News Article: Ryan Callahan retires (appreciation and memories of him)

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Cally was class personified and a damn good Ranger. Wasn't the most talented or skilled guy on the ice but you knew every single night, Cally was going to go thru a wall and work his ass off to help the Rangers win.

Cally is one of the good guys and he'll be missed!

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Always felt a little bittersweet about Dubinsky in the Nash deal. He was part of that young blue-collar core led by Callahan.

always hoped Dubi and Cally would be part of the teams that went to the finals. no reason to deal for Nash in 2012. Gaborik btw was fine as a Ranger. Nash was a ghost half the time.

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
He was the embodiment of our shift from overpaying for players at the tail end of their career to developing our own players through our system who worked hard and cared about being a Ranger. I will always look back on the Henrik, Cally, Dubinsky, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Dom Moore, Colton Orr, Staal, Girardi, Tom Renney ...Ranger Re-Birth teams fondly. They were very easy teams to root for with how they played. Especially after watching years of the retirement home Rangers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan was a fun unit to watch play.

I didn't appreciate Callahan's absurd contract request pre-trade, but that's business. Not everyone is willing to take a discount.

Wish he hadn't dived to break his foot blocking a shot in 2011, but I doubt that would have made a difference in the series.

Reactions: OverTheCap

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I had no issue with him and his contract demands although I did call him selfish but without St.Louis who knows if they would have had the same post season. it is a shame St.Louis was not the 2004 St.Louis and just another of the well we should have got him years ago.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Callahan and Girardi were part of the next wave of talent, after Jagr and Hank help turn this franchise around. After watching a bunch of mercenaries get us nowhere for 7 years, it was so refreshing watching Cally show pride in what being a Ranger meant.
Exactly. It goes to show you how far gone the Rangers were in terms of team building during the mercenary years when guys like Callahan came along and did things winning hockey players do like back check, hustle, finish their checks and play good defensive hockey. Those things were lost arts in this organization for a while.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I remember one year late in the dark ages that the Rangers led the league in blocked shots. I think some misperceptions are going on. It's a better story that Callahan changed the culture by sacrificing his body than the defense got better positionally and the goaltending improved exponentially.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I loved Callahan when he was here. Didn’t miss him once he was gone. Never had any hard feelings towards him at all unlike some people around here. We parted ways at the right time. Enjoy your retirement Cally.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I loved Callahan when he was here. Didn’t miss him once he was gone. Never had any hard feelings towards him at all unlike some people around here. We parted ways at the right time. Enjoy your retirement Cally.

I remember there was actually a fan that became a Lightning fan and then later came back. I sure hope the dude was no older than 15.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hard worker and willing to do all the dirty jobs to win games. A 100%'er who got the most out of the ability he had. I remember him blocking that Chara shot that broke his arm to get us into the playoffs. To me that was the kind of player he was. The teams he was on weren't always all that skilled and I think the captain's role was a bit much for him though I'm not sure we had a better guy to go to. He gave his all and that's what you want from a 4th round pick. We're looking at Berard right now who could turn into a similar player.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan was a fun unit to watch play.

I didn't appreciate Callahan's absurd contract request pre-trade, but that's business. Not everyone is willing to take a discount.

Wish he hadn't dived to break his foot blocking a shot in 2011, but I doubt that would have made a difference in the series.

I was at that game, which was the memory I opened the thread to share. Fun game.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Was the first jersey i bought .#43 callahan.

was so excited when he was called up to the big club.

hated the way his tenure ended here though. Wish him the best. Was fun to watch him as a Ranger.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Easily one of my favorite Rangers of all time. I was so lucky to meet and get his #43 jersey as a rookie in the blueshirts off our back thing on MSG. I remember him asking me where he is suppose to sign the jersey and we both didn't know so he ended up signing it on the blue part and it was hard to see :laugh: (was suppose to sign on the red number)

Couldn't care less about the contract stuff, every player wants money, he was just smart to know it might be his last contract and it was.

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Was the first jersey i bought .#43 callahan.

was so excited when he was called up to the big club.

hated the way his tenure ended here though. Wish him the best. Was fun to watch him as a Ranger.

I will wear his C 24 jersey tonight in memory. I hope Rangers give him a job in the organization in the future. rather have him helping the prospects than Tanner Glass of all players lmfao

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
No hard feelings against Cally. The nature of his game was such that he knew he'd have limited chances to get paid and he wanted to make hay while the sun was shining. He set the tone for the team for quite a while and for that I'm grateful. He was, by and large, a guy who you could always count on to lay it all out there and do the jersey proud (and as far as diving, let he who hasn't sold a few calls cast the first stone).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad