RW Zion Nybeck - HV71 J20, SuperElit (2020, 115th, CAR)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sweden and Finland played three games here in Pitea in august I think. I was there covering the first game, and afterwards three of the Swedish guys contacted me on facebook asking for pictures (I was there with a camera). It got me thinking it'd be pretty cool if they turn out to become NHL players in the future. Zion was one of the players messaging me. He was good in the game I watched. I took a photo right when he scored :)

zion-nybeck-hittade-en-lucka-t

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Were could he place himself at in the 2020 draft in the moment?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Were could he place himself at in the 2020 draft in the moment?

He's really small, probably a lot closer to 5'8 than 5'11. I'm not normally a size fanatic but it will hurt his draft stock a lot. Probably a mid rounder for now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's really small, probably a lot closer to 5'8 than 5'11. I'm not normally a size fanatic but it will hurt his draft stock a lot. Probably a mid rounder for now.

Berggren went 33rd at 5'10, and there are some guys under 5'10 who sometimes go in the first round. He has a year and a half to grow. I wouldn't yet start worrying that his draft stock will be impacted a lot based on his size.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I hope he overcome that obsticle and become a great NHL player. Seams realy skillfull.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Berggren went 33rd at 5'10, and there are some guys under 5'10 who sometimes go in the first round. He has a year and a half to grow. I wouldn't yet start worrying that his draft stock will be impacted a lot based on his size.

I think Berggren is a fair comparable and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nybeck turns into a similar prospect before the draft. There is a lot to like about him for sure. His numbers in J20 are fantastic but I wouldn't call him a dominant player just yet, he's racking up a ton of points on a great PP. He will need to either impress in the SHL or be extremely dominant in J20 like Berggren was last year to get into that 1st-mid 2nd round conversation. Nybeck already has a rather thick frame so I wouldn't bet on him growing a whole lot more.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Big four for Sweden. Raymond, Holtz, Nybeck and Gunler. I expect Sweden to be very good in this years U18 tournament.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's an incredible talent. 32 points in 27 games in SuperElit so far.

Here are four of his goals from two games in late January:

The hustle, the skill, the speed, the shot. No idea how he finds those holes from impossible angles. Really hoping he can grow another inch or two.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Added 3 goals and 3 assists in the two games he played over the weekend. Now 38 points in 29 games in SuperElit, exactly the same as Lucas Raymond, whom he is tied with in PPG among U17 players in SuperElit, both ahead of Alexander Holtz.

This kid is crazy underrated. He has so much game that I don't think his size really matters. Elite talent.

The 2020 draft looks like one for the ages for Sweden.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He's been impressive these last few games. Strong for a small guy with great balance on his skates.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Zion ends his SuperElit regular season with 17 goals, & 26 assists for 43 points in 35 games.

He ties William Nylander, & Rickard Hugg for 4th all-time in points in a U17 season. Remove Holtz, & Raymond and he'd be tied for 2nd.

His 17 goals ties him with Jesper Bratt, & André Burakovsky for 9th in goals in a U17 season(8th if removing Holtz).

The 26 assists ties Lucas Wallmark for 4th in a U17 season(3rd if removing Raymond).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I doubt he’ll be the second Swede picked in 2020, but I don’t think it’s that unlikely that he’ll be the second best Swede to be drafted in the first round next year after Raymond.

Reactions: Zaddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->