Value of: Ryan Johansen

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I would think balancing salaries is a bit of a non-starter. Unless it was just for this year. But Okposo is too much of a hit for too long for a marginal player to really work into this. I think Mitts and Samuelsson are reasonable considerations, but Okposo is the deal-breaker. We do need help on D, however... that'd be the place to look for any shorter-term salary balancing considerations.

Could I interest you a well used Bogosian for the year to balance out salary?

Mitts + (Johnson or Samuelson) + Bogo +3rd rd (crapshoot pick)

Gives you a 2C for the future (although I think he is more a W), a 4-6 D who does not need to be exposed to expansion draft, and a 10% chance of a hit.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Would take him back in Columbus, but I'm having trouble thinking of an equitable package.

I'd like it too, but given the way it ended last time, I don't think either side would be too fond of a reunion. Plus, unless they view Murray/Savard very highly I don't think we could get close to a fair package.

Reactions: Byrral

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Could I interest you a well used Bogosian for the year to balance out salary?

Mitts + (Johnson or Samuelson) + Bogo +3rd rd (crapshoot pick)

Gives you a 2C for the future (although I think he is more a W), a 4-6 D who does not need to be exposed to expansion draft, and a 10% chance of a hit.
Well, I would file that basically as something to mull over, to put on the blackboard as I tried to dissect what to do with my team.

I'm probably not as sold on the premise of trading Johansen as the OP. And anyway, I feel like if I was in David Poile's shoes and contemplating a shakeup trade that would affect the team's core, I'd know a lot more about the personalities/psychology/chemistry of the team than I do sitting here in my armchair typing. But supposing I had all that Poilean knowledge at hand, and had decided that trading Johansen was indeed worth pursuing, it would come down to listing out all the offers. This one would probably rate as "viable" but not so enticing that I'd leap up and shout "DONE!" right now. I'd have to stack it up against the other offers on the table. And against what if anything I could get for Turris. But it looks fair.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Well, I would file that basically as something to mull over, to put on the blackboard as I tried to dissect what to do with my team.

I'm probably not as sold on the premise of trading Johansen as the OP. And anyway, I feel like if I was in David Poile's shoes and contemplating a shakeup trade that would affect the team's core, I'd know a lot more about the personalities/psychology/chemistry of the team than I do sitting here in my armchair typing. But supposing I had all that Poilean knowledge at hand, and had decided that trading Johansen was indeed worth pursuing, it would come down to listing out all the offers. This one would probably rate as "viable" but not so enticing that I'd leap up and shout "DONE!" right now. I'd have to stack it up against the other offers on the table. And against what if anything I could get for Turris. But it looks fair.

Makes sense. To me the real advantage in value is a player and pick that you dont need to protect. You get some certainty going forward with the expansion draft that let's you keep your big three on D and shore up the future.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
The first thing I thought of here was a potential Johansen for Trouba swap before Trouba's NMC kicks in this summer. The breakout of Fox/DeAngelo forces the Rangers into a tough postion, but it's too bad the trade doesn't make sense roster wise for Preds or Rangers really.

Preds have Fabbro/Ellis on right side, and Rangers won't want RJ to block Chytil from eventually taking full control of that 2nd line C role.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Man these offers are underwhelming. Can’t even believe people have suggested Nashville needs to retain.

Reality check needed.

He isn’t a 1Cand he costs $8M for 5 yrs and could fall if a cliff so high risk to trade for

You either need to take money back or retain if you want yo get some actual assets back for him.

Reactions: Byrddog

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Reality check needed.

He isn’t a 1Cand he costs $8M for 5 yrs and could fall if a cliff so high risk to trade for

You either need to take money back or retain if you want yo get some actual assets back for him.

Agree to disagree. He’s low end 1C high end 2. Anyone targeting him would be doing soo expecting him to be better outside of Nashville. Not many big top 6 centres kicking around. Obviously cap goes back in a trade. Just saying nobody retains 5 years on a player like Johansen.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Reality check needed.

He is certainly a no.1 center. He may be the worst no.1 center in the league but he is still a no.1, and if he were ever traded from here he'll probably get a bump offensively.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Dont qant johansons lazy ass back here. Cbj wouldnt waste money or assets on him.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Would take him back in Columbus, but I'm having trouble thinking of an equitable package.

I can't imagine that a Torts RyJo reunion would be a good thing though... Seemed like there was quite a bit of conflict prior to RyJo's departure

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I can't imagine that a Torts RyJo reunion would be a good thing though... Seemed like there was quite a bit of conflict prior to RyJo's departure
Exactly this. Torts has actually got the Bugs headed in a good direction They have not even missed Bob which is pretty amazing in its self.

Torts and Johansen are like oil and water.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I just happen to think the "Joey and Torts hate eachother" narrative is a tad overblown. :dunno:

It might be overblown, but I don't think it was a complete myth either. They don't have to "hate each other" for there to be significant conflict about roles and expectations. Torts has been pretty clear about 100% effort all the time and RyJo has looked... pretty disinterested of late

The Jackets are doing so well right now, and it seems like so much of their game is predicated on playing a team game... Might be a big risk trying to integrate him with the way the rest of the team is playing.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He is certainly a no.1 center. He may be the worst no.1 center in the league but he is still a no.1, and if he were ever traded from here he'll probably get a bump offensively.

Not by point production he is a solid 1C....

He is more a high 2C/low 1C so he is overpaid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad