Injury Report: Ryan Callahan (upper-body injury) | cleared to play

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bring up Peca.

No point in that. We have Cirelli playing 4C who's better than Peca, we can put Paquette at 4C as well. Since it's our last call up we shouldn't use it on someone we've already seen, needs to be a kid who deserves a chance. If we are looking for the closest to a Callahan replacement then Stephens should get the nod. He's arguably been Syracuse best player all year. Plays in any situation, on any line with different linemates all the time and just gets the job done. Should be rewarded for that with a cup of coffee.

Reactions: Matt Watson

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Matthieu Joseph seems to have the hot hand in Syracuse right now. I think he'd be a good energy player with solid skills.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No point in that. We have Cirelli playing 4C who's better than Peca, we can put Paquette at 4C as well. Since it's our last call up we shouldn't use it on someone we've already seen, needs to be a kid who deserves a chance. If we are looking for the closest to a Callahan replacement then Stephens should get the nod. He's arguably been Syracuse best player all year. Plays in any situation, on any line with different linemates all the time and just gets the job done. Should be rewarded for that with a cup of coffee.

Maybe next year I'd rather take what we know we have in Peca who's shown he can produce, Peca played wing half the time when called him as well so it's not a conflict at C. Joseph is a first year pro, he can afford to pay a little more dues before a call-up.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Maybe next year I'd rather take what we know we have in Peca who's shown he can produce, Peca played wing half the time when called him as well so it's not a conflict at C. Joseph is a first year pro, he can afford to pay a little more dues before a call-up.

Callahan isn't expected to be out long so whoever comes up isn't going to be here long. Why not give someone else a chance for a few games? Peca isn't anything special, we need to see if one of the other kids are. Cirelli is a first year pro who's come up and looked a lot better than Peca and like someone who will be good for use next year. Why couldn't Stephens or Joseph do the same? We will need to replace Kunitz and still could use an upgrade on the 3rd line which one of them could be, Peca isn't anything more than a 4th liner.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Preseason doesn't mean much, but I thought Joseph actually looked a tad closer to being ready than either Stephens or Cirelli. Offensively, anyway. Volkov looked really good, too.

With Conacher and Paquette still fighting for ice time, will we really call anyone up?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Callahan isn't expected to be out long so whoever comes up isn't going to be here long. Why not give someone else a chance for a few games? Peca isn't anything special, we need to see if one of the other kids are. Cirelli is a first year pro who's come up and looked a lot better than Peca and like someone who will be good for use next year. Why couldn't Stephens or Joseph do the same? We will need to replace Kunitz and still could use an upgrade on the 3rd line which one of them could be, Peca isn't anything more than a 4th liner.

I'm sure you'd have said the same about Gourde previously and you certainly did say the same about Marchessault before he posted back to back 50+ point seasons. Peca has been every bit as good as Gourde and Marchessault during their call-ups while producing right along the same line, there is definitely still something worth seeing there.

7 points in 20 games, 5 in 10 this year is 4th line production? I mean he was playing on the 3rd line during call-up and produced at 3rd line rate so..

We have years to give Stephens and Joseph a look, I'd rather see if we have anything more in Peca before losing another Marchessault.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm sure you'd have said the same about Gourde previously and you certainly did say the same about Marchessault before he posted back to back 50+ point seasons. Peca has been every bit as good as Gourde and Marchessault during their call-ups while producing right along the same line.

7 points in 20 games, 5 in 10 this year is 4th line production?

We have years to give Stephens and Joseph a look, I'd rather see if we have anything more in Peca before losing another Marchessault.
I'm of two minds here - on one hand I always want to see how an unknown will do, and I think Joseph especially is going to be a gamer.

But Peca has played well up here. I don't really get a) why he was sent back down in the first place, and b) why he wasn't the first call up (although let's put it out there Cirelli has looked fantastic and outperformed Peca even considering Peca's call up was fairly impressive).

Reactions: LightningStrikes

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm sure you'd have said the same about Gourde previously and you certainly did say the same about Marchessault before he posted back to back 50+ point seasons. Peca has been every bit as good as Gourde and Marchessault during their call-ups while producing right along the same line.

7 points in 20 games, 5 in 10 this year is 4th line production?

I don't think I said the same about Gourde. I liked his all around game, his tenacity and he showed more scoring ability at the AHL level than Peca. I didn't think he would be a 50-60 point player but a good 3rd liner possibly. Marchessault I was sceptical of because I felt he was getting fat off his linemates and PP time. I didn't like his all around game, he wasn't good defensively and wasn't a good forechecker. I didn't think he would make it in the bottom 6 and didn't see us giving him top 6 or PP time when the team was fully healthy. He moved to na team that gave him a better chance and he took it.

Peca I see as more of a Brown type. Fast, good forechecker, solid defensively but not a big time point producer. He has a much better shot than Brown and offensive instincts I just can't see him being more than a 25 point player. Over 82 games he will have stretches of not producing, even his career pace puts him under 30 points.

We do have time for the two of them but if they're better than Peca why not bring them up instead? Peca isn't going to become Marchessault here, we don't have a spot for him in the top 9 or the PP to get the minutes he would need to produce like that. If he leaves and becomes that then good for him, Joseph and Stephens should be good enough to where we don't miss Peca. I would like Peca to be the 4C next year so don't want to lose him but for the last 10 games we should reward someone else.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think I said the same about Gourde. I liked his all around game, his tenacity and he showed more scoring ability at the AHL level than Peca. I didn't think he would be a 50-60 point player but a good 3rd liner possibly. Marchessault I was sceptical of because I felt he was getting fat off his linemates and PP time. I didn't like his all around game, he wasn't good defensively and wasn't a good forechecker. I didn't think he would make it in the bottom 6 and didn't see us giving him top 6 or PP time when the team was fully healthy. He moved to na team that gave him a better chance and he took it.

Peca I see as more of a Brown type. Fast, good forechecker, solid defensively but not a big time point producer. He has a much better shot than Brown and offensive instincts I just can't see him being more than a 25 point player. Over 82 games he will have stretches of not producing, even his career pace puts him under 30 points.

We do have time for the two of them but if they're better than Peca why not bring them up instead? Peca isn't going to become Marchessault here, we don't have a spot for him in the top 9 or the PP to get the minutes he would need to produce like that. If he leaves and becomes that then good for him, Joseph and Stephens should be good enough to where we don't miss Peca. I would like Peca to be the 4C next year so don't want to lose him but for the last 10 games we should reward someone else.

Any call-up in the final 10 games isn't likely to see much more than half the remaining games, so in a 5-6 game stretch to end the season 2 first year kids have earned it more than a guy who's put 4 productive years into the system, shined during pre-season and produced during call-ups? I don't get it? Especially from someone was extremely vocal about Tanner Richard getting time in the big leagues for paying his dues.

A 25-30 point 4th line Center is a significant upgrade to what we currently have there so that alone is worth investing ice time in - he's cheap, productive depth ready as soon as next year, not sure why that should be slighted in todays game. The other 2 will likely be in the minors for a couple more seasons, we'd have plenty of time to evaluate them even then are either of them projected to be anything more than 3rd liners and depth forwards? Not like we're talking A level prospects here, maybe if this were Raddysh or Katchouk then sure.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Any call-up in the final 10 games isn't likely to see much more than half the remaining games, so in a 5-6 game stretch to end the season 2 first year kids have earned it more than a guy who's put 4 productive years into the system, shined during pre-season and produced during call-ups? I don't get it? Especially from someone was extremely vocal about Tanner Richard getting time in the big leagues for paying his dues.

A 25-30 point 4th line Center is a significant upgrade to what we currently have there so that alone is worth investing ice time in - he's cheap, productive depth ready as soon as next year, not sure why that should be slighted in todays game. The other 2 will likely be in the minors for a couple more seasons, we'd have plenty of time to evaluate them even then are either of them projected to be anything more than 3rd liners and depth forwards? Not like we're talking A level prospects here, maybe if this were Raddysh or Katchouk then sure.

They earned it in the sense that they've helped carry Syracuse this year. Peca started off slow and was up with the big club for a stretch, with Cirelli having been up a bit now Joseph and Stephens are the two who have been there all year helping Syracuse the most. I was vocal about Richard and he didn't get his chance until his 3rd year here and what we saw was somebody who wasn't good enough. He also wasn't as good from the start like Joseph and Stephens have been, but he put the time in so deserved a look. Peca has gotten two looks already and has looked good just not good enough to stick, he's also going to be 25 he's close to a finished product.

Peca will be an upgrade over Paquette next year. As we've seen when fully healthy he won't be getting playing time especially with Cirelli up now too. So calling him up won't show us much more than we know and I don't see him doing anything different to where we would keep him up. I don't think the gap between Jospeph and Stephens to Raddysh and Katchouk is as big as you think. I think they all could be 2nd liners if everything goes right, Raddysh a 1st liner as he has the highest offensive ceiling but is also the one who could bust the most too. The reason they might not be more than 3rd liners is because of who we have in the top 6 already, not because they aren't good enough.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

There were people in our organization that didnt think Marchessault was an every day NHLer. Every NHL team is wrong about a player at some point. Even the best scouters in the league.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There were people in our organization that didnt think Marchessault was an every day NHLer. Every NHL team is wrong about a player at some point. Even the best scouters in the league.

In our organization he wasn't. Guys need the right environment to succeed and that wasn't with us. I don't think he would've played much in the top 6 or PP to put up the points like he did with Florida last year. I don't think he would be as effective as Gourde was to start the year on the 3rd line to force his way into the top 6. With our injuries last year he may have gotten the chance but if fully healthy not sure he cracks our top 6, which is where he needs to be to be most successful.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Marchessault wasn't an every day NHL player when he got here. We recognized the talent, sure. But we developed him into a NHL player and he kept working hard. Would like to read a Player's Tribune from him tbh. His stat line when he was here is 45 GP and 18 points with a -10 as a 25 year old. Some of these smaller skill guys take some time to develop lower body strength to not get pushed off the puck and develop some tenacity so that they are not intimated by the 6'4, 220 lb defenseman on the boards.

Gourde is coming into his own at 26 ... same age as Marchessault was when he broke in offensively with the Panthers. Peca is still 24 ... we have him RFA for a bit still and he can still become real good player. But these guys need some top 6 time ... and frankly we are stacked with skill. We need these complementary wingers with size to pan out to balance out the top 9. If anything, we should be a bit more patient and re-cycle these guys for some nice picks once they hit their stride.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The thing with Peca compared to Gourde or Marchessault is he's never put up big numbers in the AHL. His best offensive year in any league was his freshman year in college, his ppg has gone down every year since. He hasn't scored more than 15 goals in a season and has a high of 12 in the AHL. I just don't see the offensive upside as either of the other two.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Notch me down as someone who wasn’t impressed with peca and would love to give Stephens or Joseph a shot.

Peca wasn’t even doing well in the faceoff circle anymore when we sent him back down.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That isn't good. Get one pk guy back another goes down. Pacquette needs to step up.
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/d.png
Personnel isn't what's wrong with our PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad