RW Yegor Chinakhov (2020, 21st, CBJ)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Looks like Jarmo knew what he was doing with this pick. PLD v 2.0 at the draft. PLD is a stud and this guy looks like he's going to be another stud as well. Amazing value pick in late 1st on a pick that was out of left field.

I'm very excited about Chinakhov, he could become a serious sniper in the NHL. Saying that, I don't like leaping forward to call it a home run pick already. It's too early.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched the game and Chinakhov didn't shoot particularly well on the PP, which is supposed to be his bread and butter. Instead it was his speed - on the forecheck and on the breakaway - that made the game for him. I've read in his old scouting reports that he lacks defensive awareness. I didn't see that in this game, it seems he may have remedied that.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Looks like Jarmo knew what he was doing with this pick. PLD v 2.0 at the draft. PLD is a stud and this guy looks like he's going to be another stud as well. Amazing value pick in late 1st on a pick that was out of left field.
No it dosnt, he could’ve picked him in the 4th-7th round

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty sure I read that was at least 1 more team that had him like top 40. The Jackets were short picks this year; I like them getting their guy. Their track record with Siberian’s is really strong.

They just need to get Kravtsov and Askarov (?) and they'd have like every serious Siberian prospect.

Chinakhov
Marchenko
Voronkov
Tarasov

Bob was another Siberian, and Panarin is from Urals but technically Siberian.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They just need to get Kravtsov and Askarov (?) and they'd have like every serious Siberian prospect.

Chinakhov
Marchenko
Voronkov
Tarasov

Bob was another Siberian, and Panarin is from Urals but technically Siberian.
Ural is technically not Siberia.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ural is technically not Siberia.

In the West the land is either European or Asian (Siberian), no in between. In Russia is Urals considered one or the other? Where are the borders? When I looked up Chelyabinsk, the article said the Asian border was the Miass river, which is west and north of Korkino, Panarin's hometown. Silly stuff, I know.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In the West the land is either European or Asian (Siberian), no in between. In Russia is Urals considered one or the other? Where are the borders? When I looked up Chelyabinsk, the article said the Asian border was the Miass river, which is west and north of Korkino, Panarin's hometown. Silly stuff, I know.
It's not different in the West, it's just the West tends to fall back into old habits of ignorantly generalize. Best put together in a first West German chancellor Adenauer quote:"In Deutz[part of Cologne] begins the bolshevism, and after Kassel[city] begins Walachia[basically the part of Europe where Dracula was from, more or less the territory of modern Romania]. And when at Magdeburg I come into the norther-german lowlands, I am in Asia.". He was of course not that uneducated in geography, he meant to say, that in his eyes the so called "western civilization" ends way further East than most people think and for him it was not even at the border of East Germany. And of course it was derogatory and racist as he definitely used Walachia as symbol of some land barbaric and pictured Asia as something downright worth less than his West. Oftentimes I find myself looking at a picture of "Great Tartaria" to cover all the land east of Western Europe on some old european maps. It's not as simple as determining whether it's Europe or Asia in this case.

Siberia is just a part of the asian part of Russia. The real trick is though there are different definitions of it's borders. Geografically, politically and traditionally. So there is nothign wrong with having a dispute about those as even the scientists might not agree 100%. So if we leave most of the european part of Russia aside, there are traditionally following parts of Russia: Ural(west of the mountains it's europeand east of it asian, but it is refered to as a singel region, sometimes summed up as Greater Ural as it is huge stretching from the polar regions of northern Ural to the hot steppes of Kazakhstan. It is also an own federal distict in Russia(a unity of a few federal subjects similar to states in the US). There are eight of them and they are basically reflecting the traditional partiotioning of russian regions very common and present everywhere in Russia.), Siberia and Far East. It is somewhat similar to the US understanding of East Coast, West Coast and Midwest. So Siberia is inbetween Ural and Far East, while Far East are basically the eastern coastal regions from the Bering Sea and the US border with Alaska to the Okhotsk Sea and Sea of Japan at Sakhalin(of course speaking of the Russian Far East. The Greater Far East in our understanding the Russian Far East+Eastern Asia and Southeastern Asia). Politically the Far East federal district contains a lot of regions(and I mean millions of square miles) that are traditionally are considered part of core Siberia though, like Sakha-Yakutia or Buryatiya. I.e. both east and west the borders of what to call Siberia can be drawn somewhat differently, for example the region to the East of the Baikal can be sometimes considered still Siberia or not. Same is tru for the Eastern Ural. Geografically some would say that everything Eastern Ural is already Siberia, BUT I bet you if you ask someone from Russia who is from Chelyabinsk(or Korkino for that matter) where he/she is from in Russia 10/10 he/she would say "I am from Ural" and never would they call themselves "sibiryaky", i.e. Siberians, while someone from Omsk, Novosibirsk, Novokuznetsk would always say they are from Siberia. Same goes for the Far Eastern part of Russia. People from there would probably never consider themselves Siberians.

You see, it is not silly at all and can be complicated. But basically just because the traditional understanding of what regions are "Sibir" may be different from politcal borders and geografical disputes of the scientists. Therefore in my russian understanding Panarin is a clear cut Ural native, while even just for the fun of it I looked up the others Columbus guys mentioned and they are all indeed true Siberians by origin.

There is a fun link for you:

Обалдеть! Российская молодежка вынесла взрослую сборную Финляндии – 6:2. Все голы наших в первом матче Евротура – тут

There is a map of Russia with the birthplaces of the U20 team players.

Cheers

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thanks for the details, I like that so many Russians seem to appreciate the interesting geography of their country.

Geografically some would say that everything Eastern Ural is already Siberia, BUT I bet you if you ask someone from Russia who is from Chelyabinsk(or Korkino for that matter) where he/she is from in Russia 10/10 he/she would say "I am from Ural" and never would they call themselves "sibiryaky", i.e. Siberians, while someone from Omsk, Novosibirsk, Novokuznetsk would always say they are from Siberia.

That is what I meant by "technically" - I meant purely geographically, not culturally.

Same goes for the Far Eastern part of Russia. People from there would probably never consider themselves Siberians.

That I had no idea about.

That is indeed a fun map for a geographically obsessed person like me. I wish there were maps like that for every team! It would be fun to watch it for the U20 / World Juniors, and see how the distribution changes year by year.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the details, I like that so many Russians seem to appreciate the interesting geography of their country.

That is what I meant by "technically" - I meant purely geographically, not culturally.

That I had no idea about.

That is indeed a fun map for a geographically obsessed person like me. I wish there were maps like that for every team! It would be fun to watch it for the U20 / World Juniors, and see how the distribution changes year by year.
The problem is geografically there is no unity either. Just like with borders of Europe and Asia. While Ural mountains are a pretty obvious terminator here the rest of the border is up for dispute for centuries now. Same goes for Siberia. Some scientists assume it to span over the whole of asian Russia, some would rather place it like I did. And if we go into etymology and history the Sibir Khanate from the early Middle Ages existed way further eastward around Altay and conquered big chinks of China.

I prefer to pin it down to tectonic plates for precision. Other than that toponyms like Sibir are more of a cultural thing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The problem is geografically there is no unity either. Just like with borders of Europe and Asia. While Ural mountains are a pretty obvious terminator here the rest of the border is up for dispute for centuries now. Same goes for Siberia. Some scientists assume it to span over the whole of asian Russia, some would rather place it like I did. And if we go into etymology and history the Sibir Khanate from the early Middle Ages existed way further eastward around Altay and conquered big chinks of China.

I prefer to pin it down to tectonic plates for precision. Other than that toponyms like Sibir are more of a cultural thing.

I believe you were thinking of a different Khanate. Sibir was centered around Tobolsk/Tyumen, much closer to the Urals than that. In any case, we can do tangential discussions privately next time. I've already complained about others sidetracking the Chinakhov thread, now I shouldn't do the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Observations from watching Chinakhov in the first two games of the Karjala Cup:

On the U20 squad Chinakhov is still used like a third liner and PP weapon, similar to how he plays in Omsk. He got many shifts but kept his shifts very short, often leaving for the bench far too abruptly. Is this coming from the coach? Is Yegor lacking confidence? Or is he just not conditioned properly, still growing?

Chinakhov plays very fast and light, and obviously has a great instinct for goal scoring. I didn't think he played a great game, sometimes seemed to try too much before rushing to the bench, but he is the type of player that only needs one or two mistakes by the opponent and then he strikes. I suspect that will be his role even in the NHL, but I hope he can learn to read the game better and get stronger. Contrary to his old scouting reports, I saw him make some good defensive plays and he was very careful in that regard, I thought his offensive instincts were where his choices were more questionable.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Contrary to his old scouting reports, I saw him make some good defensive plays and he was very careful in that regard
If he was so bad defensively as some "reports" say he wouldn't be playing the minutes that he is for Hartley. Omsk isn't short on players.

Reactions: majormajor

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I believe you were thinking of a different Khanate. Sibir was centered around Tobolsk/Tyumen, much closer to the Urals than that. In any case, we can do tangential discussions privately next time. I've already complained about others sidetracking the Chinakhov thread, now I shouldn't do the same.
I mean the earier, i.e. the first one. In was 800 years before the Tyumen one. Last OT post in this thread. Promise.;)

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad