Injury Report: Ryan Callahan out indefinitely (arm injury) | cleared to play

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Callahan had been phenomenal with five shots and three blocks after returning following a one-game absence.

But in the third period, Callahan raced for a loose puck deep in the Arizona zone and got tied up with Arizona's Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Ekman-Larsson pulled Callahan into the boards, the Lightning wing hunched over in pain favoring his right wrist/arm. He skated off and right into the dressing room.

Coach Jon Cooper said Callahan will be evaluated Friday, but that it's "probably longer than day-to-day."
Ryan Callahan injury makes Lightning win 'bittersweet’

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I don't think OEL intended to hurt Callahan but he definitely intended to take him down with him. Heres a replay.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
OEL pulled him down from the looks of it. Then again, he was falling and probably just trying to stay up and make the play. Tough luck that Cally hurt that exact arm OEL was holding onto while falling (0:24 - 0:28).

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Ugh. Not gonna watch the replay. I'm kind of inclined to give a guy losing his footing that close to the boards the benefit of the doubt. Only OEL knows the truth, but if he felt himself getting into a dangerous situation in terms of his trajectory/body positioning, I'd imagine he'd have just grabbed onto anything (Cally, in this case) reflexively to prevent the worst.

It's one of those things that just plain sucks. Hope Cally sees the ice again sooner rather than later.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's hard to tell from the video what he could've hurt as you don't really see the injured arm to well. He also grabs the upper arm at first but when he skates off he's favoring the wrist. Doesn't seem like a break because there's no obvious deformity in his arm after the fall as he skates off. Seems like the elbow takes the hardest hit as it crashes to the ice with the weight of OEL on the forearm and Callahan the upper arm. Could be an elbow dislocation or break.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
OEL went down and grabbed his face after slamming into the boards, faking an injury hoping for a call. He then heard Cally screaming and realized that he seriously injured him, and you can see him get on his knees and start moving towards Callahan like oh shit what did I do.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
OEL had his arm locked around Callahan likely in hopes of inducing a penalty it. It's a smart play but once one player went down they both did. I don't find it to be intentionally dirty but it f***ing sucks that Callahan comes along and plays his best hockey in years (crazy to say because he's been so snakebitten) and he gets hurt like this.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It sucks to lose him. He has played well. Hopefully he’s back soon. We need his experience and leadership.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I remember during the broadcast hearing OEL saying "what the **** are you doing" most likely towards Cally and the ref saying "Calm down 23 no penalties are being called, you're both good" (in terms of taking penalties not so much the injuries)

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
I remember during the broadcast hearing OEL saying "what the **** are you doing" most likely towards Cally and the ref saying "Calm down 23 no penalties are being called, you're both good" (in terms of taking penalties not so much the injuries)

Damn, where can I get a broadcast feed that good where I can hear everything on the ice?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Callahan had beat OEL to the puck, OEL grabbed his arm, while they were crashing into the board. OEL was the one who caused this injury. If he does not grab Cally's arm they both go into the boards and take minimal damage. I mean a 4-1 game and he is still hustling for the puck. It's like blocking shots during pre-season. I love the effort but sometimes have to save it for the right moments. That was not one of them, having a 3 goal lead, against a garbage crap team who will likely be sold or relocated. But I think he really wanted a goal so bad, he was hustling to make a play.

As per his play, he has been great. He is not getting PP time, and does not get the top 6 mins. So when he has games with 5 SOG, that is impressive for a guy not in the Top 6. They were some high quality chances also. Refs yet again screwed him. Yeah, I know it's petty to bring up all the times he was denied a goal or points taken away by the refs this season, but in his role, every little point counts or is important since they don't just land on his lap or gets them on a PP and whatnot.

If you're going to take digs prob shouldn't be in defense of a buy-out candidate who makes 6m and can't score on anything but empty nets (even then it's hard).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He gets no PP time, and Bottom 6 mins, and had had the chances given the role he has had. Refs not helping either. You people here just take the hate to the next level. I mean for crying out loud some of you were happy and glad he had a goal disallowed awhile back when it did cross the line. You guys were happy. Why? To get at me? Why? What have I ever done to you or Macho. Because you made it personal against me.
Been very annoying.

Reactions: Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He gets no PP time, and Bottom 6 mins, and had had the chances given the role he has had. Refs not helping either. You people here just take the hate to the next level. I mean for crying out loud some of you were happy and glad he had a goal disallowed awhile back when it did cross the line. You guys were happy. Why? To get at me? Why?

I'm pretty sure those guys were just laughing considering his cold streak - they weren't actually happy he didn't score....I'm pretty sure when he does score the majority of the board will be happy for him. Stop taking things so personal.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure those guys were just laughing considering his cold streak - they weren't actually happy he didn't score....I'm pretty sure when he does score the majority of the board will be happy for him. Stop taking things so personal.
It's the same shit we did with JT Brown and he didn't have a problem with it then. Crocodile tears.

Moreover, I really don't care what a Rangers fan thinks about the players on our roster.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Personally Callahan used to be my favorite non TB player before the trade. After listening to the regurgitation of a 6M player not getting enough opportunities (cue violin) and whatnot on here, im pretty turned off. I like him but this constant Jeckyl and Hyde love fest has run it's course.

I hope he can return and that it's nothing serious. I hope he can play out this season and Yzerman determine what's best going forward.

Please don't send me a PM over this either.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Not to further drag this thread off topic, but you can say what you want about bottom 6 minutes and no pp time but look at 38 year old and 4th liner Kunitz (5g, 10pts) or 3rd pairing defensive dmen Girardi and Coburn (7 pts each) who have all found a way to tally more points than Cally. Even Sustr who had 8 career goals coming into the season has a goal more than Cally in half the games this year. So it's not his line mates, ice time, or pp opportunities. With those factors, yes I'd expect his points to dip, but it hasn't dipped, or halved, it's almost vanished completely. I've never really seen a guy lose his offensive game like Cally. And unfortunately these struggles have persisted long before October.

Now to me, atm, I don't really care too much about all that because we have enough guys throughout the lineup who can carry the slack there, where it's not really too big a deal. We're winning regardless, I'm happy. And points or not, he's still a decent player, and I hope this is nothing too serious, and in time he'll get back to us. He seems cursed, so I hope while he's getting checked out, he sees some witch doctors or psychics, or who ever too. Whatever works.

Evil be gone!

spirited-away-mouse-o.gif

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Well he's out indefinitely according to Joe Smith

Brown will be seeing more ice, which isn't good. Hopefully we get a call up.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
If the injury had taken place while Callahan is upside down, does that make it a lower body injury, as the moment he was inured, his arm would have been lower then his legs?

@The Macho Man

Gotta get HF Lightning's top mind on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad