Placzek/Draft Site

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I like it. Exactly the kind of player our pipeline (and roster) is missing. Brodin is the best comparison that comes to mind.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Are we complaining about this pick too?
Yes, mostly because we had options to address what is by far our biggest need (forward depth) that we ended up seemingly by divine providence and Botts said "Nah, I'm good" and made this pick. If those options hadn't existed this pick would be viewed far more favorably.

Reactions: Kevbeau

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lightweight mobile new age attacking defenseman

That is quite a phrase

Kind of a mouthful. Someone mentioned some Keith comps in the prospect board thread - might have that sort of stick and footwork combo. He's a different sort of player than Samuelsson from this area last year, and it definitely takes all kinds. Considering he may be one of the biggest reasons that Podkolzin feel in the draft because he shut Pod down at the WJAC, there is a lot to like.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
TSN/McKenzie had him at 33 in their final rankings.
EP had him at 24.
Pronman had him at 41.
HP had him at 20.
McKeens had him at 25.
ISS had him at 51.

Reminds me of them sneaking in on Samuelsson last year when everyone was looking at forward for the selection.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yes, mostly because we had options to address what is by far our biggest need (forward depth) that we ended up seemingly by divine providence and Botts said "Nah, I'm good" and made this pick. If those options hadn't existed this pick would be viewed far more favorably.

They took the highest rated player they had on their board. It's not like whoever we selected with this pick was gonna be in the NHL next year or (likely) even the year after that, and team needs can change a LOT in that amount of time. :dunno: Regardless, from the sounds of it, this kid is exactly the type of defenseman we don't have anywhere in our system. If he hits, I'll be very, very happy to have someone with his skillset on our blue line.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Let me preface this by saying there were four or five forwards I really, really like available when this pick was made. And I can understand why they might not be the team that selects Arthur Kaliyev because they have not shown an ability to polish guys into pros who aren't already pretty much the stock standard, well-liked, workmanlike hockey player. I like Johnson a lot. It just wasn't the scoring forwards they still need.

But it is someone they can use.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Let me preface this by saying there were four or five forwards I really, really like available when this pick was made. And I can understand why they might not be the team that selects Arthur Kaliyev because they have not shown an ability to polish guys into pros who aren't already pretty much the stock standard, well-liked, workmanlike hockey player. I like Johnson a lot. It just wasn't the scoring forwards they still need.

But it is someone they can use.
You summed it up perfectly here.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad