RW Vyacheslav Gretsky - Amur Khabarovsk, KHL (2015 Undrafted)

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I mean no surprise here given that Wayne’s family originated from the Eastern Europe region, eventually there will be players with the same name.

Gretsky is probably what their original name was, later changed to Gretzky to westernize it more

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
  • Love
Reactions: Realgud

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean no surprise here given that Wayne’s family originated from the Eastern Europe region, eventually there will be players with the same name.

Gretsky is probably what their original name was, later changed to Gretzky to westernize it more
I don't see how changing an 's' to a 'z' would westernize the name more, lol

Reactions: HanSolo

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL

I actually went to kindergarten in Tver with the guy named Ivan Gretzky.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023

Or it was misspelled when they arrived and just never changed it

Ski or sky seems to be the norm for these nanes

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He doesn't appear to be that good on paper based on his career to date, but idk, look at that name.
Man I immediately thought that you were pulling a prank when I saw the thread title but ya that name probably gave everyone the same gut reaction/first thought.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Ski or sky seems to be the norm for these nanes

Nope, that's a completely different ending. S is not the same as C, and also, -ski is primarily a Polish ending, while -sky would typically be Russian or Ukrainian.

As mentioned earlier, the letters Z or S in the letter combinations TZ or TS are meant to convey (in German or English) the original (Slavic) letter/sound C. It has nothing to do with that common ending -ski/-sky in Polish, Russian, or Ukrainian names.

I suppose you all know that Gretzky means Greek in translation, right? (In Slovak, grécky means Greek, and Grécko means Greece.)

Last edited:
Reactions: VikingAv

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nope, that's a completely different ending. S is not the same as C, and also, -ski is primarily a Polish ending, while -sky would typically be Russian or Ukrainian.

As mentioned earlier, the letters Z or S in the letter combinations TZ or TS are meant to convey (in German or English) the original (Slavic) letter/sound C. It has nothing to do with that common ending -ski/-sky in Polish, Russian, or Ukrainian names.

I suppose you all know that Gretzky means Greek in translation, right? (In Slovak, grécky means Greek, and Grécko means Greece.)

In Russian Gretskiy used to be Greek like 150 years ago, nowadays it's obsolete, but we still have gretskiy orekh (English walnut, but in Russia it's obviously Greek nut).

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
In Russian Gretskiy used to be Greek like 150 years ago, nowadays it's obsolete, but we still have gretskiy orekh (English walnut, but in Russia it's obviously Greek nut).

Yeah, of course. Languages change over time. I realize that in today's Russian, Greek is grecheskiy, no longer gretskiy.

It so happens that in today's Slovak, it's still grécky, so practically identical to Gretzky's name – just using the original (non-westernized/non-germanized) spelling.

(It's interesting that in Czech, although usually so similar to Slovak, the word is changed rather radically to řecký.)

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023

Ahhh...the tz letter combination never even occured to me

Isn't his background Russian?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Given as Anton Gretzkij in the Ellis Island records, then became Tony Gretzky in America. But yeah, quite possibly distant relatives given that also old Anton was from Grodno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad