RW Yegor Chinakhov (2020, 21st, CBJ)

Tenkkapoo

Jul 28, 2020
Of Amirov, Podkolzin and Chinakhov I was the least impressed with Chinakhov. He tends to shoot too much on bad angles.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah if he wasn't a great goal scorer he wouldn't be worth a whole lot. :laugh:
It's more about his mindset. He really scored on a great opportunity and then tried that shot another 3 or 4 times ending up shooting into the goalie's chest, once or twice while there was a great opportunity to pass it to a teammate in a better position. That's too straight forward. He is a physically gifted guy and that might be enough to be a good to great hockey player depending on the level of physical abilities, but he is not thinking the game nearly as good as say Podkolzin.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's more about his mindset. He really scored on a great opportunity and then tried that shot another 3 or 4 times ending up shooting into the goalie's chest, once or twice while there was a great opportunity to pass it to a teammate in a better position. That's too straight forward. He is a physically gifted guy and that might be enough to be a good to great hockey player depending on the level of physical abilities, but he is not thinking the game nearly as good as say Podkolzin.

Right I don't think Chinakhov has enough playmaker in him. But my point is that he will beat goalies at a good rate, it's worth a lot even if it's repetitive one-dimensional play.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I agree, that Ovechkin guy shoots far too much as well, weak hockey sense.
First of all, Ovechkin has more hockey sense and playmaking in him. At least now, and Chinakhov is still a kid. And then yes, Ovechkin is EXACTLY that kind of player with such an unsurmountable amount of pure physical skill, be it his shooting accuracy and hand-eye or his powerful stride and bull-like build, given to him at birth by the Holy God, that he can easily just rely on it and beat everyone among the best in the world, even though they know what he is doing and try to prevent it. The downside of it is if you are not Ovechkin(and no one else is) you will have add to that to have great success. On the bright side, not everyone gets that kind of forward instincts or more like very few people do, so Chinakhov will be able to thrive on his pure talent, but he would be well advised to work on some other parts of the game too. For instance to not fall back in the shoot from all angles mentality IF the game suggests otherwise. He certainly will not be the brains of a scoring line, he doesn't have to, but I would love to see more brain rather than just instinct in his game.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Right I don't think Chinakhov has enough playmaker in him. But my point is that he will beat goalies at a good rate, it's worth a lot even if it's repetitive one-dimensional play.
He has the luxury of studying in Russia the type of hockey that is more of a puck posession and thinking the game type. He should take all he can from that. This would add to his repertoire. The pure skill of an explosive forward he already has.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I didnt watch these games but on NHL ice ill never complain about a guy shooting too much. With the smaller ice and net front play its very rarely a bad idea to shoot

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I didnt watch these games but on NHL ice ill never complain about a guy shooting too much. With the smaller ice and net front play its very rarely a bad idea to shoot
It's only bad when you are on the PP and the other guy is wide open on the other side of the net.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's only bad when you are on the PP and the other guy is wide open on the other side of the net.
You probably arent aware of the CBJ PP which is fair, ill still stand by my comment.
I understand evolving and growing which comes with time and experience but I also know young players will and need to make mistakes and learn. Its a critism I have of Torts as a coach where he can be so rough on young players trying to grow their weaknesses to the point it hurts their strengths

Reactions: Atas2000

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

If we're talking about the game Vs. Czech Republic then he did the right thing: goalie clearly couldn't handle his shot without a dangerous rebound and Safonov looked very good in front of the net.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
He has the luxury of studying in Russia the type of hockey that is more of a puck posession and thinking the game type. He should take all he can from that. This would add to his repertoire. The pure skill of an explosive forward he already has.

It's always hard to predict how play on European ice will translate to NA ice. In North America there's less time for decision making so I hope he doesn't get too complacent with the extra amount of time he has to make decisions in Russia.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If we're talking about the game Vs. Czech Republic then he did the right thing: goalie clearly couldn't handle his shot without a dangerous rebound and Safonov looked very good in front of the net.
I think all goalies he faced in that tournament left a lot to be desired and that's a bad thing. I'd rather see him go against Askarov-likes to test his quality. And I am still always a fan of beating the goalie clean through passing. If no options are available, that's where Chinakhov's shot should come in handy.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's always hard to predict how play on European ice will translate to NA ice. In North America there's less time for decision making so I hope he doesn't get too complacent with the extra amount of time he has to make decisions in Russia.
For the whatever time, most KHL rinks are hybrid by now, some are NA sized. Also I don't see say swedish players who come from their league having trouble with it and the KHL is far less forgiving. It is more about the quality of players who will let you have time or not. That narratibve is basically not at all true anymore.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I see A LOT of people in the hockey media and on social media giving Jarmo and Co. the benefit of the doubt “because is Jarmo”. I’m here asking myself why he’s held in such regard. Besides the decision to pick Pierre Luc Dubois over Puljujarvi, their work in the first round has been pretty bad.

- Complete and utter disaster in 2013 with Wenneberg, Reicel, and Damo
- Milano is a pretty big disappointment
- Gabriel Carlson is meh

I’m not so sure why he gets so much praise draft wise as recent history proves his results to be mediocre at best. Chinakhov could be good but let’s not act like Jarmo is some fantastic drafter.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I see A LOT of people in the hockey media and on social media giving Jarmo and Co. the benefit of the doubt “because is Jarmo”. I’m here asking myself why he’s held in such regard. Besides the decision to pick Pierre Luc Dubois over Puljujarvi, their work in the first round has been pretty bad.

- Gabriel Carlson is meh

I’m not so sure why he gets so much praise draft wise as recent history proves his results to be mediocre at best. Chinakhov could be good but let’s not act like Jarmo is some fantastic drafter.

Wasn't Gavrikov picked in the 6th round? And I bet, Marchenko will become a star in the league one day, and he's a 2nd rounder. Btw, who did that trade for Seth Jones? Looks like a brilliant move nowadays.

Reactions: Gagnefan924

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Wasn't Gavrikov picked in the 6th round? And I bet, Marchenko will become a star in the league one day, and he's a 2nd rounder. Btw, who did that trade for Seth Jones? Looks like a brilliant move nowadays.

What does trading for Seth Jones have to do with a poster questioning Jarmo's ability to draft in the 1st round?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

- Gabriel Carlson is meh

It's a bit disingenuous to lay 2013 on Jarmo's resume. He became GM in February 2013. Technically he was in charge, but 3 months is hardly enough time to evaluate an entire draft. Jarmo then hired Ville Sirén and Josef Boumedienne on July 8, 2013 after the draft so he clearly wanted to revamp the scouting dept.

You are also ignoring Jarmo's work as a scout at Ottawa and St. Louis. Nobody bats 100%, but he's been involved in drafting some very good players indeed.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018

This is in regards to their first round, and that’s a draft not a draft pick lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad