Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this kid has a ton of skill and i really believe he'll be an impact player in the NHL, but he's just not playing his game right now. It's like a night & day difference vs his stint last year. He absolutely should not be in the lineup right now. Bjork has outplayed him, Heinen has outplayed him, and frankly Cehlarik outplayed him in camp/preaseason. Donato should be in Providence rounding out his game and either Bjork or Cehlarik should be in the lineup every night along with Heinen who I think has the best claim to a spot of any of them.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My point more so (and I should have been clear) was Donato hasn't played much high level hockey, and three times less than Marchand did at this point in their careers. Donato is basically a "newborn" in NHL terms.

You're right. But, I think it would help him to progress at a level below where he is at right now (the AHL). He seems to have no confidence and very little sense as to how to play an all-around game at the NHL level.

I always feel a little foolish saying those kind of things as a fan sitting on my couch, but the guy looks basically lost/overmatched 95% of the time he's on the ice.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
bang on. the bruins have basically decided to let donato learn on the fly. there will be
a lot of highs and lows, and it's gonna take a while for him to really figure things out.
i think you'll see a real growth next season.

this kid has a ton of skill and i really believe he'll be an impact player in the NHL, but he's just not playing his game right now. It's like a night & day difference vs his stint last year. He absolutely should not be in the lineup right now. Bjork has outplayed him, Heinen has outplayed him, and frankly Cehlarik outplayed him in camp/preaseason. Donato should be in Providence rounding out his game and either Bjork or Cehlarik should be in the lineup every night along with Heinen who I think has the best claim to a spot of any of them.

I really don't understand why the B's seem so adverse to having Donato go down to PRO, play big minutes, and work on the aspects of his game that need help. I think 40-50 games in the AHL would do wonders, like it has for others.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Cehlarik just got benched for poor play in Providence. Doubt he is getting called up when he is struggling to stay on the ice in the AHL.

Nice try not what Divver posted...."We're trying to work on his puck play off the wall" does not equal getting benched for poor play in Providence.

Crash Bandicoot

Sobriety isn't for wimps.
Feb 25, 2016
My take is this, its all on Don Sweeney and Cassidy. They need to do a better job of assessing talent and line pairs. Hockey might not be like football but if there is anything we learn from Bill Belichick its that you put you people in the best position to succeed. Not plug people into slots and say, make it happen. Donato needs better talent around him and consistently, period. The whole makeup of the bottom 3 lines looks ragged. You'd think they were all found on misfit island. These are highly talented players who are just are not playing well together.

Reactions: Estlin and Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I really don't understand why the B's seem so adverse to having Donato go down to PRO, play big minutes, and work on the aspects of his game that need help. I think 40-50 games in the AHL would do wonders, like it has for others.

Cehlarik is sitting because providence bruins are trying to work on his puck play off the wall.....and Donato is playing in Boston? Something doesn't smell right here. I felt strongly it was a matter of time Donato is sent down to work on all aspects of his game Cehlarik would be the call up? Just very odd the bruins are handling the prospects right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Makes you wonder if promises were made...

Reactions: Salem13

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Makes you wonder if promises were made...

This was my reply to a post in the Heinen thread earlier about possible "promises" to Donato:

Suspected handshake deal to get him to leave college and sign. I support it as he could have just waited a year and then signed with any team. He would have graduated while being a star in his father's team.

He'll be a good player down the road and we are lucky to have him.

I guess? Let me ask you something. Who do these supposed “handshake” deals benefit?

The player and agent may think it’s a good idea at the time because it secures a spot on the NHL team for the player and garners more money for he and the agent. However, if the player struggles and isn’t ready, it’s not good for their development as a player on the ice. It can make things difficult off the ice as well with fan displeasure and/or upset teammates who feel the player doesn’t belong.

I think it’s far more likely that the B’s told him last year if he signed that they would play him in the NHL and burn a year in his contract. They kept playing him because he performed well.

Based off that, they probably hoped he would pick up this year where he left off last regular season. They see his potential, but I highly doubt there was a handshake deal for this season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Nice try not what Divver posted...."We're trying to work on his puck play off the wall" does not equal getting benched for poor play in Providence.

Excuse me? They certainly didn’t scratch him because he was playing well. In all likelihood it was a wake up call to him because he wasn’t responding to his coaches requests of playing along the walls and grinding like they requested.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Donato's offense is there but he just looks completely lost in his own end. Didn't he learn anything about defense in college??? I've said previously I think he's got it in him to be a more complete player but man is it painful to watch him out there when his line doesn't have the puck.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Donato's offense is there but he just looks completely lost in his own end. Didn't he learn anything about defense in college??? I've said previously I think he's got it in him to be a more complete player but man is it painful to watch him out there when his line doesn't have the puck.

Imagine if you could meld him with Nordstrom right now- that would be a hell of a player right there :laugh:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
This was my reply to a post in the Heinen thread earlier about possible "promises" to Donato:

I guess? Let me ask you something. Who do these supposed “handshake” deals benefit?

The player and agent may think it’s a good idea at the time because it secures a spot on the NHL team for the player and garners more money for he and the agent. However, if the player struggles and isn’t ready, it’s not good for their development as a player on the ice. It can make things difficult off the ice as well with fan displeasure and/or upset teammates who feel the player doesn’t belong.

I think it’s far more likely that the B’s told him last year if he signed that they would play him in the NHL and burn a year in his contract. They kept playing him because he performed well.

Based off that, they probably hoped he would pick up this year where he left off last regular season. They see his potential, but I highly doubt there was a handshake deal for this season.

If he proves himself to be blatantly not ready, it is in everybody's best interest for him to develop in Providence. But i think he gets a lot more rope than the average guy given his bargaining position at the time.

Reactions: Blowfish

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Axelsson’s defense was there but he just looked completely lost in the offensive end. Didn’t he learn anything about offense in Sweden??? Man was it painful to watch him out there in the offensive end when the bruins had the puck.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Axelsson’s defense was there but he just looked completely lost in the offensive end. Didn’t he learn anything about offense in Sweden??? Man was it painful to watch him out there in the offensive end when the bruins had the puck.

:laugh: Oh come on now- around 30 points per season on average for Ax. Decent 3rd line production which was where he mostly played after he got his NHL game on track. And as a 7th round pick. Not a great comparison to make.

Reactions: BMC

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
:laugh: Oh come on now- around 30 points per season on average for Ax. Decent 3rd line production which was where he mostly played after he got his NHL game on track. And as a 7th round pick. Not a great comparison to make.
No, not around 30 points per season on average, one season with 36 points and one with 30 and everything else in the teens or 20s. An he spent quite a bit of time with Asgard and Murray on the first line as well. I actually wasn’t comparing them at all, was just pointing out to the poster I quoted that she only likes one dimensional players if they are defensive ones.

Also, you say decent 3rd line production, isn’t that where Donato is currently playing? When axelsson was the same age he was in his first year here after 4 years in the Swedish league, 6 goals in 82 games. Donato has scored 6 goals in 18 games in his career so far. I actually agree with others that he should get his legs under him in providence, but it doesn’t seem the bruins feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad