Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
A tough night for Teddy. He got stonewalled, boarded, robbed on the breakaway, ragdolled. I think his compete level is better than at the beginning of the season. The real weakness is his strength. The whole kid line has no real jam not only him. Looks like he will snipe it when open and uncontested for the time being. I don't think he will have that kind of luxury very often in the playoffs.

God. I love that analyst so much better better than "THESE GUYS ARE SAWFTTTT. SEND ALL THEM DOWN TO PROVIDENCE. SO SOFTTTTT"

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
That entire kid line, even though they have been playing better, and sometime controlling play, they haven't scored.
They all need to start scoring to help the team.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Rationalize any way you want, but I'll say it again, being team worst is not helping his cause.

upload_2019-1-17_14-39-22.png

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He was -11 in 26 games between october and december, while he is + 1 in 7 games in january. If that's the measuring stick, at least it seems he is learning something.
Good point didn’t know that. He still isn’t ready for the nhl needs time to get his game balanced .

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Donato is in serious need to add mass , its not funny

He got bulldozed several times tonight...

I don't know, JFK is just ask skinny ....but maybe can get away with it with his quickness?

Donato at this rate will lose all of his teeth and look like Burns or grandpa

False Start

May 8, 2018
WAs there live.

He sucked. But still managed to get grade A scoring chances. Missed the net twice hit the goalie in the chest once.

benched basically the entire 2nd period (along with the entire 3rd line) and until the end of the game.

Can't fault him for the effort but he makes too many mistakes. Not hard enough along the boards, loses the puck too easily. Weak.

JFK wasn't much better in this game. Heinen atleast made plays defensively.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
I’ll bet they bring in a third line center and put Backes and Nordstrom on the third line watch and see they’ll put them together and make a shut down line to match up in the playoffs

Reactions: Saxon Eric

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Rationalize any way you want, but I'll say it again, being team worst is not helping his cause.

View attachment 176793

It's not good, but at least he's generating some scoring chances.

Meanwhile Acciari, whose supposedly in the line-up because of his ability to prevent the other team from scoring (he certainly help his own team score) isn't far behind at minus 8.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
WAs there live.

He sucked. But still managed to get grade A scoring chances. Missed the net twice hit the goalie in the chest once.

benched basically the entire 2nd period (along with the entire 3rd line) and until the end of the game.

Can't fault him for the effort but he makes too many mistakes. Not hard enough along the boards, loses the puck too easily. Weak.

Well they all had roughly 10 mins. of ice time, so unless they played half of the 1st period, doesn't seem like they were benched at all.

Good thing you were there live.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

View attachment 176793

Not for nothing, but Krug the veteran is -8

I think Donato could sit, he’s not waiver eligible yet right? If so, personally I would have him take a seat and give Frederic or Senyshyn a cup of coffee

Trouble is, Donato has been playing better and he has shown he can put the puck in the net, so there’s no guarantee that calling up another young guy (one with no nhl experience for that matter) will pay any more dividends in to Donato

False Start

May 8, 2018
Well they all had roughly 10 mins. of ice time, so unless they played half of the 1st period, doesn't seem like they were benched at all.

Good thing you were there live.

Okay so they maybe had a few shifts between the 2nd and 3rd?

Your point?

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
WAs there live.

This is it in a nutshell. I like his effort, always skating hard. Doesn't shy away too much from dirty areas. And I think he's improved defensively. But he is what he is. At least he's still finding chances to score. Just needs to bury some.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Okay so they maybe had a few shifts between the 2nd and 3rd?

Your point?

My point is what your said was incorrect. They weren't benched. Cassidy may of used them more sporadically depending on the match-up, but he didn't bench them.

Now if you want to say they essentially played 4th line mins. last night, then I would agree with you. 10 mins. a game is about what a 4th line gets.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I keep reading butchy saying "put in his time," and keep wondering if hes talking about donato.. i go back and forth on him.. right now, there seems to be too much pressure on him and he seems to want to shoot it as soon as the puck gets on his stick.. overall i actually really like that line and sure they get pushed around but ive actually been pleasantly surprised at the amount of o-zone time they are able to get.. really fun line to root for

If he means scraping himself up off the ice every other shift, then yes, Ryan has put his time in on that for sure :laugh:

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
He could use some more time in the AHL to learn how to play against bigger players. Maybe if the Bruins pickup another top 9 player without giving up anyone on the roster he gets that chance. If not, he is gonna have to learn in the NHL.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We've been watching Donato now for awhile and he's got one major flaw IMO. (Not to be confused with his only flaw).

And that major flaw isn't size, or weight, or strength (those could be worked on but hear me out). Remember he's over 6 feet tall, he's not big but he's not small either. And he's 22 going on 23, he's not 19 and still growing.

It's balance on his skates. He has by my estimation some of the worst balance on his skates that I've seen in an NHL player. His skating stance is really awkward, getting from point A to point B isn't an issue. He has speed and agility. But his stance is very leaned over he's practically half-falling over before he's even touched by an opposing player. A slight breeze and down he goes. Always in this weird knee-knocked stance.

It affects his ability to win puck battles along the wall. It affects his ability to maintain possession of the puck, especially off the cycle. Think of his stance as the anti-Crosby, whose skating stance is very wide with excellent balance and technique.

For him to achieve his potential he'll really need to work with a skating coach to improve his skating stance IMO.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
My point is what your said was incorrect. They weren't benched. Cassidy may of used them more sporadically depending on the match-up, but he didn't bench them.

Now if you want to say they essentially played 4th line mins. last night, then I would agree with you. 10 mins. a game is about what a 4th line gets.
He is right they were not benched they just don’t play allot in any of the games
Is that good for their development I guess the Bruins know best

Reactions: BruinDust

False Start

May 8, 2018
Already answer in a previous post.

They weren't benched, bottom line.

So i went and found this handy website.

ShiftChart - Hockey Shift Data Visualization

Donato shifts per period:
1: 5 shifts
2: 1 shift
3: 5 shifts

Donato sat from the 1-1 goal (24 minutes into the game) all the way until the 42nd minute of the game. So basically validating what I said, didn't play in the 2nd period.

Now at this point in the game we were playing lots of special teams, 4 penalties this period, 2 for each team.So 8 of the 20 minutes were special teams, the rest of the 12 were divided up between every single player except donato basically.

The third line didn't see a single shift in the 2nd period together after their single shift which happened early in the 2nd. Call it benching or not. That's your opinion I guess. But they alternated lines 1-2-4 for basically the entire period, singling out the third line.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiGBear8

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So i went and found this handy website.

ShiftChart - Hockey Shift Data Visualization

Donato shifts per period:
1: 5 shifts
2: 1 shift
3: 5 shifts

Donato sat from the 1-1 goal (24 minutes into the game) all the way until the 42nd minute of the game. So basically validating what I said, didn't play in the 2nd period.

Now at this point in the game we were playing lots of special teams, 4 penalties this period, 2 for each team.So 8 of the 20 minutes were special teams, the rest of the 12 were divided up between every single player except donato basically.

The third line didn't see a single shift in the 2nd period together after their single shift which happened early in the 2nd. Call it benching or not. That's your opinion I guess. But they alternated lines 1-2-4 for basically the entire period, singling out the third line.

The disconnect was saying the entire 3rd line was essentially benched, which was the part I was disagreeing with. Donato didn't take many shifts himself in the 2nd period, like you said special teams had a part to play. If you want to call that a benching specifically towards Donato to be honest I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad