Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Start

May 8, 2018
The disconnect was saying the entire 3rd line was essentially benched, which was the part I was disagreeing with. Donato didn't take many shifts himself in the 2nd period, like you said special teams had a part to play. If you want to call that a benching specifically towards Donato to be honest I agree with you.

Fair, I admittedly exaggerated the third period part.

Reactions: BruinDust

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Noticing a Donato far more willing to get his nose dirty and not bail on plays, that`s a good sign. That line not getting it done in the production category but really liking all 3 of their games, all working hard, man do I ever wish they`d get rewarded

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Donato has been better compete wise since coming up, but he still could use time in Providence. He's just to easy to knock off the puck and while I appreciate him willing to battle, he loses most. Donato also needs to slow things down. It seems like so many times that he's thinking faster than he can move and in turn he loses the puck.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Noticing a Donato far more willing to get his nose dirty and not bail on plays, that`s a good sign. That line not getting it done in the production category but really liking all 3 of their games, all working hard, man do I ever wish they`d get rewarded

I like their games, but the line isn't really jelling.

It all starts with JFK and Heinen, defensively they're absolutely fine (most of the time). They're smart players who can generally win the puck back. Offensively tho.... JFK has some seriously lack of something in his game. Very straight forward, always wants to pass, wants to win the puck back but then immediately dish to his linemates. He hardly ever gets creative with the puck. Heinen, I see him WANTING to make plays but both he and JFK aren't world beaters on their skates and aren't able to fly the zones very well.

Last night I saw, Heinen was trying his damn best to elevate the play of his linemates, but he often tried to do too much by himself, mostly because JFK isn't actively doing much to support him when Heinen dangles a guy or two. Donato, is also in his own world so either he's out of position or in perfect position for a grade A chance.

I think I enjoyed watching (offensively) the Bjork JFK and Heinen line more.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like their games, but the line isn't really jelling.

It all starts with JFK and Heinen, defensively they're absolutely fine (most of the time). They're smart players who can generally win the puck back. Offensively tho.... JFK has some seriously lack of something in his game. Very straight forward, always wants to pass, wants to win the puck back but then immediately dish to his linemates. He hardly ever gets creative with the puck. Heinen, I see him WANTING to make plays but both he and JFK aren't world beaters on their skates and aren't able to fly the zones very well.

Last night I saw, Heinen was trying his damn best to elevate the play of his linemates, but he often tried to do too much by himself, mostly because JFK isn't actively doing much to support him when Heinen dangles a guy or two. Donato, is also in his own world so either he's out of position or in perfect position for a grade A chance.

I think I enjoyed watching (offensively) the Bjork JFK and Heinen line more.

I think we are seeing a solid growth in JFK`s overall game. Not sure he`ll ever provide much in the way of flash or anything. I`m far more concerned or focused on JFK learning the nuances of the game to improve and I think the other aspects fall into place. It`s clear that the coaching staff have worked with him on where to be and how to play in the D zone and while this is going on, we sometimes see that player perhaps initially not produce much as they are so focused on not doing the wrong thing defensively they become a touch hesitant in other areas.

He`s not a speed guy so we`ll not see him blaze by anyone, he`s not really a wizard with the puck on his stick so likely won`t see him undress too many NHL`ers but even on the assist on Wagner`s goal, not every NHL player will make that play or attempt that play. Now, Wags did the work to corral the puck but JFK`s decision to attempt that rather than just make the simple and safe play off the boards was impressive.

Thought Donato and Heinen`s puck pursuit was fantastic last night, not getting a ton of TOI but when on, they don`t allow the opponents easy plays, now, all 3 aren`t with the big club to be Selke finalists, would be nice to see some offense and they are trying, not sure I`ve pulled this hard for a line like I do for these guys. I`m an admitted Heinen fan boy but I think all 3 have clearly worked hard to improve and it`d be great to see them all rewarded

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Weakness for Ryan Donato: his strength on the puck - The Boston Globe

The latest to sit: Ryan Donato, who took a healthy scratch Saturday against the Rangers, tagged with a “DNP, coach’s decision” for the first time since Jan. 1.

The hard-shooting Donato had one goal in his previous 10 games, but offensive play was not the issue that landed him in the press box (though a left hand bruised Wednesday in Philadelphia was not helping matters). It was his strength on the puck.

Donato is willing to battle, coach Bruce Cassidy said, but isn’t always leaning on the proper edge, inside or outside, or on his toes, or on his heels — whatever the situation may dictate. How to get the upper hand on larger, stronger defensemen is one of the hardest aspects for a young forward to learn.

“He initiates contact. He’s in there,” Cassidy said. “You’re up against big D, you’re going to lose some. He just has to find a way to get in and out of there, stay on his skates a little longer, a little stronger on it. He can make plays when he gets out of there, and he’s willing to go there. I think that’ll be a big improvement in his game over time

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Weakness for Ryan Donato: his strength on the puck - The Boston Globe

The latest to sit: Ryan Donato, who took a healthy scratch Saturday against the Rangers, tagged with a “DNP, coach’s decision” for the first time since Jan. 1.

The hard-shooting Donato had one goal in his previous 10 games, but offensive play was not the issue that landed him in the press box (though a left hand bruised Wednesday in Philadelphia was not helping matters). It was his strength on the puck.

Donato is willing to battle, coach Bruce Cassidy said, but isn’t always leaning on the proper edge, inside or outside, or on his toes, or on his heels — whatever the situation may dictate. How to get the upper hand on larger, stronger defensemen is one of the hardest aspects for a young forward to learn.

“He initiates contact. He’s in there,” Cassidy said. “You’re up against big D, you’re going to lose some. He just has to find a way to get in and out of there, stay on his skates a little longer, a little stronger on it. He can make plays when he gets out of there, and he’s willing to go there. I think that’ll be a big improvement in his game over time

Thankfully he put someone stronger on their skates in there with Accairi who has one goal period

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Backes played his way up to the second line by the end of the game. . .

I'm a Donato fan but have no problem with him getting a night or two off in Boston considering a year in Providence would be ideal for him.

Should have started and remained in Providence this year. He needs to work on his lower core / skating should he want the next level otherwise he is what he is.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
He’s in Providence, but Ryan Donato insists, ‘I know I’m an NHL player’ - The Boston Globe

PROVIDENCE — One year out from what he calls “one of the highlights of my life,” Ryan Donato didn’t expect to be standing here, steps away from the hockey rink he currently calls home.

This isn’t South Korea, where a year ago he was an Olympian wearing a red-white-and-blue jersey, leading a veteran-laden team in scoring. It’s not the Harvard University rink, where he’d starred for years and where he was welcomed back for one final stint following those PyeongChang Games. And it’s certainly not TD Garden, where as a late-season signee he helped last year’s Bruins go two rounds deep into the Stanley Cup playoffs.

No, Donato is in a hallway underneath the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, home to the American Hockey League’s Providence Bruins, where players are doing everything they can to get back to places he has already been. Not quite where the 22-year-old envisioned taking his next hockey step, but the sharpshooting forward understands it’s the only way to get back to Boston.

“It’s definitely emotionally hard,” he said. “I want to be there, and I believe that I deserve to be there, but it’s not my call. And I’m going to do everything in my power to do everything to get better as a player here so when I do get my chance again, they have no choice but to keep me up.”

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
He’s in Providence, but Ryan Donato insists, ‘I know I’m an NHL player’ - The Boston Globe

PROVIDENCE — One year out from what he calls “one of the highlights of my life,” Ryan Donato didn’t expect to be standing here, steps away from the hockey rink he currently calls home.

This isn’t South Korea, where a year ago he was an Olympian wearing a red-white-and-blue jersey, leading a veteran-laden team in scoring. It’s not the Harvard University rink, where he’d starred for years and where he was welcomed back for one final stint following those PyeongChang Games. And it’s certainly not TD Garden, where as a late-season signee he helped last year’s Bruins go two rounds deep into the Stanley Cup playoffs.

No, Donato is in a hallway underneath the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, home to the American Hockey League’s Providence Bruins, where players are doing everything they can to get back to places he has already been. Not quite where the 22-year-old envisioned taking his next hockey step, but the sharpshooting forward understands it’s the only way to get back to Boston.

“It’s definitely emotionally hard,” he said. “I want to be there, and I believe that I deserve to be there, but it’s not my call. And I’m going to do everything in my power to do everything to get better as a player here so when I do get my chance again, they have no choice but to keep me up.”

Has he watched video to see how many areas he needs work to be in the NHL?????????? I may be the minority but I sure hope the Bruins trade this player while he still has some value. If not he should be spending his summer in the Gym and power skating if he improved these two areas it would go along way to getting back to the NHL

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Donato has a lot of work to do if he want to return to Boston- skating, back checking, going into the corners etc. just to name a few of the things he needs to work on. Bringing him directly to Boston last year and this season may have done him more harm than good.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Has he watched video to see how many areas he needs work to be in the NHL?????????? I may be the minority but I sure hope the Bruins trade this player while he still has some value. If not he should be spending his summer in the Gym and power skating if he improved these two areas it would go along way to getting back to the NHL
He’s worked harder than you can imagine (let alone match). He would have been best served to be in Providence for the year but I sure as shit wouldn’t bet against him building a strong NHL career.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i thought he was much improved after the first AHL assignment. more will on the wall, and he
was generating a decent amount of offense. still think he's a player.

Reactions: BadBruins and PB37

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
He’s worked harder than you can imagine (let alone match). He would have been best served to be in Providence for the year but I sure as **** wouldn’t bet against him building a strong NHL career.
I am not saying he has not worked hard (and I am 57 ,I am sure I can not match ) . This however does not mean he is NHL ready. He needs to a lot stronger on the puck to play in the NHL

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Donato has a lot of work to do if he want to return to Boston- skating, back checking, going into the corners etc. just to name a few of the things he needs to work on. Bringing him directly to Boston last year and this season may have done him more harm than good.

It was worth a try. No expert but he seems one dimensional to me, in a sea of other B's prospects that clearly need more experience/growth. Or, perhaps some of those prospects aren't all that good.

What I've seen this season are prospects unable to "take the next step" and grab a roster spot. The word I light on is mediocre. That doesn't mean they're bad players, or can't be contributors in future, but clearly hoping & wishing prospects would fill glaring holes has not materialized for Msrs. Sweeney & Neely.

I would not be unhappy to part with Bjork, JFK, Donato, Heinen, etc., for NHL caliber help.

Nor would I cry if Zboral or Zach Senyshyn were on offer. I don't believe either will pan out in Boston. You guys know more than I do; that's just my feeling.

We shall see.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
It was worth a try. No expert but he seems one dimensional to me, in a sea of other B's prospects that clearly need more experience/growth. Or, perhaps some of those prospects aren't all that good.

What I've seen this season are prospects unable to "take the next step" and grab a roster spot. The word I light on is mediocre. That doesn't mean they're bad players, or can't be contributors in future, but clearly hoping & wishing prospects would fill glaring holes has not materialized for Msrs. Sweeney & Neely.

I would not be unhappy to part with Bjork, JFK, Donato, Heinen, etc., for NHL caliber help.

Nor would I cry if Zboral or Zach Senyshyn were on offer. I don't believe either will pan out in Boston. You guys know more than I do; that's just my feeling.

We shall see.

Heinen is NHL calibre though.Your selling him short.Donato has NHL ready shot but needs to add a bit of muscle.He will make it back.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Heinen is NHL calibre though.Your selling him short.Donato has NHL ready shot but needs to add a bit of muscle.He will make it back.

Perhaps. It seems like none of the prospects have taken the ball & run with it, though. I'm not blaming them for that. Taking care of the two pressing issues -- 2nd/3rd line legit NHL players -- is Sweeney's responsibility. He has yet to fulfill it.

Reactions: bp13 and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

If Donato doesn't fix the holes in his game he will be Frank Vatrano 2.0. I think he can do it but will he put in the effort? Stay tuned...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If Donato doesn't fix the holes in his game he will be Frank Vatrano 2.0. I think he can do it but will he put in the effort? Stay tuned...
Why are people questioning his effort? There’s been absolutely ZERO to support him as a slacker- if anything what we know points to the exact opposite.

Look at the kids who’ve stepped in and stepped up. Other than Pasta and MacAvoy they’ve all had at least a full year in Providence. You could even go through the whole roster and would find the vast majority spending good time in the minors before making the jump. No reason to think he would be any different.

And FWIW Vatrano has 20 goals this year.

Perhaps. It seems like none of the prospects have taken the ball & run with it, though. I'm not blaming them for that. Taking care of the two pressing issues -- 2nd/3rd line legit NHL players -- is Sweeney's responsibility. He has yet to fulfill it.
The ones that have like Heinen, Debrusk and Kuraly had at least that year in Providence to work out their complete game...

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Why are people questioning his effort? There’s been absolutely ZERO to support him as a slacker- if anything what we know points to the exact opposite.

Look at the kids who’ve stepped in and stepped up. Other than Pasta and MacAvoy they’ve all had at least a full year in Providence. You could even go through the whole roster and would find the vast majority spending good time in the minors before making the jump. No reason to think he would be any different.

And FWIW Vatrano has 20 goals this year.

The ones that have like Heinen, Debrusk and Kuraly had at least that year in Providence to work out their complete game...

Well when someone says he deserves to be in Boston when he clearly doesn't makes me wonder about his attitude. He was given the red carpet treatment from the moment he signed his contract- he went straight to the big club from college while most players go to the AHL to gain some pro experience & in the long run that may have been detrimental to his development.

Don't get me wrong- he's clearly got talent and I think he can become a good player. He's going to have to work at it but if he thinks he deserves to be in Boston now that tells me he might be a little entitled in his thinking which is not going to help him achieve his goal of getting back to the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad