Ryan Callahan joins NHL network on-air line up as Studio Analyst

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Rather than have a guy sit on LTIR for a number of years, allow the player to retire with no cap issues for the team. BUT, if the player plays in anything more than a "beer league" within 3 years of retiring, the team that let him retire gets hit with no less than 2x the highest salary or 2x the highest AAV (whichever is higher) for double the amount of time left on his contract and the player should owe a % of the money back to the team. Let the guys officially retire, give them their money (guaranteed contracts, mostly paid by insurance) and don't force the player to go through the "dog and pony show" of showing up to training camp and failing their physical. It would discourage teams from trying to game the system, plus allow them to manage the cap effectively and it allows the players to retire without all the BS of being place on LTIR and hold them accoutable to not screw over the team. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's an idea.

Ryan Callahan - LTIR in 2019-2020. if he were to come back and play in 3 years - $13 cap hit x2 seasons ($6.5 highest salary).
Henrik Zetterberg - LTIR in 2018-2019. if he were to come back and play in 3 years -$15.5 cap hit x 4 seasons ($7.75 highest salary)
David Clarkson - LTIR in 2016-17. if he were to come back and play in 3 years - $10.5 x 8 seasons ($5.25 highest AAV)

Reactions: stampedingviking

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The freaking NHL hired Chris Pronger while he was on LTIR with the Coyotes. They clearly don’t care.
The man that was known for the flying elbows to the back of the, cross checks from behind, and being a dirty player was made head of player safety. The point could be made they didn't take player safety serious either.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did he officially retire? I never heard he had but guess so?

No not yet. He is still owed 4.7 million, and if I was him, would not retire either. I think people are being a little overzealous with the fact he is working for the NHL while still on the LTIR. Doesn't hurt Ottawa or Tampa in any form.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah I don't understand the retirement thing. The guy has herniated disks in his back and doesn't see the risk/reward keep playing when he's in the twilight of his career and more of a 13th forward type on that Tampa team at this point. I don't see why he can't sit in a chair and talk about hockey while being on LTIR....'retiring' would forfeit the salary that he earned in the contract.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think it boils down to the NHL needing another option outside of LTIR- he's not coming back, clearly. He deserves his money, I have no problem with that, but optically there's an inherent contradiction/conflict when a guy is supposedly on a roster yet for all intents and purposes retired.

That said, best of luck to the dude. I don't doubt the injury and feel he should be free to take whatever position he's offered.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Rather than have a guy sit on LTIR for a number of years, allow the player to retire with no cap issues for the team. BUT, if the player plays in anything more than a "beer league" within 3 years of retiring, the team that let him retire gets hit with no less than 2x the highest salary or 2x the highest AAV (whichever is higher) for double the amount of time left on his contract and the player should owe a % of the money back to the team. Let the guys officially retire, give them their money (guaranteed contracts, mostly paid by insurance) and don't force the player to go through the "dog and pony show" of showing up to training camp and failing their physical. It would discourage teams from trying to game the system, plus allow them to manage the cap effectively and it allows the players to retire without all the BS of being place on LTIR and hold them accoutable to not screw over the team. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's an idea.

Ryan Callahan - LTIR in 2019-2020. if he were to come back and play in 3 years - $13 cap hit x2 seasons ($6.5 highest salary).
Henrik Zetterberg - LTIR in 2018-2019. if he were to come back and play in 3 years -$15.5 cap hit x 4 seasons ($7.75 highest salary)
David Clarkson - LTIR in 2016-17. if he were to come back and play in 3 years - $10.5 x 8 seasons ($5.25 highest AAV)

This is still something that would favor teams who can pay more. Big money teams could take these players' retirements on in exchange for prospects and picks. I know they can somewhat do that now for LTIR players but the difference is that the team still needs to be cap compliant at the beginning of the season with the LTIR player on the roster. You are just allowing big money teams to essentially buy prospects and picks without having to worry about the cap whatsoever by trading for a player who will immediately retire.

For the record I agree LTIRetired players should just get to retire and I don't know what the fix is but I don't think this is it.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don’t honestly know what my solution would be here but I just don’t think it’s right that a guy who makes up over 8% of the Ottawa Senators’ cap hit this season is an analyst for NHL Network.

That's understandable. But IMO, the more i think about these things the more i lean towards "who cares". What he does when he's not playing doesn't change my life or the league, i don't think the teams would be any different this year even if you take away every player who "retired" via LTIR. I prefer the NHL accepting that "LTIR retirement" is a thing even though they don't say it, rather than everyone being all shady about it and players just disappearing and hiding from the media.

And i think it's always nice to have people in the studios who have just played the game and know the current players well.

Could always change the rules how these things affect the cap, like making LTIR retirement a legitimate thing for example, but at the end of the day it's just a technicality. Doesn't change the fact that the player is unable to play.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This is the stuff that will lead to another lockout. Players on IR that are for all intents retired.

Why it benefits the player and the team?

And people on LTIR may be able to work they just can't play hockey. It's a physically imposing game, while this is essentially a desk job.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Why it benefits the player and the team?

And people on LTIR may be able to work they just can't play hockey. It's a physically imposing game, while this is essentially a desk job.
Based on where you are from, having this loop hole works for you. The Leaves having a cap hit of $94MM and trading for LTIR contracts to get under the cap puts into stark perspective that it is a broken system and needs to be fixed, just like the 12 year front loaded "retirement" contracts.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The man that was known for the flying elbows to the back of the, cross checks from behind, and being a dirty player was made head of player safety. The point could be made they didn't take player safety serious either.

Or was he the perfect man for the job? Kind of a Hannibal Lecter situation.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Based on where you are from, having this loop hole works for you. The Leaves having a cap hit of $94MM and trading for LTIR contracts to get under the cap puts into stark perspective that it is a broken system and needs to be fixed, just like the 12 year front loaded "retirement" contracts.

I agree it's a broken system but it's not going to lead to a lockout over it.

Not everyone retires on LTIR. Luongo didn't and both Vancouver and Florida have a cap hit because of it, so there must be some medical proof required, which Callahan and Pronger were able to provide, but Luongo wasn't.

That medical note means they can't play hockey. Doesn't mean they can't work a desk job.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I agree it's a broken system but it's not going to lead to a lockout over it.

Not everyone retires on LTIR. Luongo didn't and both Vancouver and Florida have a cap hit because of it, so there must be some medical proof required, which Callahan and Pronger were able to provide, but Luongo wasn't.

That medical note means they can't play hockey. Doesn't mean they can't work a desk job.
If you can't play hockey, you can't fulfill the terms of your SPC. That means you need to retire, not sit around and collect a paycheck. Or in some players cases, 2 paychecks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you can't play hockey, you can't fulfill the terms of your SPC. That means you need to retire, not sit around and collect a paycheck. Or in some players cases, 2 paychecks.

Considering Ottawa gave him permission to take on the job, I see nothing wrong with it. I’m glad one of my “now former” players is still around the game in some form.

Kudos to Ottawa for allowing him, earned a lot of respect for the organization whom I know are in a rough patch now.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You should let the owners and players know before they negotiate the next CBA.

Reactions: Fudge

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Just as long as hes ready for the playoffs come april... need a backup in case namestnikov gets hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->