RW Simon Holmström - HV71 J20, SuperElit (2019, 23rd, NYI)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Don't think there is a thread for this kid. Currently leading the J20 Top 10 division in scoring, very impressive considering his age. Strong skating playmaking winger who can also score goals, loved his play at TV Pucken a year ago where he was very dominant. Had injury problems to start this season and missed the WU17 Hockey Challenge. I think he's the best Swedish forward prospect for next years draft, love his upside. He's probably a little bit bigger than what he's listed at. Not related to Tomas or Axel.

Simon Holmström

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He's just dominating J20 Superelit right now. Three assists today, could have been more. 15 points in 10 games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saw him play today. Like most of the Swedish team, he wasn't that good. He was playing on a line with Holtz, neither played well.

He had a few nice shifts though towards the end of the game. One time on the PP he carried the puck past pretty much everyone on the ice to the goal line. Supposedly had an assist on the first goal, but I didn't see it, as I missed the first few minutes.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty great season for him overall. Finished 1st in points in SuperElit Top10 and won JSM, the junior championship, having 8 points in 6 games. Also the top scorer among U17 players in SuperElit this year. Curious to see how he develops next year.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Simon Holmstrom is not a name that many talk about as a top pick right now, but I strongly believe that he could be a Top 10 selection based on what I've seen. He exudes potential -- an excellent skater who is very comfortable with his edges a la Nico Hischier and Filip Zadina. He is a puck hound who roams around the ice to provide puck support. At 5'11'', 175 lbs, he is decently sized, but he is very mobile and always very engaged in the play. He makes crisp passes and has shown good stickhandling abilities, although he could work on becoming a more deceptive one-on-one player. Out of all of the players I have seen so far, I rank him ahead of most -- just below Cozens and Suzuki. He plays for HV71 of the SuperElit U20 league, and last year greatly outpaced all other 2019-eligible players in that league in scoring, including Maxim Cajkovic. I think he's a Top 10 talent in this draft class. His downside might be that he takes a lot of risks with the puck and sometimes makes ill-advised decisions. He has a great skill set and anticipates well, but when he has the puck he sometimes gambles and loses. If he can tidy up his one-on-one game, he'll be great. I thought Filip Zadina was guilty of too many high-risk plays last year.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Simon Holmstrom is not a name that many talk about as a top pick right now, but I strongly believe that he could be a Top 10 selection based on what I've seen. He exudes potential -- an excellent skater who is very comfortable with his edges a la Nico Hischier and Filip Zadina. He is a puck hound who roams around the ice to provide puck support. At 5'11'', 175 lbs, he is decently sized, but he is very mobile and always very engaged in the play. He makes crisp passes and has shown good stickhandling abilities, although he could work on becoming a more deceptive one-on-one player. Out of all of the players I have seen so far, I rank him ahead of most -- just below Cozens and Suzuki. He plays for HV71 of the SuperElit U20 league, and last year greatly outpaced all other 2019-eligible players in that league in scoring, including Maxim Cajkovic. I think he's a Top 10 talent in this draft class. His downside might be that he takes a lot of risks with the puck and sometimes makes ill-advised decisions. He has a great skill set and anticipates well, but when he has the puck he sometimes gambles and loses. If he can tidy up his one-on-one game, he'll be great. I thought Filip Zadina was guilty of too many high-risk plays last year.

Like you said, fantastic skater with good balance, good hands and very good on the PP. I would say Holmström is 6'0 or taller and he has the frame of a hockey player. He's a better player than Cajkovic in my book for sure.

Hip surgery before the summer is keeping Holmström out until October so he missed the Hlinka and weeks of off-ice training this summer. Will be interesting to see what he looks like when he returns. Could definitely see him being a high pick but his injuries are a bit worrying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Rose up to 22 on my most recent rankings based off of recent viewings, I think he's flying under the radar for sure.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'm not too big on throwing players up my rankings, I like to consistently move them up based on play.
When it’s the off-season a lot of guys jump based on short sample sizes
I’ve been watching him a lot lately. I’ve said this in the past but a lot of my rankings have recency bias, my final list is where I put all my thoughts together. My last list (and only) for 2019 had him at 24 so not a crazy jump but a decently big one

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
He must have been very impressive in all of your recent viewings considering he hasn't been playing since April because of surgery.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Making his SHL debut today, has played almost 5 minutes for HV71. Wearing #26.

Didn't actually expect him to get much icetime at all so wasn't paying attention, but I have a recording of the game and I'll look at his shifts again.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
With all these bad things happening to him could he be a steal for some brave team?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It sucks he’s been injured so much, I had him at 14 early on but the injuries are really making him drop

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Top prospect, just super unfortunate with injuries. Last year/beginning of this year he was bordering on entering my top 10, but he’s just not been lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->