Player Discussion Ryan Dzingel (LW) 2021 Edition

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think DJ has for the moment anyway the top 3 lines figured out that he likes so far. I would guess that Dzingel will start on the 4th line & have to work his way up or replace someone above him who does poorly or gets injured. I would love to see Stepan replaced, but given what it cost them to get him I doubt he is replaced anytime soon or until the trade deadline anyway.

Hopefully, they are able to move a good number of their UFAs by the TDL, some I imagine they won't be able to move & will be stuck with them until the end of the season. Funny how things turn out, I thought Dadonov would be on the top line when he was acquired & C. Brown on the 3rd line & here we are with a $5 mil Dadonov on the 3rd line & C. Brown with more pts making less money playing on the top line.

Tkachuk - Norris - C. Brown
Stutzle - Stepan - Batherson
Paul - White - Dadonov
Dzingel - Tierny - Watson

Stepan and Brown stick out like sore thumbs on their lines, and Dzingel really needs to be on an offensive line to be effective.

I see two potential solutions;

Move Stützle to center

Dzingel-Stützle-Batherson

Or move Brown to Tierney's wing, they have great chemistry and would be a matchup line as opposed to a typical 4th

Tkachuk-Norris-Dzingel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stepan and Brown stick out like sore thumbs on their lines, and Dzingel really needs to be on an offensive line to be effective.

I see two potential solutions;

Move Stützle to center

Dzingel-Stützle-Batherson

Or move Brown to Tierney's wing, they have great chemistry and would be a matchup line as opposed to a typical 4th

Tkachuk-Norris-Dzingel
First, let me say that it's possible, however, this coach loves C. Brown & since he has been playing well I doubt he gets demoted although of almost everyone on this team C. Brown is the most likely to take it without pouting. Second, I'm not sure this coaching staff is ready to put another rookie (Stutzle) in a centre position, it's possible, but I don't see it.

Third, this coaching staff doesn't know Dzingel & has no idea nor do we how effective this guy is going to be given he has kind of sucked since he left here. Dzingel with Tkachuk & Norris makes the most sense to me, but keep in mind that it hurts C. Brown with less chance of him producing too given he has just started to contribute offensively more or it seems like it. It will certainly be interesting to see what they do with the lineup when Dzingel is ready because it seems the coach has three lines now that he likes.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Is Dzingle out of the quarantine dog house yet?

I believe he is eligible to leave on the 28th of February, meaning he should be available to practice the next day.

Man I would lose my mind being in the same hotel room for two weeks straight. I hope they gave him one of those suite type rooms with a kitchen and balcony.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Still hilarious that we traded him, got back a really decent return, lost a good piece in Duclair for nothing randomly and really ended up getting Zinger back for nothing while he ends up taking Duclair's old number, so strange and good for us, super curious what his game is looking like, I have next to no expectations for him so I won't be overly dissapointed if he is invisible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Still hilarious that we traded him, got back a really decent return, lost a good piece in Duclair for nothing randomy and really ended up getting Zinger back for nothing while he ends up taking Duclairs old number, so strange and good for us, super curious what his game is looking like, I have next to no expecatations for him so I won't be overly dissapointed if he is invisible.

Using Duclair number 10 after that trade and everything that ensued is pretty funny ! Hope he plays as well as Duke did for us last year.

I had a weird feeling in my stomach when I saw that number 10 on him.
I'll be honest ... I'm still dealing with Pyatt syndrome to this very day !!! Hopefully he can help me to fully recover.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Don't hold your breath on this guy, he's not going to be anything like the guy who scored 20+ twice for us. That's why they basically gave him away for free. He's a better seat filler than Peca and Haley, pretty much it.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Don't hold your breath on this guy, he's not going to be anything like the guy who scored 20+ twice for us. That's why they basically gave him away for free. He's a better seat filler than Peca and Haley, pretty much it.

Too late the hype has taken control!

7drHiqr.gif

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
We know what Dzingel brings to the table. Hardly anything to get hyped about, run of the mill middle six guy.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

CBJ gave Duclair away for free in the deal that traded Dzingel away and he was hardly a benchwarmer for us.

A fresh start can do wonders for a player. I wouldn't rule out Dzingel returning to his old ways and pacing at around 0.5 PPG.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Regardless he brings a bunch more speed and more offensive instincts than anyone currently being used on the 4th line role.

If Formenton can get in the lineup that would be quite the pair of wingers together.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
CBJ gave Duclair away for free in the deal that traded Dzingel away and he was hardly a benchwarmer for us.

A fresh start can do wonders for a player. I wouldn't rule out Dzingel returning to his old ways and pacing at around 0.5 PPG.
Different times, different situations. Dzingel was on his way to 25+ that year and Duclair wasn't a throw-in, it was a calculated risk that a talented but troubled player could offer something close to replacement level.

Today? We're not even close to that reality and anyone who's hoping Dzingel will be 0.5ppg is going to be disappointed. Is it possible? Of course, anything is possible. Is it probable though? Extremely unlikely.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Look at the deal to get him here - it was opening up roster spots and taking on another teams salary issue.

Nobody should think he is here other than as a warm body.

That said - he has speed and pedigree to score so brings more flexibility to the lineup. I also like that he has the ability to be chippy and defend himself. He is probably a regular for us while Paq and Galch were not so net win.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Different times, different situations. Dzingel was on his way to 25+ that year and Duclair wasn't a throw-in, it was a calculated risk that a talented but troubled player could offer something close to replacement level.

Today? We're not even close to that reality and anyone who's hoping Dzingel will be 0.5ppg is going to be disappointed. Is it possible? Of course, anything is possible. Is it probable though? Extremely unlikely.

Dzingel is a career 0.5 PPG guy. He had 0.45 PPG just one season ago.

It's not extremely unlikely, unless you're reading way too much into his 4 points through 11 games to start the year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Look at the deal to get him here - it was opening up roster spots and taking on another teams salary issue.

Nobody should think he is here other than as a warm body.

That said - he has speed and pedigree to score so brings more flexibility to the lineup. I also like that he has the ability to be chippy and defend himself. He is probably a regular for us while Paq and Galch were not so net win.

Melnyk wouldn't sign off on adding 1-2M in extra salary for a "warm body".

He'll be expected to contribute to the team's success.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Melnyk wouldn't sign off on adding 1-2M in extra salary for a "warm body".

He'll be expected to contribute to the team's success.

Who cares what Melnyk expects at this point. I'm sure as usual his expectations are wildly out of line with reality anyways, so it's good that we seem to have heard less than usual out of him this season.

Dzingle is not expected to come in and set the world on fire for anyone in the know how. If he can come in and be a solid middle 6 player and chip in at 30-40pt pace then it was a total success.

If he doesnt, meh. I guess old Eugene will be the only one losing sleep over that one..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad