Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
yeah, I think everybody watching that play knew it would go. great goal. not enough to counterbalance a half of a season worth of minuses. his interviews do suggest an attitude of, "see, I can play the sport well enough sometimes to permit me to disappear again." Ovechkin finally turned it around a bit. maybe after ten years of playing selfishly on a team Donato will pull through in time to be a positive influence on his team's success ratio before retirement. the Millers and Marchands of this team must despise this guy's, uh... "style."
...what?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It was a great goal by him last night no doubt, and he played one of his better games overall as a Bruin, but I still don't see it with him right now. Bruins could just have kept Frank Vatrano and got better production with at least a marginally better 200 foot game.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
agreed -- you don't get it. this team has routinely trimmed the worst relative minuses from the roster over the last decade or so. guys that sink the team with negative "production" get sent away -- that has been the intelligent trend and I have no qualms with suggesting the same fate for this guy who wants to coast in his sweet spot and await a perfect pass, suggesting in an interview that occassionally demonstrating other tendencies allows him the slack to coast again for a while. enough is enough. clueless fans that don't understand that teams which let in more than they score do not win just love those shiny points-getters... no matter how minus they trend... seemingly to an extreme where occasional pretty goals more than make up for being not good enough at the rest of hockey. thankfully the Bruins have mostly operated logically and the fanbase isn't as overwhelmed by the hypnotized within it as many other fanbases seem to be.

They'll give him more time to figure it out I think. Spooner, as an example, was a shiny point getter who did little else and he got over 250 games with the Bruins until they decided enough was enough.

My guess is they see a kid who is willing to put in the work to get better defensively and physically stronger. Apparently he played very hard in Providence and earned his way back up to Boston. I guess we'll see but I think he'll get better and stick around.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It was a great goal by him last night no doubt, and he played one of his better games overall as a Bruin, but I still don't see it with him right now. Bruins could just have kept Frank Vatrano and got better production with at least a marginally better 200 foot game.

I share your concerns about Donato but I thought last night was his best game as a Bruin even without scoring a goal.

Jury is still out though.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I share your concerns about Donato but I thought last night was his best game as a Bruin even without scoring a goal.

Jury is still out though.

I still think he has potential to be a good player, but I don't understand why he didn't stay in Providence for a few weeks after his send down to really work on his complete game. I look at the way the team is handling Senyshyn and question why Donato doesn't get the same program because as of right now he is a one trick pony.

Reactions: BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I still think he has potential to be a good player, but I don't understand why he didn't stay in Providence for a few weeks after his send down to really work on his complete game. I look at the way the team is handling Senyshyn and question why Donato doesn't get the same program because as of right now he is a one trick pony.

You know why.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I agree, it is weird how Senyshyn appears to be on the slow track versus Donato. My best guess is that they always knew ZS was going to take time, and had a "plan" for him when drafted.

With Donato, perhaps they thought he would be a bit closer to "complete", even though that's obviously not the case. I don't know why he's given more leeway. Maybe they feel they can live with his mistakes because they think he's likely a "natural" scorer and that's not really teachable.

Perhaps it's due to his name and/or assurances after he left Harvard. I don't want to believe that but it's certainly possible.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I agree, it is weird how Senyshyn appears to be on the slow track versus Donato. My best guess is that they always knew ZS was going to take time, and had a "plan" for him when drafted.

With Donato, perhaps they thought he would be a bit closer to "complete", even though that's obviously not the case. I don't know why he's given more leeway. Maybe they feel they can live with his mistakes because they think he's likely a "natural" scorer and that's not really teachable.

Perhaps it's due to his name and/or assurances after he left Harvard. I don't want to believe that but it's certainly possible.

There's obviously things behind the scenes that we aren't privy to, but as much as I feel like you do and don't want the above to be true, it does raise some nagging suspicions :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I thought the entire line played much better

Cassidy frustrates me a bit throwing Donato up with Krejci like that was going to change anything.
But Ryan played a good game

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
It's not the first time Bruce has played Ryan in the top six. He likes him.
Agree but I thought with the first line heading for a -3 night he would have tried a bigger move like Krejci to the first line

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
It's not the first time Bruce has played Ryan in the top six. He likes him.

Not sure. Even Cassidy recognizes that Backes's offense is gone. Didn't want to touch the 4th line so it left him only the 3rd line choice. Out of 3 possible players he chose Donato. Heinen had his share on Krejci's line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's a better player than Senyshyn, that's why.

Fact is, Donato is 5th in goals-per-game on this team.

In a game where no Bruin had gotten one past Holtby, he did. Why is always about defensive play and "200 ft. games"? Are we that jaded by the Julien era we think 200 ft. play is the be-all and end-all. That kid line in general got hemmed in really just once last night, late in the 3rd. Otherwise they weren't a defensive liability at all.

Did anyone notice that the shift where Donato scored, he actually kept the puck in the zone by picking off a Washington break-out pass? Guess that doesn't qualify for showing improved defensive play.

Personally I don't care if Donato is ever a strong defensive player. I don't expect him to be. What I want to see is effort and goal-production. And the past few games, he's shown an improved effort in a lot of areas.

I'm not naive enough to say he hasn't gotten a longer look because of who is father is, but it's not just who is father is that is keeping him on the Bruins roster. A lot of it is him and his ability to do something that frankly the majority of the Bruins struggle with, called putting the puck past the goaltender. Especially in tight games and against hot goaltenders, you need natural goal-scorers and shooters.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

In a game where no Bruin had gotten one past Holtby, he did. Why is always about defensive play and "200 ft. games"? Are we that jaded by the Julien era we think 200 ft. play is the be-all and end-all. That kid line in general got hemmed in really just once last night, late in the 3rd. Otherwise they weren't a defensive liability at all.

Did anyone notice that the shift where Donato scored, he actually kept the puck in the zone by picking off a Washington break-out pass? Guess that doesn't qualify for showing improved defensive play.

Personally I don't care if Donato is ever a strong defensive player. I don't expect him to be. What I want to see is effort and goal-production. And the past few games, he's shown an improved effort in a lot of areas.

I'm not naive enough to say he hasn't gotten a longer look because of who is father is, but it's not just who is father is that is keeping him on the Bruins roster. A lot of it is him and his ability to do something that frankly the majority of the Bruins struggle with, called putting the puck past the goaltender. Especially in tight games and against hot goaltenders, you need natural goal-scorers and shooters.
^^^^^
This.

Though I don’t agree that his pedigree somehow qualified him for extra opportunities. In past Development Camps before joining the team, he was clearly superior to other forwards on the roster.
It was just a matter of the coaching staff recognizing that it really had something there and saw fit to develop his talents at the major league level. That patience appears to be paying dividends.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

don`t have to be a Selke finalist but if you listen to coaches out there, they all will, at one time or another when asked questions about younger players talk about often those players need to learn how to play in their own zone and/or without the puck.

Pasta was a project when he first jumped on board, year 1 couldn`t be trusted in his own end, would fall when someone sneezed on him, wasn`t willing to stand in and take a hit to clear the zone and while he`ll not be tapped on the shoulder to preserve a lead now, he`s shown he`s far more committed to making the right play in his zone

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
don`t have to be a Selke finalist but if you listen to coaches out there, they all will, at one time or another when asked questions about younger players talk about often those players need to learn how to play in their own zone and/or without the puck.

Pasta was a project when he first jumped on board, year 1 couldn`t be trusted in his own end, would fall when someone sneezed on him, wasn`t willing to stand in and take a hit to clear the zone and while he`ll not be tapped on the shoulder to preserve a lead now, he`s shown he`s far more committed to making the right play in his zone

All true.

Still, needing to work on his defensive play doesn't mean he deserves or needs to be in the AHL to do so. He's brings an element lacking among the Bruins group, so he's here and not in Providence.

You said it, committment (I'll call it effort) is the key. Like Pasta did, Donato is showing improvement in that area the last few games. Maybe not playing in the Winter Classic lit a fire under him.

Reactions: wintersej

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
All true.

Still, needing to work on his defensive play doesn't mean he deserves or needs to be in the AHL to do so. He's brings an element lacking among the Bruins group, so he's here and not in Providence.

You said it, committment (I'll call it effort) is the key. Like Pasta did, Donato is showing improvement in that area the last few games. Maybe not playing in the Winter Classic lit a fire under him.

Tough part is if the B`s are looking to add, say a Schenn to this team as has been mentioned often here, a kid like Donato might be on the list of players an opponent would like to have in the deal but I`d move Donato in a heartbeat for the likes of Schenn

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tough part is if the B`s are looking to add, say a Schenn to this team as has been mentioned often here, a kid like Donato might be on the list of players an opponent would like to have in the deal but I`d move Donato in a heartbeat for the likes of Schenn

I wouldn't. I've said this before but this organization is lacking in two areas up front both on the big club and in the system.

1) Natural shooting/goal-scoring ability

2) Physical players who can skate and play

Donato is one of the few in the system who projects to be able to bring No.1 consistently. I'd like to acquire Schenn, but if the Bruins are going that route, they need to trade from areas of excess. Those two main areas being young two-way forwards and young well-rounded left-shot D.

Reactions: Tampbear

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
If Karlsson keeps playing the way he has in the last half dozen, it may obviate a Schenn trade. Not comparing him to Schenn, mind you, as he’s a rook and Schenn is a proven top sixer. Patience with Karlsson could pay off now and for the future. And, his salary is a lot easier to swallow.

I like what I see in the College Line. Hope the continued good play continues so DS doesn’t feel the need to surrender any of our youngsters. And that includes Andy Bjork.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Karlsson keeps playing the way he has in the last half dozen, it may obviate a Schenn trade. Not comparing him to Schenn, mind you, as he’s a rook and Schenn is a proven top sixer. Patience with Karlsson could pay off now and for the future. And, his salary is a lot easier to swallow.

I like what I see in the College Line. Hope the continued good play continues so DS doesn’t feel the need to surrender any of our youngsters. And that includes Andy Bjork.
sorry Ratty, I`m a bit lost, maybe I ddn`t go back in the thread enough to catch full conversation but who is Karlsson?

Thx

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wouldn't. I've said this before but this organization is lacking in two areas up front both on the big club and in the system.

1) Natural shooting/goal-scoring ability

2) Physical players who can skate and play

Donato is one of the few in the system who projects to be able to bring No.1 consistently. I'd like to acquire Schenn, but if the Bruins are going that route, they need to trade from areas of excess. Those two main areas being young two-way forwards and young well-rounded left-shot D.

Then the question becomes, what are the Blues looking for I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad