Ryan Howse

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
No probably not. If he can regain his junior form maybe. If he can develop into a 2 way player then maybe a third liner that offers offense.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Far to early to tell with Howse. He has the talent, conditioning has been an issue though. We should have a clearer assessment next season. I think this season has been a very steep learning curve for Howse in the pro game. He has not provided the skill to the Heat that was expected of him to this point. He really needs to work on his game and conditioning this offseason if he wants to take things to the next level.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Far to early to tell with Howse. He has the talent, conditioning has been an issue though. We should have a clearer assessment next season. I think this season has been a very steep learning curve for Howse in the pro game. He has not provided the skill to the Heat that was expected of him to this point. He really needs to work on his game and conditioning this offseason if he wants to take things to the next level.

I agree, Troy Ward has really made Howse aware of the challenges that he will face as a professional hockey player.

His results are a little disappointing, but given the changes and bottom six role he has played through it is not entirely surprising.
Injuries have also affected his development to this point in a big way

As you said, next year will really be a telling year in regards to his future with the Calgary Flames.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's really too bad when a kid doesn't take the opportunities seriously. Its bloody waste of talent. What what we've seen this year, he'll be another Dustin Penner at the most. In that he has the skills to be a good pro, but doesn't have the work ethic.
However, he might not even be a Dustin Penner, as he might not ever be in the NHL

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Coming in Howse had a rep as a lazy player and I don't think he has done anything to dispel that rep.

Unless he shows he's willing to put in some significant work and improve his game I don't see him sniffing the NHL.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's really too bad when a kid doesn't take the opportunities seriously. Its bloody waste of talent. What what we've seen this year, he'll be another Dustin Penner at the most. In that he has the skills to be a good pro, but doesn't have the work ethic.
However, he might not even be a Dustin Penner, as he might not ever be in the NHL

Howse will never even be Dustin Penner at the AHL level. Like I've said for years, Howse is a junior scorer. But like Cameron, his game translates poorly to the pros. Guys like Reinhart and Holland (stupid Feaster) translate really well to the pro game. Penner has scored 30 goals at the NHL level and has 4 20+ goal seasons. Howse hasn't even scored 1 goal at the AHL level yet. Oh and he's 5 inches shorter and just as fat.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Howse will never even be Dustin Penner at the AHL level. Like I've said for years, Howse is a junior scorer. But like Cameron, his game translates poorly to the pros. Guys like Reinhart and Holland (stupid Feaster) translate really well to the pro game. Penner has scored 30 goals at the NHL level and has 4 20+ goal seasons. Howse hasn't even scored 1 goal at the AHL level yet. Oh and he's 5 inches shorter and just as fat.
I meant Dustin Penner in work ethic. Taking every other season off

KevinMattinson

Dec 17, 2011
The problem with opportunities in hockey is that they don't come around all that often. Get a reputation for being lazy and that'll stick with you until you find yourself permanently in the ECHL. If Howse doesn't pick things up in a big way, and soon, he'll find himself lost in the shuffle.

NativeHockey77*

Anyone know if this guy is coming back to pro hockey? I read in the news paper that he played in Vernon Native Hockey Tournament and was one of the all-stars. Same with Casey Pierro-Zabotel who lead the tournament in scoring but it was Ryan Howse and the Big Guy Lake team who won the Tournament. I wanted to go to that tournament but I had to work that weekend

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Anyone know if this guy is coming back to pro hockey? I read in the news paper that he played in Vernon Native Hockey Tournament and was one of the all-stars. Same with Casey Pierro-Zabotel who lead the tournament in scoring but it was Ryan Howse and the Big Guy Lake team who won the Tournament. I wanted to go to that tournament but I had to work that weekend

IF he comes back, I see him as an ECHL'er, bottom 6 AHL'er at best.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I doubt it would be with the Flames if he did, his contract was fully terminated. Hopefully he's happy in life doing whatever he finds passion in.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I think Tim Thomas comes pretty close to that, but that's the only one that comes to mind for me.

But he always was playing, he's a journeyman goalie, so he had no choice versus Howse just say he's giving up going pro.

Either way I don't think he comes back at all. He quit because he lost passion.

TheClassicK*

The Flames seemed to have a history with these guys - Howse, MacDermid, and Dan Ryder - who quit on their teams prematurely because of the "lack of passion". Bad luck I guess?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The Flames seemed to have a history with these guys - Howse, MacDermid, and Dan Ryder - who quit on their teams prematurely because of the "lack of passion". Bad luck I guess?

Bad luck yes, but its not a rare occurence. You rarely hear about other teams prospects that just quit or don't go anywhere because he wasn't really a high profile prospect after awhile.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dan Ryder was suffering from issues due to mental illness. MacDermid was with the team a few months. Howse is the only real example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad