Confirmed with Link: Ryan Huska and Geoff Ward named as Assistant Coaches

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
We need to hire a mascot with experience in killing, and special powers from the minors. If we Add a pre game mascot show like Vegas it changes everything. I’m thinkin scorch

Reactions: Dack

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I’m excited about Ward. I think our special teams will be above average consistently with Ward on PP and Huska on the PK.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’ve been beginning to think that from watching the finals the last few years and after these hires that Brouwer’s days could be over. Nothing about his game fits with how the Flames want to play. Stajan is also 100% done. I also agree with their philosophy. It doesn’t matter if you’re team is tough if you can’t catch the opposition. The days of the big bad B’s, Kings and Ducks are over. Even the B’s don’t play that game anymore and neither does Philly.

Dougie and probably Brodie as well aren’t going anywhere. Stone is a different story.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I’ve been beginning to think that from watching the finals the last few years and after these hires that Brouwer’s days could be over. Nothing about his game fits with how the Flames want to play. Stajan is also 100% done. I also agree with their philosophy. It doesn’t matter if you’re team is tough if you can’t catch the opposition. The days of the big bad B’s, Kings and Ducks are over. Even the B’s don’t play that game anymore and neither does Philly.

Dougie and probably Brodie as well aren’t going anywhere. Stone is a different story.
Agreed with this, and it's not a slight against Brouwer at all, his game just doesn't translate to today's NHL. Stone is probably the same. Stajan most definitely is.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Was saying this stuff three years ago when BT waived Byron. Unfortunately by the time we catch up to three years ago, it'll no longer be an advantage so much as what you need to stay afloat.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I can't believe people here are putting so much stock into what the coaching staff says at their hiring presser. What are these guys gonna say, that they want to play a slow game and misuse their special teams personnel?

Only thing that matters is results. Gulutzan had the same lines when he was hired.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Yeah, if you want to play an uptempo game, you need players that can play fast.
I think Brouwer will get another season in Calgary, just because his buyout sucks. But I can see him as a 12/13th forward. His days in the NHL are absolutely numbered.

I honestly think if you play like Vancouver did 5-6 years ago during their top years, you'd be fine as well. They weren't a tough team at all, in fact they almost baited you into bullying them. The only difference is they'd then murder you on the PP. Calgary was neither nasty to detour physical play and impose their will, they were neither skilled to make teams doing it to them pay.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I can't believe people here are putting so much stock into what the coaching staff says at their hiring presser. What are these guys gonna say, that they want to play a slow game and misuse their special teams personnel?

Only thing that matters is results. Gulutzan had the same lines when he was hired.
I don't disagree and frankly words are just words. Gulutzan said the same thing but at the end of the day he didn't really have the personnel to do what he said he wanted to do. It's on Treliving to give Peters the tools IMO.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I'm pretty sure it's mostly boredom as there's not a lot else going on with the Flames and we finally have something to talk about, and a dash of optimism.

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hmm. I thought they talked about getting an experience HC with a lot of PP experience.
This is good though. I like the internal promotion and the Geoff Ward acquisition a lot.

Let's see. If these guys want to run and gun, and get fast... they're going to need some moves. There's a lack of team speed for a lot of this team.

Spencer Foo, Dillon Dube and Andrew Mangiapane.

From all the interviews I’ve heard, we are finally willing to actually give our young guys a chance.

I know someone will come in and say “something something, can’t risk a season on young guys”

But what people fail to understand is that there is risk involved with hoping veterans off the scrap heap will help push this team over the top. I mean it’s only NEVER worked in the 30 years I’ve watched this team...

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, if you want to play an uptempo game, you need players that can play fast.
I think Brouwer will get another season in Calgary, just because his buyout sucks. But I can see him as a 12/13th forward. His days in the NHL are absolutely numbered.

I honestly think if you play like Vancouver did 5-6 years ago during their top years, you'd be fine as well. They weren't a tough team at all, in fact they almost baited you into bullying them. The only difference is they'd then murder you on the PP. Calgary was neither nasty to detour physical play and impose their will, they were neither skilled to make teams doing it to them pay.

I do think Brouwer has a place, but honestly I agree his playing days are nearing an end. I think he will be the 13th forward next season and bought out the following. He does not skate fast and he does not make quick decisions with the puck. He plays well in a set offence in which he can be setup in the slot. Unfortunately for him, rarely any team is playing that way in today's NHL.

While many will say bury him on the 4th, I would argue that your 4th line should be your fastest line to inject energy. Guys like him are quickly becoming the next version of enforcers.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Spencer Foo, Dillon Dube and Andrew Mangiapane.

From all the interviews I’ve heard, we are finally willing to actually give our young guys a chance.

I know someone will come in and say “something something, can’t risk a season on young guys”

But what people fail to understand is that there is risk involved with hoping veterans off the scrap heap will help push this team over the top. I mean it’s only NEVER worked in the 30 years I’ve watched this team...

With Dube's hustle, speed, and solid 2-way play already I have to believe he makes this team out of camp. Should have made the team last year over every 4th liner that ever played for the Flames last year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we want to play fast, then I'm pretty sure Lazar will get ample consideration as well. Peters has his work cut out in re-structuring his game there, though

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
After reading what Devils fans say about Geoff Ward's PP on the main thread, has me worried.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
After reading what Devils fans say about Geoff Ward's PP on the main thread, has me worried.
Why? Coaches are always the scapegoats and let's be honest, NJ overachieved this year and lived of died at the hands of Taylor Hall. During his tenure in NJ they have been a shit team with few offensive weapons.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016

Yeah reading that thread, it will be Brouwerplay yet again,because duh hes big and duh you gotta have a big guy in front of the net..duh

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So getting this straight, you guys think that Flames management analyzed our coaching last year, publicly acknowledged a problem with our powerplay, fired all three coaches, publicly announced that they were going to make a priority out of getting someone to run a more effective powerplay, took their time interviewing candidates, and then made the effort to pry a guy out of his current position who is planning not to make changes to our powerplay?

Yeah, I don't think so. I think there will be significant change to how our powerplay runs simply because the hiring wouldn't have been made otherwise. Whether it will work or not, of course we have to just wait and see.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The Flames have the manpower to run an effective power play. They've now made the adjustment to bring in a guy they believe can make that happen. So rather than speculate on how it will fail, let's instead think about how it will succeed.

I'll start. My guess is if they do choose to employ Brouwer on the PP, they're going to point at what is most effective right now, and IMO that's Vegas. Every PP of theirs has Alex Tuch in front of the net and it works. If they think they can get Brouwer to do what Tuch does in that position (more than just stand there with his butt in the goalie's face, I mean actually be a pillar that's tough to move) then I think that's what they will try, at least to start. Same goes for Ferland, I would think, although Ferland has a better shot than Brouwer so they might choose to employ that elsewhere.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Ferland has a better shot than Brouwer to, but Brouwer’s shot is the best aspect to his game IMO. Again, it’s a main reason why Hitchcock said Brouwer is the best player in the slot in the entire NHL. The times when we’ve seen Brouwer get his shot off, he usually picks his spot very good. Gully had a system, never choose alter anything to allow Brouwer to play his strengths, so he failed repeatedly.

If Peters/Ward are going to coach similar to Gully, Brouwer should rarely get to play. But if they’re going to run a set offence on the PP, Brouwer has the tools to be an asset. I also don’t think Ward is going to change much from the way things are run, but I think he’s going to do it much better.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So getting this straight, you guys think that Flames management analyzed our coaching last year, publicly acknowledged a problem with our powerplay, fired all three coaches, publicly announced that they were going to make a priority out of getting someone to run a more effective powerplay, took their time interviewing candidates, and then made the effort to pry a guy out of his current position who is planning not to make changes to our powerplay?

Yeah, I don't think so. I think there will be significant change to how our powerplay runs simply because the hiring wouldn't have been made otherwise. Whether it will work or not, of course we have to just wait and see.

I dont know. If it's just the PP, Glen Gulutzan would have kept his job. It was pretty clear the team stopped responding to him.

Otherwise BT likes his coaching system. He hired a similar replacement hoping the guy gets better luck with the players. My bet is it's not enough, we need some roster changes also.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
First place to look for an effective powerplay is Winnipeg IMO. Mostly for the way they use Scheifele as the trigger man and Wheeler/Ehlers as the set up. We have Monahan who has just as good a shot as Scheifele and Gaudreau who is as good a set up man as there is. Watching them is interesting because they are actually able to get it to the middle of the ice where Scheifele stands around, because they move the god damn puck around and have other threats. No one on the Flames is a threat solely because no one is in position to be one. Everyone just stands around waiting for something to happen, with minimal puck movement.

Build the PP around Monahan and Gaudreau like it always should have been. The PP was built around Brodie for like 120 f***ing games under GG/Cameron's control, which is beyond ridiculous when he doesn't possess a booming slap shot or even a wicked wrister like Dougie has.

We'll see how it goes, but I can't believe that they think Brouwer on the first unit is a good idea.

1-3-1
Tkachuk
Hamilton-Monahan-Gaudreau
Gio

Ferland
Jankowski-Bennett-Backlund
Brodie

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We don’t have a Laine though.

We need more movement #1. We were too stationary, that was our #1 issue.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'd be okay with stealing a bit of Washington's style on the PP. Use Dougie as our Ovi one timer threat, have Gaudreau controlling the puck along the boards, Monahan in the slot like Oshie is, and Tkachuk in front of the net or just to the side of it.

Reactions: Mobiandi

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Cannot imagine anyone being worse than Cameron for our PP. I have zero issue with Brouwer on the PP if he's utilized properly. The enitre PP had no ability to move the puck confidently and pull defenders out of position. Tkahuck, and to a lesser extent Brouwer, could flourish on a PP that can maintain control and move the puck effectively. Brouwer has the ability to score in tight areas and be a soid net front presence as long as the other 4 players on the ice provide sustained fluid movement to open up some space in front of opposing goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->