Value of: Ryan Johansen

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Starting to think it's time for the Preds to examine re-tooling the team. Their window is pretty closed right now and I think it's worth seeing the value of some of our higher value players not named Forsberg. Obviously no one's gonna take Turris and we just signed Duchene so Johansen could be looked at.

Johansen is a low end 1C - not as lazy as people like to make him out to be but definitely leaves you wanting more a lot of the time. The team is noticeably worse with him out of the line-up. He definitely elevates in the playoffs also. He comes in at 8 million for another 6 years which is a tad high but not to the point of being an anchor or unmanageable for a team that can fit it.

Preds needs: prospects at all positions, picks, defensive depth, wingers.

Here's the current make-up of the team going into next year for reference (if Smith gets re-signed over Granlund which I would like):

Forsberg - Duchene - Arvidsson
??? - Turris - ???
Jarnkrok - Bonino - Smith
Grimaldi - Sissons - Watson
x: Trenin, Tolvanen, Pitlick, Tomasino (forwards who could make the team)

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro
??? - ???
x: (defenseman who could make the team. i'm aware there's no one here, that's the joke haha... ha...)

Rinne
Saros

Off the top of my head I was thinking maybe Detroit? Something around Athanasiou + good prospect? idk how Wings fans feel about that though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Starting to think it's time for the Preds to examine re-tooling the team. Their window is pretty closed right now and I think it's worth seeing the value of some of our higher value players not named Forsberg. Obviously no one's gonna take Turris and we just signed Duchene so Johansen could be looked at.

Johansen is a low end 1C - not as lazy as people like to make him out to be but definitely leaves you wanting more a lot of the time. The team is noticeably worse with him out of the line-up. He definitely elevates in the playoffs also. He comes in at 8 million for another 6 years which is a tad high but not to the point of being an anchor or unmanageable for a team that can fit it.

Preds needs: prospects at all positions, picks, defensive depth, wingers.

Here's the current make-up of the team going into next year for reference (if Smith gets re-signed over Granlund which I would like):

Forsberg - Duchene - Arvidsson
??? - Turris - ???
Jarnkrok - Bonino - Smith
Grimaldi - Sissons - Watson
x: Trenin, Tolvanen, Pitlick, Tomasino (forwards who could make the team)

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro
??? - ???
x: (defenseman who could make the team. i'm aware there's no one here, that's the joke haha... ha...)

Rinne
Saros

Off the top of my head I was thinking maybe Detroit? Something around Athanasiou + good prospect? idk how Wings fans feel about that though.
Minnesota has prospects at all positions, picks, defensive depth and wingers that should be available for a 1C. Johansen's contract is kind of a concern with some of the others we already have for the next 6-ish years, but I still think there'd be interest.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Buffalo needs a legit 2C after Eichel(and for skinner/Mojo) Would Casey Mittelstadt, Mathias Samuelsson and Okposo(to balance salary) for Ryan Johansen make sense?

Would allow buffalo to move Mojo to 3C or on the wing somehwere in the middle 6 and would actually give them real depth down the lineup.

I don't think mitts is a bust, he needs time to develop, i think he was rushed into the NHL before he was ready.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Minnesota has prospects at all positions, picks, defensive depth and wingers that should be available for a 1C. Johansen's contract is kind of a concern with some of the others we already have for the next 6-ish years, but I still think there'd be interest.

Give us back Fiala! T_T

Would Kunin, Soucy, or Greenway be available?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Give us back Fiala! T_T

Would Kunin, Soucy, or Greenway be available?
I think Kunin would be very unlikely due to handedness and the ability to play center in a pinch. Plus he's figuring out the scoring thing lately.

Soucy's been the big surprise this season and as a UMD alum I'd be loathe to part with him... but for a top-6 center I'm not gonna rule it out. Similar story with Greenway: I love the tools he has and despite some ups and downs I have high confidence that he'll put it together and be a hell of a player, but there's no reason to consider him off limits when we're talking centers.

Frankly, as much as I love what Fiala's brought even he wouldn't be completely off the table.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Buffalo needs a legit 2C after Eichel(and for skinner/Mojo) Would Casey Mittelstadt, Mathias Samuelsson and Okposo(to balance salary) for Ryan Johansen make sense?

Would allow buffalo to move Mojo to 3C or on the wing somehwere in the middle 6 and would actually give them real depth down the lineup.

I don't think mitts is a bust, he needs time to develop, i think he was rushed into the NHL before he was ready.
I would think balancing salaries is a bit of a non-starter. Unless it was just for this year. But Okposo is too much of a hit for too long for a marginal player to really work into this. I think Mitts and Samuelsson are reasonable considerations, but Okposo is the deal-breaker. We do need help on D, however... that'd be the place to look for any shorter-term salary balancing considerations.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would sure consider it, what happened to Joansens production this year? Hes on pace for almost the same amount as Labanc...
He just hasn't had any spark this year. He's not normally a high energy player at the best of times, but he does usually find a way to chip in on offense at a fairly reliable clip. He's got the size and a reasonable two-way presence in general, but on offense things have just been muddled for a little while with the Preds, coming to a head this season. He needs some kind of reset. Hope had been that the coaching change might provide that. So far no real signs of that having an impact yet, though. :(

He's by no means a bad player. Pretty decent both ways. Just when you get a guy who you've seen perform at a higher level, it sets expectations. He's 27. He's getting paid as the player he SHOULD be, not the player he has been this season. Ideally, I'd like to just see him bounce back to his "usual" level - it's still occasionally frustrating, but generally worth the $$$. He's a notch below that so far this season, however. Hence the blossoming of trade suggestions. :(

Reactions: Gh24

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Boone Jenner and David Savard?
Can't do Boone; we need him at C as is.

I'm horribly, horribly tempted to suggest something like Anderson+Milano+Carlsson as that covers multiple angles, but 1) that's three RFAs, which would be awkward, and 2) that's gambling that Anderson bounces back (he should, but it's no guarantee).

Reactions: thebus88

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I'm horribly, horribly tempted to suggest something like Anderson+Milano+Carlsson as that covers multiple angles, but 1) that's three RFAs, which would be awkward, and 2) that's gambling that Anderson bounces back (he should, but it's no guarantee).
I could certainly see Anderson as being worth a try... after this season his RFA ask won't be much. But Milano seems a little generic and Carlsson more of a change-of-scenery throw-in. If Anderson was doing more like his usual, ok, but right now I think the rest of the package would need a bigger upgrade. :dunno:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Yeah I'd do that though the RFA status is weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad