Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

What matters is what the Bruins say (meaning Don Sweeney and Butch Cassidy) and as @GloryDaze4877 noted above, they've said nothing but positives. What's posted here is just speculation

What leaks?

Fenway posted something he heard from a B’s employee. They aren’t going to the papers and trashing him.

Hasn't that typically been the approach in the past though? I don't ever recall any public statements about any situations like these but almost always you hear a "I heard from someone close" "I heard from a B's employee" "I heard from a agent who heard from a scout" etc. and then it trickles its way out to the masses.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Absolutely. If Donato was dealt because of those comments, then please.

If you seriously think that Ryan Donato was traded because of those comments then nothing I say here is going to convince you otherwise. Like I said, he was traded for a player that the Bruins had a need for. A need that everyone has been pointing out since the end of last season. So they fill that role by trading a prospect (which is what he is, a prospect) for an experienced player.

He got traded because he was a non-roster prospect that they felt they could spare not because of his comments. I seriously doubt Don Sweeney saw that Globe article and said "He's gotta go" The quote was it made it easier to deal him

Reactions: BMC and trenton1

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I do have CI and do watch a lot of FLA games (big Barkov fan).

Just like people here said Reilly Smith was soft and sucked.. then gets to FLA and puts up pts and PKs, and goes to Vegas and looks good in all situations.

Vatrano isn't "great" or anything, but he's a 20 goal scorer from the 3rd line (sometimes 2nd) and 2nd unit pp.

It's not like Boston has had a hard time with secondary scoring or anything this year, so I can see why we'd be worried about a player turning into a 20+ goal scorer.

Why is it that people are happy with a guy who brings NO goals and "not much else" but if he scores goals and "not much else" it's a problem?

Personally, I thought the B’s did Vatrano a favor trading him to FLA. He is one of those guys that needs to play with skilled guys to succeed, and was not going to be good in the Bottom 6 in Boston.

The HUGE difference I see between Vatrano and Donato was effort. I don’t think that Vatrano was a naturally gifted defensive player, but he busted his ass on the backcheck and tried to be better defensively.

I didn’t see that effort at all from Donato.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
That they do everything anonymously with these 'leaks'?
Lou, the leaks came from the Chiarelli regime. They were leakier than a cracked oil pan.

With the current regime, you're not getting any leaks from them. It's either coming from the player, agent or family.

In Donato's case, someone clearly orchestrated that Globe piece and had it put in a prime spot in the paper as @Fenway stated earlier over a few posts.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Hasn't that typically been the approach in the past though? I don't ever recall any public statements about any situations like these but almost always you hear a "I heard from someone close" "I heard from a B's employee" "I heard from a agent who heard from a scout" etc. and then it trickles its way out to the masses.

Well people are going to say things and if there were issues, someone will speak to someone about them. I don't see the problem? Jimmy Hayes was a great example. Nothing the Bruins said publicly was negative but now we hear about issues with the family and they supposedly had something to do with Jimmy Vesey not signing here.

So?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I’m talking about THIS case. Cassidy and Sweeney said he was a great kid and will be missed. Fenway says that a staffer told him they weren’t happy with the Globe thing and it made his decision easier.

Sounds like the Wild liked Donato anyway, Sweeney was debating it, and Donato’s comments tipped the scales a bit? How is that leaking stuff about his character.

In the past, there have been “leaks” about players, and I’m sure that some of it was sour grapes. We also heard a lot of bad Hamilton stuff after he was dealt, then heard the same stuff out of Calgary, and supposedly CAR is willing to deal him also. Guessing that the B’s weren’t the problem there?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If you seriously think that Ryan Donato was traded because of those comments then nothing I say here is going to convince you otherwise. Like I said, he was traded for a player that the Bruins had a need for. A need that everyone has been pointing out since the end of last season. So they fill that role by trading a prospect (which is what he is, a prospect) for an experienced player.

He got traded because he was a non-roster prospect that they felt they could spare not because of his comments. I seriously doubt Don Sweeney saw that Globe article and said "He's gotta go" The quote was it made it easier to deal him

No, I think he was traded because the Wild think he will be better than what Charlie Coyle has given them. I'm just saying if he was deemed expendable because of that it's ridiculous.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Not everyone is blessed with the ability to articulate. I try not to go over the top when a kid says he thinks deserves something I’m the context of saying he is working harder to achieve those goals. This is tantamount to every persons realization at some point that this life is more difficult then expected.

member 96824

Well people are going to say things and if there were issues, someone will speak to someone about them. I don't see the problem? Jimmy Hayes was a great example. Nothing the Bruins said publicly was negative but now we hear about issues with the family and they supposedly had something to do with Jimmy Vesey not signing here.

So?
That's very true..but outside of Hayes, which was more of a fans vs. Hayes family issue, doesn't it feel like the "rumors and rumblings" always favor the org?

All anecdotal of course and I could very well be tin foil hatting here.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I made a nearly identical reply to the same talking point from Lonnie months ago and he blew it off so you're wasting your time imo

I talk to Lonnie off this board and he’s a great guy. I don’t want to “out” him or anything, but I think he likes to stir the pot and I take some of his posts with a large grain of salt :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That's very true..but outside of Hayes, which was more of a fans vs. Hayes family issue, doesn't it feel like the "rumors and rumblings" always favor the org?

Brad,

I think you would look dashing in a tinfoil hat. I know I couldn’t pull it off :laugh:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
No, I think he was traded because the Wild think he will be better than what Charlie Coyle has given them. I'm just saying if he was deemed expendable because of that it's ridiculous.

I think it was a factor after the fact but if Don Sweeney let that influence his decision on trading Donato then he's not doing his job correctly

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
He seems like a good kid and I wish him well.

Someone stuck a mic in his face and asked a question, and his answer sounded a bit spoiled and whiny.
Let's see, son of a pro athlete, coached by his dad at an ivy league school, drafted by his hometown pro hockey team? I'm shocked he sounded spoiled and whiny. LOL

Heck, I had none of that and I know there were times I sounded spoiled and whiny.

And if I had a dime every time I said something that I regretted, I could have retired many years ago!

I don't think the Bruins "Gave up on him." They dealt from a position of strength to shore up a position of weakness.

Good luck to Ryan, he'll be a good player.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Well you know how things work, eventually things will come out. We all have heard the rumors about why Seguin was traded and rightfully so, we're not allowed to post them here because it's speculation. Look at all the stuff about Mike Hoffman now. If you read the latest it's not clear who the bad guy is or was in Ottawa. Just the nature of the beast

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I talk to Lonnie off this board and he’s a great guy. I don’t want to “out” him or anything, but I think he likes to stir the pot and I take some of his posts with a large grain of salt :laugh:

First off, I'm a jerk. We both know it. :laugh:

Secondly, I do think the counter points to a lot of things need to be discussed more in-depth than they are here at times. So I do play devil's advocate at times, but just to foster and make the discussion more balanced and accurate.

Thirdly, in this case, I think organizationally they've got an internal issue they need to work on/resolve or this kind of situation will continue to happen in the future. It's not about Donato. It's about the team.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
First off, I'm a jerk. We both know it. :laugh:

Secondly, I do think the counter points to a lot of things need to be discussed more in-depth than they are here at times. So I do play devil's advocate at times, but just to foster and make the discussion more balanced and accurate.

Thirdly, in this case, I think organizationally they've got an internal issue they need to work on/resolve or this kind of situation will continue to happen in the future. It's not about Donato. It's about the team.
Lonnie i honestly don't know why I even picked on you earlier in the thread. think i just woke up looking for a fight lol. we butt heads but I enjoy it, you're one of the good ones here.

I've fundamentally disagreed with your position on this topic for a while. When Donato got traded I definitely expected to see posts from you about how the Bruins gave up on yet another skill player & were wrong to ask him to be well-rounded.

I just don't see this as a problem with the organization. They are asking players to do what it takes to win. They're not expecting everyone to be Patrice Bergeron, but you have to play defense in hockey. It is everyone's job. goal scorers don't & shouldn't just get a free pass to go out & dog it in every other area. we've talked about them sending Pasta to the AHL in his early years and while I don't think any of that was performance-related, even if it was the Bruins would be within their rights to expect a young player to improve away from the puck. But they've consistently shown that if a young offensive player produces enough offensively then they'll let them learn the defensive part on-the-job. The problem with guys like Donato & Spooner is just that they didn't produce enough offensively to justify the risk of letting them learn the rest on-the-job.

And you may see these guys get traded and then start racking up points, but the consistent pattern I see is that they end up playing for organizations that won't win anything of significance any time soon and I think the "let them play their own game" mentality is a big reason why. Yes players need to have some creative freedom & "play their game", but it can't come at the expense of the team.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lonnie i honestly don't know why I even picked on you earlier in the thread. think i just woke up looking for a fight lol. we butt heads but I enjoy it, you're one of the good ones here.

I've fundamentally disagreed with your position on this topic for a while. When Donato got traded I definitely expected to see posts from you about how the Bruins gave up on yet another skill player & were wrong to ask him to be well-rounded.

I just don't see this as a problem with the organization. They are asking players to do what it takes to win. They're not expecting everyone to be Patrice Bergeron, but you have to play defense in hockey. It is everyone's job. goal scorers don't & shouldn't just get a free pass to go out & dog it in every other area. we've talked about them sending Pasta to the AHL in his early years and while I don't think any of that was performance-related, even if it was the Bruins would be within their rights to expect a young player to improve away from the puck. But they've consistently shown that if a young offensive player produces enough offensively then they'll let them learn the defensive part on-the-job. The problem with guys like Donato & Spooner is just that they didn't produce enough offensively to justify the risk of letting them learn the rest on-the-job.

And you may see these guys get traded and then start racking up points, but the consistent pattern I see is that they end up playing for organizations that won't win anything of significance any time soon and I think the "let them play their own game" mentality is a big reason why. Yes players need to have some creative freedom & "play their game", but it can't come at the expense of the team.

Thanks, man. I enjoy our back and forth as well, despite us being on opposite ends most of the time.

To me, Donato has very little to do with my point. They got better now, which as a fan, is all that matters. What RD becomes, I couldn't tell you. I honestly don't think he'll be much more than a second line kind of guy, which now that I said it means he's going to be a super star. :laugh:

So I'm not overly concerned that they gave up on him too early as much as I am about seeing the pattern of quite a few young guys having the same issue with the organization. I fear that could be a possible problem at some point, which is far more interesting to discuss than Ryan Donato, IMO.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
btw this is the best thread on this board right now. Once in a while all the best posters come together in some random thread & it's a glimpse into what HF could be if we weeded out all the goofballs. don't let anyone in the trade thread know we're in here having good hockey discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad