GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
63-37-88
17-46-61
74-42-43
59-20-52/55/12/57

Just what I would personally go with. I know that they have resisted Backes playing center, but to me this gives them 3 lines that are dangerous and a 4th line that can actually play against other teams’ top lines and hold their own. Plus, Heinen is capable of playing center. I think DeBrusk could mesh with the other two. Donato is still not perfect defensively but has shown such an ability to score that I wouldn’t want to take him out, and being with 2 defensively sound veterans would help.

I know that Cassidy loves Nash as 3C and the line you mentioned (43-20-42) has been very effective, just spitballing on what would make them the most dangerous going into the playoffs if healthy (IMO of course). Like you said, good problem to have trying to figure out who to take out of the lineup.

I would love to have DeBrusk and Heinen on either side of Riley Nash or Backes. Have been asking for those two together all year.

I just don't see Cassidy shaking it up that much.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Potential to be an even deeper line up if they extend Rick Nash. More likely to be the 19-20 line up. That 4th line could be awesome.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Donato-Krejci-Rick Nash
Heinen-JFK-Backes
Debrusk-Frederic-Bjork
Kurlay, Accairi
with Donato's play & Bjork right there there's no way I see them extending Nash. Like he could go on a Conn Smythe tear & I still think they'd let him walk because he just doesn't make sense long-term.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Im starting to see a backes/joe thornton/donato line in my visions. Heard a san jose guy on the radio today saying hes heard the sharks are hot for john tavares.

Doesnt take a math wiz to realize they cant give tavares his big money and spot in the middle without clearing some space

Will thornton view retuning to boston on a 1 year as a better chance at a cup instead of staying in san jose?

I salivate for this depth chart

Pastrnak/bergeron/marchand
Backes/thornton/donato
Heinen/krejci/debrusk
Accairi/kuraly/schaller
Bjork/jfk

Let bjork and jfk play when theres injuries so they can replace thornton and heinen next season when cap crunch happens

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Im starting to see a backes/joe thornton/donato line in my visions. Heard a san jose guy on the radio today saying hes heard the sharks are hot for john tavares.

Doesnt take a math wiz to realize they cant give tavares his big money and spot in the middle without clearing some space

Will thornton view retuning to boston on a 1 year as a better chance at a cup instead of staying in san jose?

I salivate for this depth chart

Pastrnak/bergeron/marchand
Backes/thornton/donato
Heinen/krejci/debrusk
Accairi/kuraly/schaller
Bjork/jfk

Let bjork and jfk play when theres injuries so they can replace thornton and heinen next season when cap crunch happens
why would Thornton bolt San Jose when he is their franchise player?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod

To have a final real cup shot. I am all for it, there is nobody in the pipeline who will be as good as jumbo in the next couple of years.

Would be an awesome redemption story too.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
To have a final real cup shot. I am all for it, there is nobody in the pipeline who will be as good as jumbo in the next couple of years.

Would be an awesome redemption story too.
nope, Thornton is like Lucic, tbth..... what this organization has now is what historically they've been fighting against, can you name the marquee player in San Jose (and Wingels doesn't count)

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
nope, Thornton is like Lucic, tbth..... what this organization has now is what historically they've been fighting against, can you name the marquee player in San Jose (and Wingels doesn't count)

Wingels played for Chicago last.

Thornton is an entirely different type of player, far superior offensively to lucic so I don't get your point at all. He had a ppg season and playoffs 2 years ago, scored 50pts last year and put up 36pts in 47 games this year. He's still a monster and has elite playmaking but he is well out of his prime.

I can't think of a true center prospect we have that will be better than him for the next 1-2 years. On the right term and right price he makes sense to me.

Edit: burns, couture, hertl. Not sure what you meant about naming "Marquee" players in SJS either.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Wingels played for Chicago.

Thornton is an entirely different type of player, far superior offensively to lucic so I don't get your point at all. He was ppg season and playoffs 2 years ago, scored 50pts last year and put up 36pts in 47 games this year. He's still a monster and has elite playmaking but he is well out of his prime.

I can't think of a true center prospect we have that will be better than him for the next 1-2 years. On the right term and right price he makes sense to me.
Wingels was a Sharks draftee, 3rd.... he broke in with SJ, BECAUSE New Englanders saw him in Worcester against Providence.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Wingels was a Sharks draftee, 3rd.... he broke in with SJ, BECAUSE New Englanders saw him in Worcester against Providence.

He was never a player anyone talked about, just a depth piece. I have no idea what you are arguing or how wingels fits this conversation.

Edit: nobody except diehards watch providence.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

he told them this year... give me 8 million or I'm gone. hes been feuding a bit with management there for a few years now. and hes almost at the end of the line as far as having a chance to win a cup

from what I understand... joe loves California life and hes stayed there because that's where he loves to live. but hes become a much more competitive player as he aged. is he content with finishing his career with no cups?

now one might argue that if san jose signs Tavares they would have a chance at a cup... but will joe suffer the insult of a huge pay cut? trying to resign kane and hertl while also adding Tavares will cost at least 18 million. san jose already has 61 committed. even if the cap goes to 80 will joe take a minimum salary to stick in san jose?

I'm speculating... theres no guarantee that Tavares will sign there. but will joe agree to the insult of being kept waiting while san jose attempts to replace him?

we got the room to offer joe 4-5 mill. we can do it with respect. we can mend bridges. we can give him a chance to rewrite his legacy. and we can give him a better chance at a cup and better linemates to play with... more fun

its how I see the balls lining up... but of course its joe and the sharks and the bruins that eventualy decide these things. all I can do is lay out a possible scenario for speculation

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Thornton hasn't been a marquee player in a few years, as good as he is.

Pavelski, Burns, Hertl, Couture if healthy.

Hell Marleau was THE marquee player for them. Drafted high, played 20 years with them, holds franchise records in basically every category, and they had no problem moving on from him.

Not sure what your issue is. Players move on from franchises, and vice versa all the time.

Also Tommy Wingels and marquee player in the same sentence....yikes.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What are we fighting over? I am totally baffled by this conversation.

Can someone else interpret this guy for me?I'm lost.

One day, CHRDANHUTCH is going to post a new thread, and every random word he CAPS LOCKED on is going to tell us a story. I'm gearing up for it. Either that, or he has no idea how to EMPHASIZE the right words. Most confusing person on HFboards.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'd honestly be curious to see Backes on the wing with Schaller and one of Kuraly/Acciari centering that line if all the other forwards are healthy. I'm not keen on scratching a DeBrusk or Donato for Noel freaking Acciari.

63 - 37 - 88
74 - 46 - 61
43 - 20 - 17
59 - 52/55 - 42

Great top 6, a 3rd line that has a defensive guy in Nash who has also contributed a ton offensively this season, and two playmakers on his wing, and a physical 4th line that can pop some goals as well.
Yes, yes yes. With all forwards healthy, this is what I want. Backes will still get his minutes, and would be impossible for team to match up against. Nash and Heinen can really help Donato's D deficiencies while also bringing killer instinct to that line.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
One day, CHRDANHUTCH is going to post a new thread, and every random word he CAPS LOCKED on is going to tell us a story. I'm gearing up for it. Either that, or he has no idea how to EMPHASIZE the right words. Most confusing person on HFboards.

You mean like the McBain story in the Simpsons? That would be interesting

Reactions: JRull86

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yes, yes yes. With all forwards healthy, this is what I want. Backes will still get his minutes, and would be impossible for team to match up against. Nash and Heinen can really help Donato's D deficiencies while also bringing killer instinct to that line.

Yeah, Bruins aren't going to move a 6M dollar player to the 4th line to keep a guy like Donato higher up, when he's not ready for the playoffs.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Why the f*** are we talking about Joe Thornton coming back (which is never hapening btw) in the Ryan Donato thread?

Is there any way the last 10-15 posts can just be moved to a different thread?

2018-19 Lineup thread?

Reactions: Dr Hook

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, Bruins aren't going to move a 6M dollar player to the 4th line to keep a guy like Donato higher up, when he's not ready for the playoffs.
It's the playoffs, there is no cap, it doesn't matter. If Nash Bros. are healthy then they have a glut of capable forwards. Next season when both those guys are gone, he'll be back on the third line.

Backes will get his minutes. He'll double shift on the third here or there. Why wouldn't you utilize your players to take the most advantage of the mismatches?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
this org already has it`s vet core in place, a great looking stable of kids and some want Thornton back at 85 years of age? Umm, no thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->