Former Bruins Ryan Donato - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Start

May 8, 2018
So um. I'm getting a lot of Vatrano like vibes from Donato right now.

Not in the sense that they're the same style of player. But in the same sense that they're getting pushed around out there by NHLers. And more importantly Donato and Vatrano haven't been able to read the play and figure out where they need to be ahead of the play.

Both guys can skate, we know that, but Donato isn't in the right position most of the time and is chasing almost all of the time. You don't see that in Bjork, or even Heinen. If you're going to be a fraction of a second late to every moment in the NHL you're not going to get very far. This was Vatrano's problem whenever he played with us.

This dates back to last year. I thought Donato outside of a few games, was horrible. But he kept putting up points on the scoresheet so it was forgiven.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX

Not in the sense that they're the same style of player. But in the same sense that they're getting pushed around out there by NHLers. And more importantly Donato and Vatrano haven't been able to read the play and figure out where they need to be ahead of the play.

Both guys can skate, we know that, but Donato isn't in the right position most of the time and is chasing almost all of the time. You don't see that in Bjork, or even Heinen. If you're going to be a fraction of a second late to every moment in the NHL you're not going to get very far. This was Vatrano's problem whenever he played with us.

This dates back to last year. I thought Donato outside of a few games, was horrible. But he kept putting up points on the scoresheet so it was forgiven.

He should just do what Johnny Gaudreau does. Fall alot and grab your head. Then he will at the very least generate a PP or two...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

That’s because he needs to be in Providence. Very simple. I don’t know why he’s not there. That adrenaline short stint is over. He needs some work.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Its crazy how Donato has not been dropped to Providence already

Bruins have the worst 3rd line in the league. Led by a 4th line winger (Backes)

Team has to make a trade soon. Panarin would be a sweet pickup

I wouldn't even mind getting Nylander.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
donato could very likely benefit from a chance to dominate in the ahl… to me hes still star potential and I want to see him handled correctly. im not sure struggling in the nhl is the way to go {if hes eligible for the world juinors id release him for that too}

and meanwhile we got cehlarik we are going to lose for free like czarik if we don't give him some nhl time. even if he isn't the answer for us at least play him some and see if someone else thinks hes the answer for them

id also suggest we might want to see if lee stempniak kept himself in game shape. sees we are not really doing the right think playing the kids out of position over on the right side. none of them are thriving

plug stempniak in with pastrnak/wagner/accari and the right side will be ok until playoff time when we probably would want to make a rental trade because its not good enough for playoffs

let Heinen/Bjork/cehlarik battle with Nordstrom for the 2 bottom lw jobs behind marchand/debrusk

and then you keep going with backes at 3rd line center with Bergeron/krecji/kuraly

we can give donato a better growth experience in the ahl and if he does tear it up and is ready for a recall before playoffs then its just a huge bonus for us

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
donato could very likely benefit from a chance to dominate in the ahl… to me hes still star potential and I want to see him handled correctly. im not sure struggling in the nhl is the way to go {if hes eligible for the world juinors id release him for that too}

and meanwhile we got cehlarik we are going to lose for free like czarik if we don't give him some nhl time. even if he isn't the answer for us at least play him some and see if someone else thinks hes the answer for them

id also suggest we might want to see if lee stempniak kept himself in game shape. sees we are not really doing the right think playing the kids out of position over on the right side. none of them are thriving

plug stempniak in with pastrnak/wagner/accari and the right side will be ok until playoff time when we probably would want to make a rental trade because its not good enough for playoffs

let Heinen/Bjork/cehlarik battle with Nordstrom for the 2 bottom lw jobs behind marchand/debrusk

and then you keep going with backes at 3rd line center with Bergeron/krecji/kuraly

we can give donato a better growth experience in the ahl and if he does tear it up and is ready for a recall before playoffs then its just a huge bonus for us

Many here agree however as some have also mentioned "Donato" carries 2 things some of the players in AHL don't have....NCAA strings and alumni heritage.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Its crazy how Donato has not been dropped to Providence already

Bruins have the worst 3rd line in the league. Led by a 4th line winger (Backes)

Team has to make a trade soon. Panarin would be a sweet pickup

I wouldn't even mind getting Nylander.

You “wouldn’t even mind getting Nylander”?

Me neither :laugh:

Love Panarin, but don’t want him as a rental.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
He needs to work on his strength and reaction timing. He’s getting beaten and pushed around a lot when his natural skills should have him out maneuvering other guys. But he’s getting pushed off pucks and coughing them up too often, and there’s no shame in going down to the ahl and dominating while you work a lot in the weight room

Didn’t Donato previously have conditioning concerns or am I thinking of another player? His core and upper body need work based on the eye test

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Made this comparison two weeks ago and received a ton of pushback.

I think it's becoming a better comparison by the day.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Brad Marchand---

245 QMJHL league games
113 AHL games

First 20 NHL games of his career - 20-0-1-1 20pim -3

Ryan Donato

97 NCAA games

First 18 NHL games of his career - 18-6-4-10 4pim -1

Reactions: lopey

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Brad Marchand---

245 QMJHL league games
113 AHL games

First 20 NHL games of his career - 20-0-1-1 20pim -3

Ryan Donato

97 NCAA games

First 18 NHL games of his career - 18-6-4-10 4pim -1

Not trying to complete invalidate this, but it's worth mentioning (unless I am misremembering, which is possible) that Brad was mainly given lower line minutes with no PP time for his first 20 games.

That makes a huge difference in that comparison. Numbers don't lie, but there's more to it than that.

Reactions: Salem13

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not trying to complete invalidate this, but it's worth mentioning (unless I am misremembering, which is possible) that Brad was mainly given lower line minutes with no PP time for his first 20 games.

That makes a huge difference in that comparison. Numbers don't lie, but there's more to it than that.

My point more so (and I should have been clear) was Donato hasn't played much high level hockey, and three times less than Marchand did at this point in their careers. Donato is basically a "newborn" in NHL terms.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
My point more so (and I should have been clear) was Donato hasn't played much high level hockey, and three times less than Marchand did at this point in their careers. Donato is basically a "newborn" in NHL terms.

bang on. the bruins have basically decided to let donato learn on the fly. there will be
a lot of highs and lows, and it's gonna take a while for him to really figure things out.
i think you'll see a real growth next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad