Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
The only reason I wouldn't throw Donato there is because I feel like Fiala plays the same role that Donato would on that line. I completely agree otherwise. I don't know how Greenway lasted so long on that line honestly. The guy is not a good skater and he doesn't possess the playmaking abilities that enhance Fiala's game. Donato would've made more sense than anyone else that was put there.

It'll be nice with Kapizov next year & if we somehow end up with Laf, we're going to have a scary Top 6.

Even if we don't get Laf, I really wouldn't have a problem with:

Kaprizov/Donato - Staal - Fiala

Donato/Kaprizov - X - Zuccarello

Parise - Ek - Kunin

Foligno - Sturm - Hartman

Greenway ++ for Top 6 C.

I like it. Donato needs a top 6 role. I would say move Greenway and Dumba plus whatever other draft pick is needed to land a 1C. We might actually be good then.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I do not think Greenway, Kunin, and Zucc deserve top-6 minutes with the way they have been playing. Parise maybe too if he continues to decline.

If Donato isn't traded, he should be given time on the top-2 lines.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I do not think Greenway, Kunin, and Zucc deserve top-6 minutes with the way they have been playing. Parise maybe too if he continues to decline.

If Donato isn't traded, he should be given time on the top-2 lines.

Your response to a player playing poorly is to give his ice time to a worse player? Alrighty then...

Reactions: StrBender

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I like it. Donato needs a top 6 role. I would say move Greenway and Dumba plus whatever other draft pick is needed to land a 1C. We might actually be good then.
#1 C's are almost never traded. They are way to much of a necessity for every org.. Or have to drastically over pay in a trade and hope no NMC gets in the way
Can get one as a UFA
A 2nd pair D, Dumba plus a 2nd / 3rd line Wing in Greenway or Kunin isn't going to get a #1 C

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I mean a year later we turned Granlund into Fiala, Nino into Rask (theyre both cap dumps at this point) and Coyle into Donato. The Coyle for Donato one is really the only one where we lose something we could use as Coyle would probably be a fine 2C here right now, but seeing what he got paid on his extension I’m fine with it. I think Donato will be a good player too, I just doubt it’s here. He needs to go to a place like Jersey or Edmonton.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Donato was a good get, it's not Donato or Fenton's fault that he's being completed misused and wasted.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Guerin basically said Donato is too slow, and I guess that's why he struggles to make the lineup. I bet the kid ends up in a package for something.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
#1 C's are almost never traded. They are way to much of a necessity for every org.. Or have to drastically over pay in a trade and hope no NMC gets in the way
Can get one as a UFA
A 2nd pair D, Dumba plus a 2nd / 3rd line Wing in Greenway or Kunin isn't going to get a #1 C
If we want to get a good Center, you better believe EK will have to be included. Teams aren’t giving up a center without one coming back and ek is pretty our best up and coming Center.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That actually kind of is Fenton's fault. He's the one that signed and traded for too many wings.
It's not completely fair to say that because we don't know what Fenton was going to get for Spurgeon

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Prediction: Donato to Pittsburgh for Jared McCann.

Same age and similar cap hits, but McCann needs a new contract while Donato's got another year on his. Donato has his flaws but he's got a lethal shot and has used it with great effectiveness when given the opportunity. With the number of offseason surgeries the Penguins are facing they might find that appealing, especially if they pursue Domi as a 3C.

McCann flipped between center and LW, but he seemed to spend quite a bit of time at center last year with all of Pittsburgh's injury trouble and he did a servicable job of it. He reminds me a bit of Zucker: great skater, plays a very north-south game and sometimes plays "on an island"... which has its pro's and con's. I'm curious to see how he'd do centering a 2nd line, with Ek's line carrying the heavier defensive assignments. For the price it'd be worth a shot, anyway.

Throw in the Guerin/Rutherford thing and it seems like a possibility.

Reactions: AKL and Dr Jan Itor

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Same age and similar cap hits, but McCann needs a new contract while Donato's got another year on his. Donato has his flaws but he's got a lethal shot and has used it with great effectiveness when given the opportunity. With the number of offseason surgeries the Penguins are facing they might find that appealing, especially if they pursue Domi as a 3C.

McCann flipped between center and LW, but he seemed to spend quite a bit of time at center last year with all of Pittsburgh's injury trouble and he did a servicable job of it. He reminds me a bit of Zucker: great skater, plays a very north-south game and sometimes plays "on an island"... which has its pro's and con's. I'm curious to see how he'd do centering a 2nd line, with Ek's line carrying the heavier defensive assignments. For the price it'd be worth a shot, anyway.

Seems like a solid strategy. Young enough to still be in our young core and seems to be rather close to 20 goals a season over the last three. If it only costs donato it looks like a win if this happens.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

I was impressed with McCann the few times I saw him. I’d do that deal in an instant

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I tend to agree. For some reason, that I can't put my finger on, Coyle is a different player in Boston. I know his "supporting cast" is much better so I did expect him to look better in Beantown, but he's playing with more confidence. He's getting off his shots quicker and attacking the net much more. I'm wondering if it's got to do with playing in his hometown. Dunno.
Tend to agree with this sentiment, last few years, the team culture-desire-drive seems a little 'amiss?
Coyle is likely more motivated in his hometown, familiar surroundings, but it could also be he doesn't need to play above himself, outside of his abilities to contribute in Bawston.
I always felt he had more to give in a Wild uni but also felt he tried too hard, over-exerted thus equating to under-achieving more than not. Weird scientific physics phenomenon _hit. Or psychologic reverse _hit.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The only reason I wouldn't throw Donato there is because I feel like Fiala plays the same role that Donato would on that line. I completely agree otherwise. I don't know how Greenway lasted so long on that line honestly. The guy is not a good skater and he doesn't possess the playmaking abilities that enhance Fiala's game. Donato would've made more sense than anyone else that was put there.

It'll be nice with Kapizov next year & if we somehow end up with Laf, we're going to have a scary Top 6.

Even if we don't get Laf, I really wouldn't have a problem with:

Kaprizov/Donato - Staal - Fiala

Donato/Kaprizov - X - Zuccarello

Parise - Ek - Kunin

Foligno - Sturm - Hartman

Greenway ++ for Top 6 C.
Looks good on paper! See what you all get from this lineup next season? Lots of rivaling teams in search of a valid 2C! Cost could go up to be Greenway and 'Fiala' or 'Dumba'with a potential prospect D added to the 2C coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad