Speculation: Ryan Ellis to Edmonton

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Bob McKenzie
"The guy they really want...Ryan Ellis, if he doesn't get extended he could become available..."

What gets this done?

cut.jpg

7602d974-0e92-4a7c-81e3-2b4d1e34c9c2.png

Last edited:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
The Oilers don't have anything to trade for Ellis really. Preds probably don't want futures and the Oilers don't have much else to offer. Drai and McDavid aren't available, Preds don't need RNH at all. I guess #10 would be interesting if Poile thought he could flip it for immediate help, but the pick itself probably isn't too valuable to him when he's 100% all-in for the cup. Seems like plenty of other teams could make better trade partners.

In the end, I think he re-signs. Preds probably have more cap space than the Oilers and they want to keep him.

Reactions: Viqsi

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The Oilers don't have anything to trade for Ellis really. Preds probably don't want futures and the Oilers don't have much else to offer. Drai and McDavid aren't available, Preds don't need RNH at all. I guess #10 would be interesting if Poile thought he could flip it for immediate help, but the pick itself probably isn't too valuable to him when he's 100% all-in for the cup. Seems like plenty of other teams might make better trade partners though.

In the end, I think he re-signs. Preds probably have more cap space than the Oilers and they want to keep him.

Don't attack me people but What about Klefbom? Makes less than 4.5. Yes had a bad year because of shoulder bone fragments but is a solid top 4 Dman. Klefbom + 10th?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Nashville would probably love to add good pieces to Ryan Ellis to receive Adam Larsson. But EDM is very likely not interested in that at all. Chiarelli though...

Josi - Larsson
Ekholm - Subban

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
McKenzie also said this about Ellis:

The guy they really want, I think, is not available. His name is Ryan Ellis of the Nashville Predators. A year left on his contract. David Poile’s number one priority is to extend him this summer. If he doesn’t get extended then he could perhaps become available but not in time for this weekend.”

Nashville would probably love to add good pieces to Ryan Ellis to receive Adam Larsson. But EDM is very likely not interested in that at all. Chiarelli though...

Josi - Larsson
Ekholm - Subban

No, no they probably would not.

Don't attack me people but What about Klefbom? Makes less than 4.5. Yes had a bad year because of shoulder bone fragments but is a solid top 4 Dman. Klefbom + 10th?

I think they'd rather just add ~1.5 million or whatever to that 4.5 and keep Ellis.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
You will NOT get both of those pieces in an Ellis trade. Maybe one. Klefbom is probably worse than Ellis, but not by miles and miles. Also is younger and signed for longer.
Lets say Ellis is set on a $7.5+ contract, does Nashville make an offer to one of Green or Carlson instead? And then flip Ellis?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
$6M is a very steep "home town discount" for a defenseman who scored 32p in 44 games.

Cool, he had a great 44 game stretch one time. His career high is 38 points and he was HORRIBLE in the playoffs this year. They aren't going to pay him based solely on his 44 good games, no decent GM would.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Don't make the same mistake you did with Suter and lose him for nothing Poile, send him to Edmonton.

10th overall + Caleb Jones for Ryan Ellis

10th overall could pick from Boqvist, Smith, Hayton, Kravtsov and potentially a faller like Bouchard.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Cool, he had a great 44 game stretch one time. His career high is 38 points and he was HORRIBLE in the playoffs this year. They aren't going to pay him based solely on his 44 good games, no decent GM would.
If Ellis demands more than 6 million my opinion is you have to move on. Josi is a way more important player to our roster. And paying Ellis that much would doom us of signing josi. That's why I've been saying we should try and package Ellis or trade him 1 for 1 for a top 6 right winger

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
As I've said it many times, if there is a deal involving the Oilers-Preds, it'll be more likely involving Ekholm and Nurse rather than Ellis. Oilers have no pieces interesting for Ellis, and Ekholm has a fantastic contract something the Oilers need. Nurse and 10th overall for Ekholm and Sissons.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Not that I would want to, but it makes more sense than trading Ellis to the Oilers. Oilers get a great Dman on a steal, we get an Ekholm lite in Nurse and a high pick that can step in super soon.

Oilers brass have are infatuated with Nurse, highly doubt he gets moved.

Ellis is much more of need than Ekholm. We need a puck-moving RHD which Ellis is.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ellis isn't going anywhere this season. He's part of the core that is going to get a chance at redemption for their playoff no-show this spring. And he's got that great $2.5M cap hit this season which is a spectacular fit for a team that aims to contend. So folks can just forget right about any thought of Ellis being traded this year.

He could be a target for teams NEXT summer, though. Either as a UFA, or if he gets an extension that doesn't fit with his performance or the team's payroll structure then next summer the clock probably starts ticking on Nashville's approach to the expansion draft, and Ellis on an uncomfortably large contract is something I'd consider expendable in the expansion draft preparations.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I'm not sure the oilers would do that... when healthy and playing to their potential, they are both smart, two-way D capable of 40 points. I think Ellis has his head screwed on a little bit more tightly, but he's also older and didn't play as well as he is now when he was Klef's age.

When Ellis was Klef's age, he put up back to back 27 point seasons (albeit one was a shortened season) and was playing 16-18/night. He wasn't already on (or asked to be on) a top pairing.

Klef had a bad season by his standards, but he's still young and signed to a great contract. Why would Edmonton add a 10th pick for the purpose of moving laterally on skill, slight upgrade on consistency and experience and (presumably) add significant salary?

My guess is that it would have to be something like 10th + Benning + Bear/Jones. Gives Nash a stop gap, NHL level D (that himself still has some potential), plus a decent D prospect + a 1oth. Why do NSH downgrade in the short term? They don't unless they don't feel that they can afford Ellis... and if they do, then this is a pretty solid return. Benning can fill in and makes only $2M. Bear/Jones + 10th could make them forget Ellis in 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad