Player Discussion: Ryan Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I love Cally and he showed more heart than any player on this roster but he doesnt score and he costs almost 6 mil a year. Thats a lot for a 4th line role player. If SY wants to trade him I dont blame him. If he wants to keep him I dont blame him either.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Johnson took a lot of heat for not stepping up these playoffs, and Callahan got praise for his efforts.

Then you realize it's because his bar was to be a 4th liner and he actually makes more money then Johnson and if judging by contract value he was a huge disappointment, 2nd highest paid forward on the team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I love Cally and he showed more heart than any player on this roster but he doesnt score and he costs almost 6 mil a year. Thats a lot for a 4th line role player. If SY wants to trade him I dont blame him. If he wants to keep him I dont blame him either.
Stevie is stuck with Callahan nobody wants that contract for sure. If Callahan was making 3 million a season I’d love him but he makes 5.8 per year and can’t crack 10 goals a season now.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Maybe wait and see how he looks after surgery, and a summer to heal? I dunno. I mean, I'm not holding my breath, but considering everything else he brings, even just a little offense from him changes things somewhat regarding his contract.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Maybe wait and see how he looks after surgery, and a summer to heal? I dunno. I mean, I'm not holding my breath, but considering everything else he brings, even just a little offense from him changes things somewhat regarding his contract.

This is said every year? He was 100% going into this season and still had the result he had. Yes he injured something part way, but he will always injure something with his playstyle and if he can't play that playstyle he's completely useless.

More important, Callahan, who has three years left on his contract, is confident the hip will not be a long-term issue. He said a procedure Feb. 22 revealed why he continued to have discomfort after the labrum was repaired in June. The issue was scar tissue and a stitch that had fallen off the labrum and onto a bone.
Now that the problem is fixed, Callahan said, he should at the least be back to his old self for next season.
"One hundred percent," Callahan said. "I should have no lingering issues from this at all."

Reactions: The Macho Man

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
This is said every year? He was 100% going into this season and still had the result he had. Yes he injured something part way, but he will always injure something with his playstyle and if he can't play that playstyle he's completely useless.
We do say that every year. And he does get injured the way he plays. But I still think that the only major issue this year was his lack of production. Maybe it's gone for good, who knows? He seemed a little snakebitten, but it never went away, so I'm not sure.

I mean, his contract's bad. I get it. But I feel like he's earned at least another shot at the start of next year based on his playoffs. Not saying that what he brought was worth $6 mil, but what he brought was really important. And if he can just produce a little more it's not so unbearable given everything else he brings.

Maybe we should let him take over for Bowness? Lol. I'm only half kidding. I actually think he's got the hockey smarts to make a good coach.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Buying him out this offseason would be a mistake. We'd be stuck with his cap hit for 4 years of 2.66m for the first two years, and 1.566 for the next two years, and we're not in a cap crunch now. If we buy him out next offseason, we're only stuck with it for three total seasons - 5.8m next season (with no cap crunch), 2.66 and 1.56 in the following two seasons. Basically, carrying his carcass for one more season buys us 1.56 in cap space later when we'll need to have fit new contracts for Kucherov, Point, Vasilevskiy, and Sergechev, while dealing with no contracts for any of our other D (except Hedman).
This. There's no easy way out on this one, besides him retiring altogether. Just gotta suck it up another year at least.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Which year did you copy and paste this comment from?

He is what he is. Waiting for him to get healthy is just waiting for him to get injured again. I can't really tell the difference anymore anyway.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ugh. Matt Carle V2.0. Ugh.

I think this is a step too far. We paid Carle a ton of money to hurt the team (in the later years). Callahan doesn't hurt the team on the ice, but more on paper, where he's sucking up money that could be going to a better player, while a league min player takes his own place.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Cally has 2 years left. I think if we can't move him this offseason we just buy him out next year. Hes not the worst guy to have on your playoff roster. Carle 2.0 is definitely a stretch. Cally was easily our hardest working player in the playoffs and he also became a positive factor against other teams top players. Hes pricey and I would trade him for peanuts if we could but if we cant I won't cry too badly.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I think this is a step too far. We paid Carle a ton of money to hurt the team (in the later years). Callahan doesn't hurt the team on the ice, but more on paper, where he's sucking up money that could be going to a better player, while a league min player takes his own place.

If he's only playing 40-50% of a season due to injury, he's hurting the team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he's only playing 40-50% of a season due to injury, he's hurting the team.

That's a lot different than Carle, who was costing us goals on a near-nightly basis. It's really not like that with Callahan. His problem is he can't come close to living up to his contract, rather than he's not really an NHL player, which is where Carle was at in the end. Callahan's still an NHLer, just one who shouldn't be getting much more than league minimum.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
That's a lot different than Carle, who was costing us goals on a near-nightly basis. It's really not like that with Callahan. His problem is he can't come close to living up to his contract, rather than he's not really an NHL player, which is where Carle was at in the end. Callahan's still an NHLer, just one who shouldn't be getting much more than league minimum.

Amen, but he's a SLOW NHLer, on a team built to be a Ferrari, he's our Ford Focus.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Amen, but he's a SLOW NHLer, on a team built to be a Ferrari, he's our Ford Focus.

He's not all that slow. Probably the fastest player on his line, and faster than Killorn. IMO, his problem has nothing to do with speed, but more about instincts. He only has two plays: throw the puck blindly into the corner; throw the puck blindly in front of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->