Value of: Ryan Ellis or Dante Fabbro

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
What would be he value of Ryan Ellis or Fabbro? If Nashville tried to reSign him what type of package would they want

Will Nashville try to re-sign Ellis/ can they ?

Buffalo could really use Ellis or Fabbro ( even with Dahlin), but unfortunately Nashville and Buffalo are not good trade partners here ( such as for O’Reilly)

But I’m still interested in what both of these guys values would be in a deal since Ellis could be a player to watch next offseason.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
We can sign Ellis and I don't believe we have any plans to trade him. Fabbro probably isn't going to be traded until we figure out how much Ellis wants on a contract.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why would they trade either guy? I'm sure they can sign Ryan Ellis, and even if they can't they are a championship contender you DO NOT Trade Ryan Ellis

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
With Rinne's contract and Stalberg's buyout ending we'll have enough for Ellis even if the cap doesn't rise that much. If we trade Ellis we'd need a replacement +.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Juulsen or Mete and 3 second rounds picks, assuming the Habs are stubborn and refuse to blow it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They have in summer of 2020 2 D and 5 F signed. They need to sign 2G, 5D, and 8F with around $32M+ cap raise to play with. A few of these are RFAs and Ellis, Josi, Saros and Rhinne retires.

Say Saros gets $5M as starter and Josi gets $8M on next contract. Fiala and Tolvanen will want more than $1M (say each get $3M bridges)

That puts them needing 1G/4D/5F with $`13M+ cap raises. One of tem is Ellis. This will be difficult to sign Ellis to say a $5M+ contract.

I think Ellis cant be signed. I see Nashville trading him this offseason.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
They have in summer of 2020 2 D and 5 F signed. They need to sign 2G, 5D, and 8F with around $32M+ cap raise to play with. A few of these are RFAs and Ellis, Josi, Saros and Rhinne retires.

Say Saros gets $5M as starter and Josi gets $8M on next contract. Fiala and Tolvanen will want more than $1M (say each get $3M bridges)

That puts them needing 1G/4D/5F with $`13M+ cap raises. One of tem is Ellis. This will be difficult to sign Ellis to say a $5M+ contract.

Yeah, this is so wrong.

Johansen - 8
Forsberg - 6
Turris - 6
Arvidsson - 4.25
Bonino - 4.1
Jarnkrok - 2

Let's say we want to ignore the bridge deals for Fiala and Tolvanen and give them an Arvidsson type contract. Say $5 million each. Then we have a few million for Sissons and Hartman and then fill in the rest with cheap guys.

Now we give $8 million to Josi (I don't think he'll cost that much) but let's say he does and we give $6 million to Ellis. That keeps our top 4 intact and let's us go cheap with a guy like Fabbro and somebody else or the Irwin/Weber types we've had if we trade Fabbro.

This gets us to $76.1 million. The cap next season is projected between $78-82 million and will likely rise again before the contracts even come up. At worst though, it's going to cost us someone like Bonino, not Ellis.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

What exactly are your projected cap raises?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The cap is going to be a tricky issue at some point for us. I'm also very open to trading one of Josi/Ellis this offseason in order to maximize return. I say this because I believe Ellis is going to cost ~6M and Josi ~7M. If those were their numbers, our top 4 d would have a caphit of 25.75M and that's with only 1 year of cap friendly hit on Ekholm. While I think it'd be possible to fit everyone under the cap I don't think it's wise to tie up that much capspace in just 2/3rds of the d group. If the cap was to rise up to 84 M you're still looking at 30.6% of the cap tied up in top 4 d with a Subban and Ekholm extension looming.

At some point it would be good to trade someone and I think this draft is an excellent opportunity if we could trade Ellis for a young NHL ready dman which there are a few dmen in this draft that are projected to be NHL ready. Beyond cap savings it helps keep the dgroup younger. Right now all our dmen are ~27 years old. They're all going to start declining around the same time. I would like to bring in some younger dmen.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
The cap is going to be a tricky issue at some point for us. I'm also very open to trading one of Josi/Ellis this offseason in order to maximize return. I say this because I believe Ellis is going to cost ~6M and Josi ~7M. If those were their numbers, our top 4 d would have a caphit of 25.75M and that's with only 1 year of cap friendly hit on Ekholm. While I think it'd be possible to fit everyone under the cap I don't think it's wise to tie up that much capspace in just 2/3rds of the d group. If the cap was to rise up to 84 M you're still looking at 30.6% of the cap tied up in top 4 d with a Subban and Ekholm extension looming.

At some point it would be good to trade someone and I think this draft is an excellent opportunity if we could trade Ellis for a young NHL ready dman which there are a few dmen in this draft that are projected to be NHL ready. Beyond cap savings it helps keep the dgroup younger. Right now all our dmen are ~27 years old. They're all going to start declining around the same time. I would like to bring in some younger dmen.

Don't want to trade any of the top 4 D but the bolded part I agree with.

John Carlson is the only high end defenseman on the market this off-season, and there are a lot of teams starving for a top 2/top 4 defenseman, which means we would have all the leverage in the world if we were to trade one of our top 4 D.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just wait for the next expansion draft. Ellis can be afforded until then at least, and if Fabbro pans out as an exempt player who can step in, then keeping them both in the meantime provides some natural options. Trading either one of them now when the team has no real glaring need would be an unforced error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad