Confirmed with Link: Ryan “Norris” Pulock 2 x 2

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nice. This is his bridge deal. Hopefully he establishes himself as a top4 Defensman and then we lock him up long term.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Was hoping for longer term but this is fine, a bridge. However he is really good, and he is going to get a hefty raise 2 years from now and hopefully its from us!!!

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Good news--I like the bridge deal for him. Still needs to prove he can be a Top 4 guy before locking in for bigger dollars long term. Hopefully he makes the org pay down the road as he becomes a rock in his own end and a lethal shot from the point on the PP

Reactions: MIK55

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Was hoping for longer term but this is fine, a bridge. However he is really good, and he is going to get a hefty raise 2 years from now and hopefully its from us!!!

I have no issue with this. While I love Pulock and his potential going forward, he has been banged up quite a bit during his ELC. I would have been ok with locking him up long term, but I think it's the prudent play on both sides is to go with the bridge deal now.

If he has a breakout season, extension talks could be under way for July 1st.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
has a real coach now and will log big minutes, not stuck in the Weight basement anymore. I'd bet on myself too if i'm him

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Good move, why are we "norris-ing" him last time we did that to a dman he turned into a matador in Spain... (see Mr Leddy in 2017/18)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Was hoping for a 5 year deal around 4-4.5 since I believe he is a player and he will get paid in the end. But he is betting on himself. Overall, it is good he and the Isles agreed to a deal.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Right now I've got:

Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock
Hickey-Mayfield

There is in house competition for that #6 spot with Devon Toews, Aho, Rathgeb, and a few others

Still would like to see the Islanders add a FA whether it be Hamhuis, Orpik, or Enström. They can handle a bottom pair and play top pair in a pinch, and munch minutes if need be.

With Trotz I expect our defense to be vastly improved

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Wouldn't have minded giving him a Hamonic type of deal to lock in his prime years but oh well.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I still hate having Pelech, Mayfield on long term deals - even though it's not huge money. I just think they're so slow, not much upside (especially offensively) and I hope Trotz doesn't quit before he fixes the team. He wants to get paid, so I guess we have that!

I also hate that our best players are either on ELC or pending UFAs while. Pulock is also very slow but love his offense and physicality, especially since I expect Trotz to use him on the PP.

And that guarantees that Pulock will put up great numbers and price himself into a 6-7 year deal at huge dollars in a year. Hopefully well-deserved but with dmen especially, sometimes offensive numbers can force overpayment for poor players (like Mike Green, Kevin Shattenkirk).

Anyway, too much complaining, glad he's signed for two years!

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Good. Toews now Pulock. Hoping he can build on a strong 2nd half.

BTW, he was a good find in the middle first round; kudos NYI.

Hunter and a top 4 D next.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
My guess is it is 1m year 1 and 1.5 year 2.

Player and agent probably did not want anything longer.

Also this is a new regime - Pelech and Mayfield long contract may not be Lou's pref.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Pelech and Mayfield are possible trade bait. Still young and raw, I could see a few rebuilding clubs taking a flyer on them, eg Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal etc.

Reactions: CupHolders

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Pelech and Mayfield are possible trade bait. Still young and raw, I could see a few rebuilding clubs taking a flyer on them, eg Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal etc.

Hey, let's reduce our roster flexibility so that in the future we can dump the dead weight for greater roster flexibility.

I'm pretty sure that whatever trade value Mayfield had was better on short-term deals than a nonsense 5-yr deal.

Reactions: 12Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad