Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Well when someone says he deserves to be in Boston when he clearly doesn't makes me wonder about his attitude. He was given the red carpet treatment from the moment he signed his contract- he went straight to the big club from college while most players go to the AHL to gain some pro experience & in the long run that may have been detrimental to his development.

Don't get me wrong- he's clearly got talent and I think he can become a good player. He's going to have to work at it but if he thinks he deserves to be in Boston now that tells me he might be a little entitled in his thinking which is not going to help him achieve his goal of getting back to the NHL
These are his words from that piece - sounds a whole lot more hard working and set on a goal than he does an entitled kid.

““It’s definitely emotionally hard,” he said. “I want to be there, and I believe that I deserve to be there, but it’s not my call. And I’m going to do everything in my power to do everything to get better as a player here so when I do get my chance again, they have no choice but to keep me up.”

“There’s definitely things I need to work on,” Donato said, “and the strength thing is one thing. I know last year nobody would say that I was getting pushed off my skates. I think it’s something people say he’s fallen down a few times, maybe it’s a little bit of nerves, maybe a little excited to play, but I know I’m a strong hockey player. I’ve had people at every level tell me I’m strong with the puck, so all of a sudden to have it said now, I know my abilities.”

“I’ve done it before,” said Donato. “I know. And by no means that I’ve reached my abilities either. I truly believe that I can be not just an NHL player but a high-impact NHL player. A 30-goal scorer is something I aspire to be.”

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If Donato doesn't fix the holes in his game he will be Frank Vatrano 2.0. I think he can do it but will he put in the effort? Stay tuned...

Sounds good to me. Frank Vatrano is on pace for 30 goals this season.

Donato has one massive weakness, it's his skating, specifically his balance on his skates. That's why he loses so many puck battles, just terrible mechanics. If he can fix that he'll be fine.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sad to see him go but he was in a tough spot behind Marchand, Debrusk and Heinen at LW, with some others in the mix too.

Theres no doubt he has a world class shot. Reminds me of Vatrano.

Reactions: HustleB

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was told by a senior member of the Bruins traveling party that this column in the Globe a couple of days ago made Sweeney's decision easier.

He’s in Providence, but Ryan Donato insists, ‘I know I’m an NHL player’ - The Boston Globe

“It’s definitely emotionally hard,” he said. “I want to be there, and I believe that I deserve to be there, but it’s not my call. And I’m going to do everything in my power to do everything to get better as a player here so when I do get my chance again, they have no choice but to keep me up.”

In the end, this could be a good deal for both the Bruins and Wild. Ryan might flourish away from Boston and if so good for him.

Something I have learned over the years is that management is never thrilled when they see a player in the minors talking to the Boston media. There was a classic example at the turn of the century when a high profile Red Sox prospect was WAIVED 2 days after complaining to the Globe and the Red Sox got nothing for him when the Angels claimed him.

I wish Ryan all the best.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I was told by a senior member of the Bruins traveling party that this column in the Globe a couple of days ago made Sweeney's decision easier.

He’s in Providence, but Ryan Donato insists, ‘I know I’m an NHL player’ - The Boston Globe

“It’s definitely emotionally hard,” he said. “I want to be there, and I believe that I deserve to be there, but it’s not my call. And I’m going to do everything in my power to do everything to get better as a player here so when I do get my chance again, they have no choice but to keep me up.”

In the end, this could be a good deal for both the Bruins and Wild. Ryan might flourish away from Boston and if so good for him.

Something I have learned over the years is that management is never thrilled when they see a player in the minors talking to the Boston media. There was a classic example at the turn of the century when a high profile Red Sox prospect was WAIVED 2 days after complaining to the Globe and the Red Sox got nothing for him when the Angels claimed him.

Don't think he was ready but I believe he'll outperform every prospect we've got,eventually.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

The Bruins brass need to stop acting like they are the Patriots. Nothing he said there was a bad thing.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
What did he say wrong? Clearly the Bruins didn't have the confidence to play him in all situations.

Come on Lou. It's poor that he said that. What did he think, he was going to be on the PK and PP1? That's a comment from an entitled whiner just like Ryan Spooner. Amazingly enough, he's not as good as he thinks he is. Donato keeps that attitude he'll be in the same boat. It's really hard to root for anyone who says crap like that

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Come on Lou. It's poor that he said that. What did he think, he was going to be on the PK and PP1? That's a comment from an entitled whiner just like Ryan Spooner. Amazingly enough, he's not as good as he thinks he is. Donato keeps that attitude he'll be in the same boat. It's really hard to root for anyone who says crap like that

Yeah, there are a number of ways he could have put that if he didn't mean what it seems like he means. He' basically said the reason he sucked here was that the coaches didn't have confidence in him. Okay. He's better served asking why that was the case then complaining. I still think he could be a good player down the line, and am not glad he's gone, but he was not ready for the NHL, at least not on a good team.

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What did the Bruins brass say?

Something I have learned over the years is that management is never thrilled when they see a player in the minors talking to the Boston media

From Fenway's post.

Reactions: HustleB

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yeah, there are a number of ways he could have put that if he didn't mean what it seems like he means. He' basically said the reason he sucked here was that the coaches didn't have confidence in him. Okay. He's better served asking why that was the case then complaining. I still think he could be a good player down the line, and am not glad he's gone, but he was not ready for the NHL, at least not on a good team.

It just comes off as sour grapes on his part and don't forget the glaring Globe piece that just happened to be written by a non-hockey write as @Fenway pointed out. There's a lot we don't know about here but there's some smoke that all was not well with this kid

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

it's comments from a guy who felt he'd be able to do it? Didn't take it as whining, he didn't even say he deserved the confidence.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Something I have learned over the years is that management is never thrilled when they see a player in the minors talking to the Boston media

From Fenway's post.

And publicly both Cassidy and Sweeney said nothing but nice things about the kid after the trade.

Your point?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

It just comes off as sour grapes on his part and don't forget the glaring Globe piece that just happened to be written by a non-hockey write as @Fenway pointed out. There's a lot we don't know about here but there's some smoke that all was not well with this kid

There is always "smoke" with ex_bruins

Reactions: LSCII

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

From Fenway's post.

And as I just posted above, that doesn't raise any red flags with you? If this was some kid from a small town in Saskatchewan would it have played out the same? No, he's a local kid with a father who coaches at Harvard and the Boston Globe suddenly is interested enough to send a columnist (who doesn't cover hockey) down to Providence to interview that kid?

That stinks to high heaven and if I were the Bruins brass I wouldn't be too happy about it either

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
it's comments from a guy who felt he'd be able to do it? Didn't take it as whining, he didn't even say he deserved the confidence.

Confidence and ability are two different things. He was missing the latter and apparently feels he knows better than the coaching staff.

It's whining

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

From Fenway's post.

I mean he did say he felt like he "deserved" to be in Boston, but it wasn't his decision. That's kind of taking a shot at management. I like Donato and think he'll be a good NHLer, but what did he do while up with Boston to "deserve" to stay?

member 96824

It's always funny when the "character problems" don't show up until Part 2, page 25, and always seems to happen just after a player is dealt.

Reactions: LSCII

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It's always funny when the "character problems" don't show up until Part 2, page 25, and always seems to happen just after a player is dealt.

Who's saying there are character problems? The kid wasn't good enough to play on the Bruins roster this season and he was dealt for a player that is. To me it's not much simpler than that

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
What did he say wrong? Clearly the Bruins didn't have the confidence to play him in all situations.

You earn ice time and confidence on a good team by working in all situations, practice, fore check,back check, so forth. Kids got an a+ shot but has a lot to work on when the pucks not on his stick, that's been the big dig on him.

A response of *paraphrase* "My coaches aren't confident in me and that affects my play" and a response of "Letting me go play in different situations def helps build my confidence" are vastly different and show differences in how a player perceives his situation and how he'll react in that situation. screams of, give me what I wan't not what I earn.

I'll point back to the beginning of the year when he was on the 1st power play and played on Krejci's wing and didn't accomplish much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad