Proposal: Ryan Johansen

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
What are the chances we offer sheet Ryan Johansen? And what are the chances Columbus matches and turns down all the picks?

Word is he wants 7 and Columbus offered 4.

"Michael Arace of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets training camp starts in 27 days and they still need to come to terms with RFA Ryan Johansen. If they can’t reach a deal by the start of training camp, then it starts to become a problem. It would hurt him, the team, and alienate the fans. Talks have been on and off since July. They are $3 million a season apart on a two-year deal. Johansen is looking for $7 million a season, the Blue Jackets are offering around $4 million per. Johansen camp believes he is one of the top 12 centers in the league and say they can solicit an offer sheet. The Blue Jackets say he’s only had one good season out of three."

would we offer him 7 per for a multi year or long term contract? It would cost us 1st's among other picks.

I would love it...but just want to see what others think...

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Chance we offer sheet a 22 year old for 7 mil per is as close to zero as I could imagine. While he could fit the coveted 1C he could crash and burn or anything in between. I would not be surprised if he gets no more than 4.5 to 5 and it will be a short term contract. The guy looks great on paper but he is not in a position of power right now to command big money. If the bugs were willing to pay 5 a year for a long term deal it would probably be done. Now Its will be a bridge deal then he cashes in somewhere. If he holds out its a no win situation for him or the Jackets.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
agree with byrd he's not proven enough to sabotage the future. Would love to have him, but not at the cost. He should be like any other very good but non-superstar 22 year old… take a two or three year deal at around 5 mil and then earn the mega money by having consistent great years

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
I'd put the chances at 0.0%.

I do not think that Poile would ever offer sheet anyone. He seemed personally offended when Weber was offer sheeted. I think that Poile believes it to be a classless move.

I also think that Poile would side with Columbus on the contract negotiations. One good year doesn't = 7 million per. Right or wrong, Poile is very conservative in contract negotiations.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Not worth giving $7M per to long term for one good season, even if he's only 22. As Byrd mentioned, I think he takes a 2-yr bridge deal, maybe $5M per, and he'll get his big $ long-term contract if he keeps up the pace he had last season.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I think I would do it. The compensation as I understand it would be two firsts ,a second and a third. This in his third year. Ours would be his fourth. He had 63 points with a strong 33 goals. Tied for second in scoring in the (ahem) playoffs. Played all 82 games. Big. How many of our first round draft picks have ever put up numbers like these - third year. Only 22. NHL proven. Yes, elite numbers only one year, but those are ELITE NHL numbers - not WHL, OHL or even AHL. A future with Jones, Weber, Neal and Johansen doesn't sound so bad (Lavi coaching).

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Tough question.

I don't think Poile would ever offersheet anyone. But if things just went bad between him and the bugs, I could see us offering the moon for a guy like this.

The risk is definately there, but, I think he's going to be an elite center for a long time.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I'd do it, only because I'm sitting behind a computer with no consequences. In reality I don't see this happening, especially with Poile.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
That's a pretty big risk to take, tying yourself to a huge contract for a guy who hasn't shown it for more than one season. The stat sheets are littered with guys who managed to put together one good season and then fell off.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Johanson's 63 points matches Legwand's 06-07 total. Is a one time, Legwand achievable point total worth $7mil long term?

valid point, but I have to believe this is not the only time Johansen will touch 60 pts. I truly believe in the long run (and i may dig myself into a hole here) but with the right guys i think he's a 70-90pts guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad