RW Sam Colangelo - Western Michigan, NCAA (2020, 36th, ANA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sam Colangelo at eliteprospects.com

I saw this player in a mock draft, but didn't see a thread. Can someone tell me more about him?

Big winger. Net front style of guy with good hands. Skates well, and always has scored pretty well, but I wasn’t that convinced the first few games I had seen of him last season. I watched him a few times this week and I have the same conclusion again.

I could see him being picked anywhere from round 3-5.

Reactions: mymerlincat

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
An update on what I’ve seen recently.

He plays more of a perimeter role with Chicago than what I’ve seen a USA sweater.

I don’t think he’s skilled enough to play the perimeter role he’s playing with Chicago once he reached higher levels. He can pass/shoot pretty well, but I don’t know about the creativity/IQ. He’s able to play on the perimeter on the PP, but gets lost on the perimeter when there’s less ice.

I’m always impressed by his skating for a bigger winger. He’s very good at carrying the puck with speed.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Definitely one who came out of nowhere for me this season. I think he could be one of those guys that gets drafted at the end of the first round and makes more casual fans go, “Who?”

He’s got a bit of a laser. I imagine the hope of any team drafting him would be that coaches at the next level can get him over the mental obstacles to using that size and speed more aggressively to get himself better chances.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Colangelo is one of my favorites this year. Have often said that his style of play, at times, will remind me of David Pastrnak. He is someone I have on the 1st round / 2nd round bubble. He will be a steal anywhere later than that.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sam Colangelo was part of a dominant Chicago Steel team in the USHL this year. His 28 goals and 30 assists for 58 points in 44 games helped the team to a 41-7-1 record and first place in the regular season. When the USHL season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they were also awarded the league championship. With a +32, Colangelo led the league in that statistic. In 2017-18, Colangelo split time between three teams. He had three goals in 11 games for the Steel. He also put up 19 goals and 48 points in 28 games playing prep-school hockey for Lawrence Academy. Colangelo put up seven goals and eight points in nine games for the Boston Little Bruins U18 club.

Colangelo also represented the US on the international stage. At the 2018 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, he scored two goals in five tournament games. He also played at this season’s World Junior A Hockey Challenge, scoring one goal and one assist in six games and picking up a silver medal. Colangelo is committed to playing hockey for the Northeastern University Huskies next season. If he changes his mind and goes the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Charlottetown Islanders.

Our scouting report Sam Colangelo Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #44

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Would not shock me to see him go in the 1st. Not saying I'd advocate it, but totally the kind of player a lot of GMs like.

He needs improvements in a couple of areas but he has skills to be a productive top 6 player. I think he's going to be worth the gamble past the top 20.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Brisson gets all the attention but he had the most even strength points on the team

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Pavel Buchnevich Ducks continue drafting extremely well.

Maybe. I’d take the opinions of their scouts over most.

Not my favorite player. He has ability. I just don’t know what he is. It doesn’t seem like he does or anyone does. What becomes his trademark? He’s a little between a few playing styles, and you see a mix of skills, but I find nothing too consistent.

Let’s see what he becomes.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Give the kid a break lol. He had 27 points in 29 games year before. He can go to a better team and break out. And he's big. Writing that pick off already is premature.
Considering the consensus was Bordeleau as the BPA, I think they could have done better.

I doubt Colangelo ever plays 1 game in the NHL.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Six goals in 10 games to start the year with Western Michigan.

Not sure what the story was at Northeastern last year that led to players entering the transfer portal.

But hopefully he is getting his game back on track.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Top 10 in goals in the NCAA. As a Ducks fan I kind of expect him to go the UFA route, but the Ducks would be a perfect spot for him.

Here are the things the Ducks need at forward:
  • Size
  • Guys who can pull the trigger
  • Right handed RW
He fills all of those spots. If Henrique and/or Vatrano get traded at the deadline he has a clear path to a top 6 spot on the Ducks to finish the season.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Top 10 in goals in the NCAA. As a Ducks fan I kind of expect him to go the UFA route, but the Ducks would be a perfect spot for him.

Guess it depends on if the Ducks think he's worth burning an ELC year or not (if that matters to him), or if he really really wants to go to a particular team (or doesn't want to go to Anaheim). I suspect they'll offer him the chance this season, and if he says no they'll quickly move him for a pick like they did with Thrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad