Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
Needs to get stronger for sure. Players are still big and battle in the AHL so will be interesting to see how he does down there.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Too bad. There were high hopes for Ryan to be a top rookie this year and it has not worked out for him. Wishing him the best and hope to see him return sooner than later.
Young Bruins are really struggling this year. It would be nice to see a few of them break out of this early slump.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad and DKH

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Most young players don't break into the team until they are nearing their mid 20s.
We have gotten spoiled by a succession of kids who break into the team early and now are conditioned to expect it.

McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, Vatrano, and now Donato have all slid into the B's lineup immediately or within a year or so out of Providence.
Most kids don't develop that fast. In fact, rushing a young player can be detrimental to their career. Plenty of players have been ruined because of it.

What we are seeing is normal. Young kids with success have sophomore slumps because they don't know that they have to continuously refine and change their game every year to keep up.
Carlo has just learned that and you see how well he is doing now. Guys like Heinen and DeBrusk are facing that reality now. Bjork and Donato have not even gotten to that point yet.

Patience is a virtue. Especially for a fan.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Most young players don't break into the team until they are nearing their mid 20s.
We have gotten spoiled by a succession of kids who break into the team early and now are conditioned to expect it.

McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, Vatrano, and now Donato have all slid into the B's lineup immediately or within a year or so out of Providence.
Most kids don't develop that fast. In fact, rushing a young player can be detrimental to their career. Plenty of players have been ruined because of it.

What we are seeing is normal. Young kids with success have sophomore slumps because they don't know that they have to continuously refine and change their game every year to keep up.
Carlo has just learned that and you see how well he is doing now. Guys like Heinen and DeBrusk are facing that reality now. Bjork and Donato have not even gotten to that point yet.

Patience is a virtue. Especially for a fan.

Not writing Donato off, he allready prove he could score, potential his still there, he only start his pro career but, can't agree with the bold.

Here's a number of player from the 2014 draft that are playing in the NHL, we are not spoiled, alot of teams are like that because alot of kid make the jump at far younger age than mid 20s.

Anaheim: 7
Arizona: 6
Boston: 6
Buffalo: 4
Calgary: 5
Carolina: 5
Chicago: 3
Colorado: 2
Columbus: 4
Dallas: 2
Detroit: 3
Edmonton: 5
Florida: 4
Los Angeles: 2
Minnesota: 2
Montreal: 4
Nashville: 3
New Jersey: 3
Long Island: 3
New York: 1
Ottawa: 5
Philadelphia: 5
Pitsburgh: 3
San Jose: 4
St-Louis: 5
Tampa Bay: 5
Toronto: 4
Vancouver: 5
Washington: 1
Winnipeg: 4

Things to keep in mind:
- 11 of the 30 team have 5 or more
- Cutoff is important, didn't count the 2013 draft, Bruins have nothing to show for it, while most other teams will add a couple of guys from that year
- From 2014 to 2017, Bruins had 7 1st round pick and 6 2nd round pick in a 4 year span. I'd be curious if any other team had as much chance as the Bruins.
- Bruins didn't had a 1st in 2018, but it could be argue it's too soon for those 18yo and the impact on the Bruins will get much bigger in the next couple of years.

Reactions: Strafer

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Not writing Donato off, he allready prove he could score, potential his still there, he only start his pro career but, can't agree with the bold.

Here's a number of player from the 2014 draft that are playing in the NHL, we are not spoiled, alot of teams are like that because alot of kid make the jump at far younger age than mid 20s.

Anaheim: 7
Arizona: 6
Boston: 6
Buffalo: 4
Calgary: 5
Carolina: 5
Chicago: 3
Colorado: 2
Columbus: 4
Dallas: 2
Detroit: 3
Edmonton: 5
Florida: 4
Los Angeles: 2
Minnesota: 2
Montreal: 4
Nashville: 3
New Jersey: 3
Long Island: 3
New York: 1
Ottawa: 5
Philadelphia: 5
Pitsburgh: 3
San Jose: 4
St-Louis: 5
Tampa Bay: 5
Toronto: 4
Vancouver: 5
Washington: 1
Winnipeg: 4

Things to keep in mind:
- 11 of the 30 team have 5 or more
- Cutoff is important, didn't count the 2013 draft, Bruins have nothing to show for it, while most other teams will add a couple of guys from that year
- From 2014 to 2017, Bruins had 7 1st round pick and 6 2nd round pick in a 4 year span. I'd be curious if any other team had as much chance as the Bruins.
- Bruins didn't had a 1st in 2018, but it could be argue it's too soon for those 18yo and the impact on the Bruins will get much bigger in the next couple of years.

Interesting numbers. But to defend my point:

Take a look at the players on the Bruins. The average age they break into the NHL is 21-22 for star players and 23-24 for middle players. Lower level players raise the age up further as they usually enter the league in their mid 20s+ bringing the average down(McQuaid was 24-25 before he became a full-timer).

So it really is a matter of perception. If you are saying star players, then yes you are correct. But when you take the whole of NHL players and their development then you can see that players need 1-3 years on average in the AHL before making the club. Whereas on the Bruins we have players like Pastrnak, Heinen, DeBrusk, and Bjork who had only 1 or fewer years in the AHL.

So my point is that we have come to expect that if a player does not make the team full-time within their first 2 pro-seasons fans are discarding them here. Which is crazy.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Interesting numbers. But to defend my point:

Take a look at the players on the Bruins. The average age they break into the NHL is 21-22 for star players and 23-24 for middle players. Lower level players raise the age up further as they usually enter the league in their mid 20s+ bringing the average down(McQuaid was 24-25 before he became a full-timer).

So it really is a matter of perception. If you are saying star players, then yes you are correct. But when you take the whole of NHL players and their development then you can see that players need 1-3 years on average in the AHL before making the club. Whereas on the Bruins we have players like Pastrnak, Heinen, DeBrusk, and Bjork who had only 1 or fewer years in the AHL.

So my point is that we have come to expect that if a player does not make the team full-time within their first 2 pro-seasons fans are discarding them here. Which is crazy.

I would also add that the salary cap has made the choice for some of these teams. They *have* to bring along young players to the roster sometimes without the ideal development time because they need players and can't afford an established guy. The numbers there are inflated by this- in a perfect world, I bet half or more of these players would not be in the league yet, or just breaking in this season.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I would also add that the salary cap has made the choice for some of these teams. They *have* to bring along young players to the roster sometimes without the ideal development time because they need players and can't afford an established guy. The numbers there are inflated by this- in a perfect world, I bet half or more of these players would not be in the league yet, or just breaking in this season.

Good point.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ok I guess that makes sense!

I don't think it is entirely off base, though, the OP probably exaggerated a bit. From a club standpoint, it's good marketing to feature hometown/home region guys. How much it matters to the actual lineup is unclear. I do believe Donato got a bit of pass based on that and being a Bruins legacy kid. Fitz has apparently been crap in Providence but has not been sat when Cehlarik and others were. Does Noel Acciari deserve to keep playing 4th line minutes over someone else? Wagner has had some poor games, but didn't have a seat on the 9th floor. These are unanswerable questions, really, but I don't think it's a crazy idea.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't think it is entirely off base, though, the OP probably exaggerated a bit. From a club standpoint, it's good marketing to feature hometown/home region guys. How much it matters to the actual lineup is unclear. I do believe Donato got a bit of pass based on that and being a Bruins legacy kid. Fitz has apparently been crap in Providence but has not been sat when Cehlarik and others were. Does Noel Acciari deserve to keep playing 4th line minutes over someone else? Wagner has had some poor games, but didn't have a seat on the 9th floor. These are unanswerable questions, really, but I don't think it's a crazy idea.

Probably not, but for the best of the franchise it’s not smart. I think (and hope) that Don Sweeney is a bit more analytical than parochial, but I could be wrong

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Probably not, but for the best of the franchise it’s not smart. I think (and hope) that Don Sweeney is a bit more analytical than parochial, but I could be wrong

It might not even be Sweeney, but higher up, and if it does exist at all (a big if) I imagine it would be more along the lines of a soft directive. But then it could all be BS too, this is HF after all :laugh:

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It might not even be Sweeney, but higher up, and if it does exist at all (a big if) I imagine it would be more along the lines of a soft directive. But then it could all be BS too, this is HF after all :laugh:

Yeah I’d like to think that the days of Jay Miller and Frank Simonetti are long gone. At least Miller could fight with the best of ‘em

Reactions: Dr Hook

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
No it's not a crazy idea. There is no other team in the NHL that would have Noel Acciari on their roster. Gryz would be a number 7. Wagner would be the 13th fwd. Donato would have (rightfully) started the season in the AHL. Fitzgerald would have been picked much lower by any other team.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
No it's not a crazy idea. There is no other team in the NHL that would have Noel Acciari on their roster. Gryz would be a number 7. Wagner would be the 13th fwd. Donato would have (rightfully) started the season in the AHL. Fitzgerald would have been picked much lower by any other team.

Everything you just stated is an opinion.

No matter how long you have spent convincing yourself it is fact.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Lets see how the team looks come December. His competition hasn't exactly nailed down their spots.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Pretty classy stuff coming from Krug.

What Bruins’ Torey Krug Told Ryan Donato About Playing In Providence

“I let him know that it was the best thing that ever happened to me, was going to play in the AHL,” Krug said, via The Athletic’s Joe McDonald. “I hope he’s taking it with the right attitude. I let him know to go fine-tune your skills and get better at the things you need to get better at and next time you get called up hopefully it’s the last time.

“I’ve always thought everyone should play a little bit in the American League,” Krug added. “It teaches you a lot about how to be a professional. The ins and outs of the daily work that goes into the work habits that you develop over the years that correspond with what you’re doing at the NHL level.”

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

“I let him know that it was the best thing that ever happened to me, was going to play in the AHL,” Krug said, via The Athletic’s Joe McDonald. “I hope he’s taking it with the right attitude. I let him know to go fine-tune your skills and get better at the things you need to get better at and next time you get called up hopefully it’s the last time.

“I’ve always thought everyone should play a little bit in the American League,” Krug added. “It teaches you a lot about how to be a professional. The ins and outs of the daily work that goes into the work habits that you develop over the years that correspond with what you’re doing at the NHL level.”

Good on Torey.

RD's got a lot he needs to work on, but to me his biggest thing was clearly confidence. He went from a guy that could get a shot away with almost no space last season to a player who couldn't seem to get anywhere on the ice where a shot was available and would whiff on grade A chances. As soon as things started heading downhill, he just didn't seem to bounce back.

Stepping down a level and getting a little more time to work on what he needs to do is only going to grow his confidence. It's exactly what he needs and I have a strong sense that he will be making an impact on this team before the season is over.

Reactions: TCB and Dr Hook

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much

This is what leaders do, bring clarity to adverse situations. Krug hits on attitude, challenges further development, brings in personal experience and reiterates the end goal. (oh, and btw, took some heat off of Tuukka the other night by saying he deflected the shot - not sure he did but understands the grumblings surrounding his team mate). He is a leader.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
This is where you lost me.

Reactions: wintersej

BruinsNetwork

No shame in being sent to the AHL, it’s a great league to learn and develop your game in. Bruins are lucky they have Providence as their affiliate as its almost like a miniature version of Boston. Which further helps the players get adjusted to that professional lifestyle in a city.

Krug used to live with Spooner on Pembroke, which is a street where all the juniors and seniors at Providence College rent houses and live off campus. He knows the AHL and growing pains just as well as anyone else.

While many are suggesting that Krug should get traded or replaced by Grzelcyk or whatever, he’ll be busy putting up points and being a leader on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad