Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It just comes off as sour grapes on his part and don't forget the glaring Globe piece that just happened to be written by a non-hockey write as @Fenway pointed out. There's a lot we don't know about here but there's some smoke that all was not well with this kid

And I'll just add that he is a young guy, and a jock at that- not the best combo for perspective and maturity :laugh:. He is probably disappointed about how it all went, to be honest. Unmet expectations and all that. He came in with great fanfare after a strong Olympics, scored some goals early on and was looking like the real deal. Then reality sets in with the hard work of an NHL season against players that are far better than any he's ever played against before and it stopped coming so easy. He didn't exactly light up Providence either, and those were a better class of player than what he'd been up against on a regular basis before. Frustrated, disappointed, going from the star of the show his whole hockey life, to just another rookie in the NHL finding it tough sledding early on and not getting his tired pumped at every turn. Kind of hard to blame him all that much.

Reactions: Chief Nine

member 96824

Who's saying there are character problems? The kid wasn't good enough to play on the Bruins roster this season and he was dealt for a player that is. To me it's not much simpler than that

Maybe I'm reading into the comments around here too much, but a lot of the complaints about his comments seem to be leaning that way.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Maybe I'm reading into the comments around here too much, but a lot of the complaints about his comments seem to be leaning that way.

What matters is what the Bruins say (meaning Don Sweeney and Butch Cassidy) and as @GloryDaze4877 noted above, they've said nothing but positives. What's posted here is just speculation

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is from the now closed Coyle thread, but it probably belongs here:

Was he not loaned out twice to his national junior team in his first two years? It's not like they saw him and said, man he needs to play every game, every situation, FFS. :laugh:

You keep saying this and it’s completely out of context.

In 2014-15 Pasta started the season in the AHL and had 10g/17a in 23 games through December 20th. The B’s called him up for 5 games (he had 1 assist) and they allowed him to play with the CZE team for the WJC’s. After that he was in the NHL for the remainder of the season and had 27 pts in 41 games.

In 2015-16 he started the season in Boston, played 10 games (2g/2a), believe he got hurt until mid December. He played two games in PRO, played in the WJC’s again for conditioning, then had 22 pts in 41 games the rest of the way in Boston.

They were bringing him along slowly AND giving him NHL experience at the same time.

Kind of hard to argue with the results.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I think Donato will probably be a one-dimensional NHL player with somebody. I don’t think he’s a bad kid, but seems a little immature and his comments come across as a bit entitled.

I thought the B’s gave him a pass out of Camp putting him on the NHL roster, so this certainly isn’t me being critical after the fact.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And as I just posted above, that doesn't raise any red flags with you? If this was some kid from a small town in Saskatchewan would it have played out the same? No, he's a local kid with a father who coaches at Harvard and the Boston Globe suddenly is interested enough to send a columnist (who doesn't cover hockey) down to Providence to interview that kid?

That stinks to high heaven and if I were the Bruins brass I wouldn't be too happy about it either

They need thicker skin then.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That they do everything anonymously with these 'leaks'?

How can you prove that? How can we, the public know that it's the Boston Bruins floating whisper campaigns about players? And who has been "bad mouthed" after they left other than Dougie Hamilton? I don't believe the team said anything negative about him publicly

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think Donato will probably be a one-dimensional NHL player with somebody. I don’t think he’s a bad kid, but seems a little immature and his comments come across as a bit entitled.

I thought the B’s gave him a pass out of Camp putting him on the NHL roster, so this certainly isn’t me being critical after the fact.

That seemed to be a pretty common sentiment here, I think, long before the trade happened, and certainly after his play indicated he didn't belong on the roster over other Providence guys

Reactions: BMC

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't have Center Ice anymore so I don't see Florida play unless it is against the Bruins or Rangers. When he was a Bruin I loved his shot but he didn't bring much else.

I do have CI and do watch a lot of FLA games (big Barkov fan).

Just like people here said Reilly Smith was soft and sucked.. then gets to FLA and puts up pts and PKs, and goes to Vegas and looks good in all situations.

Vatrano isn't "great" or anything, but he's a 20 goal scorer from the 3rd line (sometimes 2nd) and 2nd unit pp.

It's not like Boston has had a hard time with secondary scoring or anything this year, so I can see why we'd be worried about a player turning into a 20+ goal scorer.

Why is it that people are happy with a guy who brings NO goals and "not much else" but if he scores goals and "not much else" it's a problem?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This is from the now closed Coyle thread, but it probably belongs here:

You keep saying this and it’s completely out of context.

In 2014-15 Pasta started the season in the AHL and had 10g/17a in 23 games through December 20th. The B’s called him up for 5 games (he had 1 assist) and they allowed him to play with the CZE team for the WJC’s. After that he was in the NHL for the remainder of the season and had 27 pts in 41 games.

In 2015-16 he started the season in Boston, played 10 games (2g/2a), believe he got hurt until mid December. He played two games in PRO, played in the WJC’s again for conditioning, then had 22 pts in 41 games the rest of the way in Boston.

They were bringing him along slowly AND giving him NHL experience at the same time.

Kind of hard to argue with the results.
I made a nearly identical reply to the same talking point from Lonnie months ago and he blew it off so you're wasting your time imo

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I do have CI and do watch a lot of FLA games (big Barkov fan).

Just like people here said Reilly Smith was soft and sucked.. then gets to FLA and puts up pts and PKs, and goes to Vegas and looks good in all situations.

Vatrano isn't "great" or anything, but he's a 20 goal scorer from the 3rd line (sometimes 2nd) and 2nd unit pp.

It's not like Boston has had a hard time with secondary scoring or anything this year, so I can see why we'd be worried about a player turning into a 20+ goal scorer.

Why is it that people are happy with a guy who brings NO goals and "not much else" but if he scores goals and "not much else" it's a problem?

because that seems to be the Bruins way for decades. it seems to work for them overall, as they are generally always good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad