News Article: Ryan Callahan retires (appreciation and memories of him)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have no issue with a player wanted to get paid and supporting himself and family. However, what Callahan did was over the top and really was disrespectful to the organization and his teammates. He asked for an absurd amount of money which would have hurt the Rangers ability to put out a deep team. He used his popularity with the Rangers fan base as an attempt to blackmail the Rangers into giving him a ton of money he wasn't worth. It backfired on him. I respected how he played as a Ranger but not what he did when it came time for his first significant contract.

So he did what most players do? Trying to hold out for more money and term since it would be likely his last contract. He even admitted recently he F’d up, and wasn’t just on the Rangers. But that’s what agents are for, to convince you and your team, you are more valuable to your team than you really are. It’s the worst part of the game, but it is a business.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
One of my favorite players in my concious fandom even though his player profile soured on me a lot since then.

Best of luck.

Dubi was the better player.

Cally got more out of what he had.

It's sad to see BOTH of them go out the way that they're going out.
Correct answer IMO

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I've been a Rangers fan for almost 60 years and the black and blue Torts teams are among my favorite. How often did we wish we had a team that played like they did? And Cally was its on ice leader. He is among my all time favorite players along with Dubinsky from that team. He made me proud to be a Rangers fan. Nothing that happened at the end of his time here or since, can sour my admiration and appreciation for him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Time has flown by. Cally and Girardi retired. Hank and Dubi effectively retired. MDZ and Anisimov are journeymen. Staal is pretending to be a hockey player. Torts is mellow.

it’s crazy, just got one of those memories on FB from 10 years ago when I bought a Cally jersey. Had posted it obviously. Time does fly and it’s scary but this is one year I am happy to put an end to.

Reactions: will1066

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I have no issue with a player wanted to get paid and supporting himself and family. However, what Callahan did was over the top and really was disrespectful to the organization and his teammates. He asked for an absurd amount of money which would have hurt the Rangers ability to put out a deep team. He used his popularity with the Rangers fan base as an attempt to blackmail the Rangers into giving him a ton of money he wasn't worth. It backfired on him. I respected how he played as a Ranger but not what he did when it came time for his first significant contract.

I honestly think he felt his years in hockey were getting short and took the money and shot at a cup before that happened.

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
Time has flown by. Cally and Girardi retired. Hank and Dubi effectively retired. MDZ and Anisimov are journeymen. Staal is pretending to be a hockey player. Torts is mellow.
how crazy of a difference a decade makes. I hope Cally enjoys his retirement.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Late to the party but he is up there with my favorite Rangers of all time. He was like mainlining heroin when he first came up compared to what the teams identity was at the time. He shot from everywhere and hit everybody.

Played like he was 6'5 and was a true pro and leader. Wanted to see him lift the cup more than anybody.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I've been a Rangers fan for almost 60 years and the black and blue Torts teams are among my favorite. How often did we wish we had a team that played like they did? And Cally was its on ice leader. He is among my all time favorite players along with Dubinsky from that team. He made me proud to be a Rangers fan. Nothing that happened at the end of his time here or since, can sour my admiration and appreciation for him.

2011-12 Rangers 4 life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad