Ryan Johansen Saga III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus

Like I said, this is going into October.

I haven't seen a legitimate argument for why this should be anything above $4 mil AAV, and that may be pushing it. $3.75 mil AAV is probably the most comparable to previous and recent bridge contracts.

I thought CBJ may go to $4.75-5 mil AAV before, but that clearly isn't going to happen.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I think we should be looking at trades now. We shoudn't be looking to trade him though. We should only do that if he demands a trade or sits out for a long time.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Leaf fan here...

with all respect, if my team had a budding young star balking at the very reasonable offers being made, and countering with what appears to be unreasonable demands, at some point I would be questioning if said player was really looking to stay with the club or if he was forcing the teams' hand by making a trade the only option.Its normal for the player to let the agent wear the villain hat if he's really looking for a change of address.

Kessel wanted out of Boston when he was n the same situation as RJ. He and his agent were equally obstinate.

At what point do Blue Jackets fans contemplate whether it is time to move away from RJ and focus on the possible compensation?

I don't think you'll hear the fans clamouring for a trade any time soon. This is only the second player of this calibre drafted and brought up through the system in franchise history. Management however is much less sentimental, and I think they'd entertain any legitimate trade offer.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I wonder what kind of trade offers would even be available. Does another team what to deal with KO's demand to break the $ 4million bridge offer "cap" that seism to exist around the league? does another team what to trade us the large haul that we would ask for RyJo is return for the privilege of negotiating a demand for about $8+ million per year for 6-8 years with a kid who was not even in their own system? One of the effects of JD's "outburst" was to make sure the rest of the league knew what was going on here. I doubt there are go going to be many teams wanting to empty their system of prospects ito give us n order to obtain the right to engage in crazy negotiations with RyJo and KO.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
The way that I see this KHL offer situation is that KO is trying to create any sort of leverage in these negotiations. We all know that he and Johansen have absolutely none because of the CBA and past RFA bridge deals setting precedence, but this sort of reminds me of what happened last summer with Bobrovsky. When the KHL was willing to throw a lot of money at Bob last summer, that put a lot of pressure on the front office to get a deal done. While I don't think that the chances of Joey sprinting towards Russia is nearly as high as it was for Bob, this development could expedite this process and a deal could get done soon.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I wonder what kind of trade offers would even be available. Does another team what to deal with KO's demand to break the $ 4million bridge offer "cap" that seism to exist around the league? does another team what to trade us the large haul that we would ask for RyJo is return for the privilege of negotiating a demand for about $8+ million per year for 6-8 years with a kid who was not even in their own system? One of the effects of JD's "outburst" was to make sure the rest of the league knew what was going on here. I doubt there are go going to be many teams wanting to empty their system of prospects ito give us n order to obtain the right to engage in crazy negotiations with RyJo and KO.

There's only one team I can think of who'd really be itching to overpay for Johansen, and that's Winnipeg. I base it on the following.

1) They have done nothing in three years. Not one single NHL player-for-player move has been made since they were still in Atlanta.

2) Pressure is mounting to do something to demonstrate that they wish to compete and not simply hover around .500 and collect a profit by everyone overpaying to watch middling hockey.

3) Outside of Mark Scheifele, their center depth is weak. Bryan Little is a lot like Antoine Vermette, in the sense that he can play on the first line but isn't offensively skilled enough to succeed.

4) There's a lot of pressure to get rid of "the Atlanta influence", by which I can only assume they mean "anyone who composes the top-9 up front or top-4 on the blueline", or possibly "everyone who's more melanin-endowed than everyone else". Both groups include Kane and Byfuglien, while the former also includes Little, Ladd, and possibly Enstrom.

5) Winnipeg seems to be convinced that they have an incredible pipeline of prospects.

6) All the players that are said to be on the block in Winnipeg are under 30. They wouldn't be getting rid of prospects, but established players (and possibly the rights to Burmistrov, because I'll never let that go).

7) Thus, they could damage their current roster (improving their chances at the top of the 2015 draft) with a big deal while alleviating a lot of PR headaches all at once.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The way that I see this KHL offer situation is that KO is trying to create any sort of leverage in these negotiations. We all know that he and Johansen have absolutely none because of the CBA and past RFA bridge deals setting precedence, but this sort of reminds me of what happened last summer with Bobrovsky. When the KHL was willing to throw a lot of money at Bob last summer, that put a lot of pressure on the front office to get a deal done. While I don't think that the chances of Joey sprinting towards Russia is nearly as high as it was for Bob, this development could expedite this process and a deal could get done soon.

I wouldn't change my offer one bit if I were Columbus. You can't take this seriously. Completely different than Bobrovsky. I would let him play in the KHL for a year if I were Columbus. It is the same as him sitting out.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Exactly. The only reason to trade or Johansen is if he was signed to a good, fair deal. Of course, if he was, Columbus wouldn't be trading him. I could see a team overpaying for him in money or in trade. Not both.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
If the long term strategy of the franchise is to not move much to the demands of players coming off their ELC, it would be stupid to trade him because all that will do is convince the wave of guys on the way to do the same thing to get out of Columbus.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If the long term strategy of the franchise is to not move much to the demands of players coming off their ELC, it would be stupid to trade him because all that will do is convince the wave of guys on the way to do the same thing to get out of Columbus.

I don't know if I would go that far, but it is a good point. I think that has more to do with players who want to leave. If you want to leave, make crazy salary demands and Columbus will trade you. I don't see that being as big of an issue as overpaying for Johansen would be.

Durkin67

Is the alternative, being conceding to his demands, any better?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/513725398598029312

@FriedgeHNIC: CSKA Moscow GM Sergei Fedorov reached out to say, while there were conversations about Ryan Johansen, (1/3)...

@FriedgeHNIC: He did not and will not make any contract offer for the CLB RFA to play for his club. Fedorov said he had to know if there was...

@FriedgeHNIC: a commitment to play by Sept. 18. He said he did not want to be seen "as interfering," since there was no agreement.

Class move by Fedorov by doing it this way and by making it public.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Is the alternative, being conceding to his demands, any better?

No. The worst result for any holdout is making them extend the holdout so they don't get paid. That at least sends the message to the next guy that you mean it if you say "no".

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Question: If he doesn't accept CBJ's offer and they refuse to trade him, can he play in another league?

(Hope you guys get this done)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
i can see your point about Winnipeg. but that may be the only team that would bite on RyJo at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad