Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sucks to see what injuries have done to the guy. He's still a serviceable 4th line role player with good leadership and personality but no competitive team can maintain having him on their roster with his salary and cap hit. In a salary cap world there are not many options for him sadly and none of them seem very exciting for him, a guy who loves the game:
  • LTIR (never play again but get paid)
  • retire (never play again and don't get paid)
  • agree to a trade to a team trying to reach the cap floor (continue playing but for a shitty team, getting smack talked by fans)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
For as much as I appreciate Callahan playing through the injury this is getting ridiculous now. His NHL career is at the verge of "We just want Ryan to be comfortable"

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In terms of new blood Kunitz's old job is Erne's and Conacher's job to lose. I think either or will probably take over for Callahan. We'll have to wait and see with guys like Volkov but I'm optimistic about them.

I think Mathieu Joseph has an inside track on that job. He'll bring a lot of speed and a no-nonsense north-south mentality. Callahan might have a hard time getting the job back, if that's the way it goes.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
to be fair as pointed out by SULLIVAN in the final hour of the SiriusXM NHL Network
Playoff Powerplay for Friday if our stars had played as hard as Cally we would be in the finals.

That doesn't really change anything. I can go play for the TBL next year and give 100% effort every single shift. Doesn't mean I'm going to be any good.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
That doesn't really change anything. I can go play for the TBL next year and give 100% effort every single shift. Doesn't mean I'm going to be any good.
That's the point? If the high end skill players played as hard as Callahan did, they would have handled Washington and went to the finals. Of course you and I won't make a difference if we give our best, but Kucherov? Johnson? Stamkos? Yeah. Those guys make a difference

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's the point? If the high end skill players played as hard as Callahan did, they would have handled Washington and went to the finals. Of course you and I won't make a difference if we give our best, but Kucherov? Johnson? Stamkos? Yeah. Those guys make a difference

That's not really a case for Callahan, so much as it's a case against the other guys. It doesn't matter how much effort Callahan gives. He's no longer good enough to make a difference.

BennetAintInit

Sep 7, 2018
Fl.
He can perform dutifully 100% but if his injuries inhibit his ability to do so on national levels, he is sunk. This is what we unfortunately are witnessing now. I love Callahan. Sad situation.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Injury was December 14th. Played 8:37 that night and did not return until January 4th

Played 38 more regular season games & 15 playoff games post injury.

His stats up until Dec 14th: 28 games played, 1 goal, 5 assists, +2

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm just worried he's going to come back and replace some kid who's giving us more than Callahan is capable of.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If Cally scores 55 goals, we're gonna set a league record for wins. Not because he's playing well, but because 45-50 of those goals will have to be scored into an empty net, which means #Winning.
I'll top all the promises Nick made last season if Cally scores 55 goals.

Reactions: Raphael87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->