Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
He goes back to Harvard, finishes out the year, and signs once the season is over.

Going on the record saying he doesn't step foot in Boston this year, but makes a run at a roster spot this fall.

Reactions: wintersej

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I have to agree with Mike. I think we see him next year. Maybe the year after.

Depends on what Sweeney decides to do with Nash, I think

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It was interesting to see USA use him as a LW instead of a C. I'd be interested to see if Boston brass views him as a C or LW or a combo of both.

Reactions: Jim Turcotte

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
I hope he signs in April and has a Kreider-like first playoffs. Kid can finish.

Very tempting to give him a shot - he could be our Jake Guentzel in the playoffs.

But with Carlo and McAvoy up for big raises after 18-19, and Bjork and Heinen the year after (not to mention the AHL guys), it might be smart to stash him and get an extra year on his ELC? Tough call for Sweeney.

Reactions: Thrive and Bmessy

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I think you bring him in similar to what they did with Bjork. Give him a some real games and see where he fits. Nothing like having some scoring threats for the playoffs.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Heinen looked great at Denver and needed a year in providence. Bjork looked great at notre dame, he probably needs/needed a year in providence. Krug was great at Michigan state, he needed a year in providence. Jfk was great at bu as was grzcelyk. Both needed a year in providence at least.

What will make donato different?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It was interesting to see USA use him as a LW instead of a C. I'd be interested to see if Boston brass views him as a C or LW or a combo of both.

I'd be surprised if he starts out as a center in the NHL. I believe he wasn't a C early in his Harvard career either.

That's an awful hard position to play for young players. So that is no knock on Donato.

Seems like the trend now is for young forwards who have played C in lower levels (even the AHL) start out in the NHL as wingers and some transition back to the middle, but some never do.

Certainly there are exceptions to this, in particular with elite level players like McDavid/Matthews/Eichel/etc.

JFK might end up being an exception himself. But even St. Patrice started out his NHL career as a RW.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He goes back to Harvard, finishes out the year, and signs once the season is over.

Going on the record saying he doesn't step foot in Boston this year, but makes a run at a roster spot this fall.
He'll get 1 game in Boston first,the JFK plan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Heinen looked great at Denver and needed a year in providence. Bjork looked great at notre dame, he probably needs/needed a year in providence. Krug was great at Michigan state, he needed a year in providence. Jfk was great at bu as was grzcelyk. Both needed a year in providence at least.

Every player is different? Bjork, before getting hurt, was doing well in the NHL. He didn't have any AHL time. McAvoy needed 4 games, and never sniffed the AHL again. Kreider came right out of BC, and played well for the Rangers in the playoffs. Johnny Gaudreau, Brock Boeser....Right out of college and never sniffed an AHL game. Miles Wood and Jimmy Vesey didn't play any AHL games.

No situation is the same. You don't know until you give it a look. Does Donato need AHL time? Probably....But who knows how he adapts to the NHL. Having better players around him could help him a lot.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

How about McAvoy who looked like a grizzled vet stepping into the playoffs straight out of college? Some guys are ready

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He'll get 1 game in Boston first,the JFK plan

If that is what it takes to get him to sign a contract and leave school a year early.

Quite possible his camp doesn't make the demand to burn a year of his ELC and just signs a ELC deal at the conclusion of Harvard's season and goes to Providence and doesn't burn the 1st year of the deal.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston

Boeser, Krieder, and McAvoy are 3 recent examples of players that successfully made the in-season jump. Granted these are all 1st round picks, but it is conceivable that Donato could follow suit. Your point is well taken though - you have to be special to do it.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Very tempting to give him a shot - he could be our Jake Guentzel in the playoffs.

But with Carlo and McAvoy up for big raises after 18-19, and Bjork and Heinen the year after (not to mention the AHL guys), it might be smart to stash him and get an extra year on his ELC? Tough call for Sweeney.

It might make sense from a contract standpoint but if Sweeney thinks he can contribute he'll try and sign him. You also don't want to risk Donato signing elsewhere.

I think Donato goes back to Harvard for the rest of the year then signs with the Bs right after. He'll get NHL time if theres an opportunity,

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'd be surprised if he starts out as a center in the NHL. I believe he wasn't a C early in his Harvard career either.

That's an awful hard position to play for young players. So that is no knock on Donato.

Seems like the trend now is for young forwards who have played C in lower levels (even the AHL) start out in the NHL as wingers and some transition back to the middle, but some never do.

Certainly there are exceptions to this, in particular with elite level players like McDavid/Matthews/Eichel/etc.

JFK might end up being an exception himself. But even St. Patrice started out his NHL career as a RW.

If he starts on the wing it'll be an even bigger log-jam on that side lol

Marchand
DeBrusk
Heinen
Bjork
Krualy
Scahller
Cehlarik

Bjrok and Henien I believe can play either RW or LW so maybe that's where things get shaken up to make room for everyone.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
In one of the recent interviews online of Sweeney, he's asked about Donato. GM DS talked about Donato's offense and how that was ready and it's showing at the Olympics. He specifically mentioned offense because his defense is suspect right now. Donato missed some coverage which cost the US team multiple goals against over several games. That is correctable but it may take some time. I don't see a cup team giving him more than a cup of coffee to burn the 1st year of ELC unless they are desperate from injuries.

Of course, it could be that seeing this US team, Donato knew he had to be THE shooter so he went full on 95% offense/5% defense. Maybe it is easy for him to dial it back down to the current Bruins play of about 65%/35%. Everyone knew McAvoy could play in the NHL but he jumped so fast and was this good so quickly because he could learn and apply what the coaches taught and rarely repeated mistakes. Donato might be just a quick a study but we won't know until he's in the system.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Every player is different? Bjork, before getting hurt, was doing well in the NHL. He didn't have any AHL time. McAvoy needed 4 games, and never sniffed the AHL again. Kreider came right out of BC, and played well for the Rangers in the playoffs. Johnny Gaudreau, Brock Boeser....Right out of college and never sniffed an AHL game. Miles Wood and Jimmy Vesey didn't play any AHL games.

No situation is the same. You don't know until you give it a look. Does Donato need AHL time? Probably....But who knows how he adapts to the NHL. Having better players around him could help him a lot.

Jimmy vesey should have played ahl games. I’m sure his contract in New York was contingent on him not playing in the ahl. Yes, top tier players like mcavoy and Boeser and eichel and vanek can step right in. Those players also were bonefide superstars right from the jump and we’re first round picks and made the leap early prior to turning 20. Could donato step right in like will butcher or Kreider, sure. But i think the system of 1 year in the ahl and then the nhl has worked pretty well in Boston. Unless he’s great, give him time to figure out the pro game, dominate in the ahl and come in year 2

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If he starts on the wing it'll be an even bigger log-jam on that side lol

Marchand
DeBrusk
Heinen
Bjork
Krualy
Scahller
Cehlarik

Bjrok and Henien I believe can play either RW or LW so maybe that's where things get shaken up to make room for everyone.

Or some guys who would likely be in the line-up of some NHL teams, simply end up in Providence for a time. Kinda what happened to Bjork, he's good enough to play in the NHL for many teams, but on a deeper team like Boston rolling a more traditional 4th line, there simply isn't room for him.

Long term, they will likely come to a point where there is a bottleneck for left-shot wingers, even if some go to their off-wing.

Maybe they see Donato as a C and leave him in Providence for a year or so to learn and play as a C.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
In one of the recent interviews online of Sweeney, he's asked about Donato. GM DS talked about Donato's offense and how that was ready and it's showing at the Olympics. He specifically mentioned offense because his defense is suspect right now. Donato missed some coverage which cost the US team multiple goals against over several games. That is correctable but it may take some time. I don't see a cup team giving him more than a cup of coffee to burn the 1st year of ELC unless they are desperate from injuries.

Of course, it could be that seeing this US team, Donato knew he had to be THE shooter so he went full on 95% offense/5% defense. Maybe it is easy for him to dial it back down to the current Bruins play of about 65%/35%. Everyone knew McAvoy could play in the NHL but he jumped so fast and was this good so quickly because he could learn and apply what the coaches taught and rarely repeated mistakes. Donato might be just a quick a study but we won't know until he's in the system.

If you do give him a look this year, maybe its on the 4th line where guys are a little more defensive and can cover for him. Maybe on the 3rd line with the right guys (i.e. Backes & Nash or Nash & Heinen)

Reactions: 00BW

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Jimmy vesey should have played ahl games. I’m sure his contract in New York was contingent on him not playing in the ahl. Yes, top tier players like mcavoy and Boeser and eichel and vanek can step right in. Those players also were bonefide superstars right from the jump and we’re first round picks and made the leap early prior to turning 20. Could donato step right in like will butcher or Kreider, sure. But i think the system of 1 year in the ahl and then the nhl has worked pretty well in Boston. Unless he’s great, give him time to figure out the pro game, dominate in the ahl and come in year 2

I don't have an issue with that, but just saying it's not impossible. We'll see when he signs. They could always give him a game like JFK and see how he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad