RW Vitaly Kravtsov (2018, 9th, NYR; traded to VAN) Part2

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure if anyone has rectified that already, but there are more and more NHL size rinks in the KHL, no ?
Yes, this season 6 NHL size (60x26), 11 Finnish size (60x28) and 7 IIHF size (60x30). The league plans to use one rink-size in the future, they have been making analysis right now. I expect the first recommendations at KHL Board in December.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I know he had an unimpressive...5 games? But from what I've seen of him I believe he has a high end around rantanen if he hits his upside. (Despite what people are taking from a silly 5 game stint)

That is very optimistic. Even as a Rangers fan I don't buy that. Rantanen scored 87 points in 74 games (which would translate to 96 pts in 82 games). He might be a poor man's Rantanen/Marner (60 pt playmaker) at best.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Not sure if anyone has rectified that already, but there are more and more NHL size rinks in the KHL, no ?
It’s even between NHL & Olympic sheets, with a plurality being Liiga size.

With IIHF mandating that any venue looking to host must go to NHL sheet, going back hinders his time/space adjustment somewhat, the off ice training/nutrition regimen is potentially the greater problem.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
Elite Prospects shows that he's now played a game in the VHL, any idea why? Did he get demoted, or did that game happen before he played in the KHL?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Reactions: The Sweetness

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No demotion, I think the KHL had a 10 day layoff so just to get Krav some reps
Exactly. There was the international break (Euro Hockey Tour), so the KHL had a break. Hence, he moved to the farm team in the VHL to play a game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was at the All-Star Game last year and talked to him a little bit, and we actually played Traktor right before the break and I talked to him about it quickly because it was the first or second game back. I think it’s definitely comfort level; he’s going to play a lot here, and he’s been here for a while—not sure if [Chelyabinsk] is his hometown or not (Kravtsov was born in Vladivostok). It’s tough, I mean—a lot of European players coming over, from what I’ve been seeing and hearing, are getting these clauses in their contract. You can’t blame him. He’s going to make probably ten times as much money here as he would be in the minors. It’s a comfort thing, but he’s also getting ahead financially at this point.

I thought this is a good point brought up by Nigel Dawes in his interview when he was asked about Kravtsov.

How many of those "hur-dur he has to prove it because NHL and because reasons" posters would agree to get shitty treatment (even if it's by "entitled kids'" standards) in an unfamiliar environment by getting more or less as much as he has to spend while he can make hundreds of thousands of dollars, possibly more than his whole family makes in 10 years, while getting minutes with the team he knows and likes.

By picking someone #9 overall in the draft you are entitling them to get special treatment. Furthermore, he isn't a spoiled child, he is a professional hockey player who could make serious money at home being asked to play for peanuts in the AHL. Some of the fans can ride their high-horse all they want but I wonder if they have ever been in a situation where they chose 10 times lower salary just due to some trivial reasons.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Lol are you just throwing names out to see what sticks?

Kravstov looks cautiously to me like Radulov sans the puck protection but he has the frame to be like Rads. Stronger north/south players than traditional puckhandlers.

I think he plays a lot like Kuznetsov. Just on the wing.

Reactions: slumpy43

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At this point, the blame game doesn't matter. There are a lot of different opinions.

The problem becomes what happens if he isn't NHL ready next season. He wasn't all that close this past season. I don't even think it was a hard decision out of training camp to send him to the AHL. Next season he'll almost certainly be closer because it's hard to think he won't improve, even if its minimally, but there's no guarantee he'll be NHL ready.

Post-draft KHL seasons before signing ELC

Tarasenko: 3
Kuznetsov: 4
Panarin: 5
Buchnevich: 3
Kaprizov: 5 if he signs after this season

Kravtsov signed after 1, wasn't ready, and he'll come back to the Rangers at the beginning of training camp after two seasons. That would still make him the quickest of these forwards to the NHL. Will he be good enough? Was he more NHL ready than all of these prospects?

Kravtsov has already refused to play in the AHL. Is he going to go to the AHL next season if he doesn't make the team? Is he going to request to be sent back again for another interrupted season to the KHL? How many seasons is this going to go on if he isn't NHL ready?

The issue was signing him after one season to begin with, when it's clear the kid didn't want to play in the AHL. If the team and player both agreed that the player was going to develop in the AHL for the length of time needed before he was NHL ready, I can understand why he would sign.

It seems like the player and team both didn't think this through very clearly, and now there's going to be a problem going forward with his development, if he isn't NHL ready sooner than all the other best KHL forwards to come to the NHL in recent seasons.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
I think he plays a lot like Kuznetsov. Just on the wing.

Yeah I can see that too.

I've watched hundreds of Kuzy's games and dozens of Kravtsov's games and the only same things between them are Traktor and some letters in their surnames.
They play completely different hockey. Kuzy always was more relying oh his magic skating, when he looks like he is not even try to run, but smoothly sliding between trees (that is how defencemen look against him). And the second thing is great IQ.

Vitaly is more about hands and he has another type of skating, but his skating is good either.

Kuzy played more mature hockey since his earliest seasons, but even for older Evgeny it was not easy to adjust to NA hockey.
Kravtsov still has A LOT of bad habits and he is very raw player. That is why he needed to stay in KHL for year or more, or he could play in top-6 in AHL (but Hartford's coach had another opinion).

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I've watched hundreds of Kuzy's games and dozens of Kravtsov's games and the only same things between them are Traktor and some letters in their surnames.
They play completely different hockey. Kuzy always was more relying oh his magic skating, when he looks like he is not even try to run, but smoothly sliding between trees (that is how defencemen look against him). And the second thing is great IQ.

Vitaly is more about hands and he has another type of skating, but his skating is good either.

Kuzy played more mature hockey since his earliest seasons, but even for older Evgeny it was not easy to adjust to NA hockey.
Kravtsov still has A LOT of bad habits and he is very raw player. That is why he needed to stay in KHL for year or more, or he could play in top-6 in AHL (but Hartford's coach had another opinion).

IQ is hard imo cuz all the stuff Krav does is well, against non-nhlers so I don't really have much to compare to and his pre-season games were pretty poor i thought. I find both of them like to weave around in a slower yet strong stride and while they play a north/south style they still like to do some weaving. Again Kuzy is probably faster but since i don't have KHL stuff to watch, Krav looks just as fast relative to his peers there.

Thats why i thought he looked closer to Radulov (without the puck protection) especially i thought in terms of strides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad