RW Ryan Francis - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL (2020, 143rd, CGY)

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Is he actually that good or are his numbers a product of Batherson? Either way that's damn impressive for a 15 year old.

He was tearing it up in preseason as well with 12 points in 8 games before Batherson was back, most Eagles fans expected a solid rookie campaign but he's definitely exceeding expectations. Sure he has maybe 2-3 extra points due to the Batherson effect, but hes definitely not being carried, 4 of his 6 goals aren't assisted by Drake so a pretty good mix.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Had a rough 2nd season with Eagles but man he’s on FIRE this season. Every game I’ve witnessed of him so far he’s played amazing.

Very smart, can shoot and pass a puck with great accuracy and strength though more of a set up guy/passer in my opinion, decent physical game could use a bit of approval he plays with 2 beasts 6’4” and 6’5” Sokolov and Boudrias so he doesn’t really need to use his body that much, but overall he’s a great talent. Had a 30 point season at 16 which doesn’t come along often. Not to mention he played as a 15 year old for 3 months.

Currently if Francis is healthy and stays consistent mathematic wise he could get 80-110 points this season which would be unbelievable.

Cape Breton has quite a bit of assets still available to trade away to potentially win a Presidents Cup title this year, preferably more room in the defence end of their team. At the game I saw yesterday he got 2 goals and 2 assists and didn’t make a single mistake on the ice. Watch out for him!

Reactions: Dominance and Emerz

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Francis has been excellent this year, his shooting % may regress a bit (its at 20% which isn't even that high for an elite junior player) but his assist totals should remain high, I suspect he finishes with around 90 points. Late first/early 2nd is where I see him going.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'll have to watch him some more. In the games I saw he looked like a passenger. His teammates were creating everything for him.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'll have to watch him some more. In the games I saw he looked like a passenger. His teammates were creating everything for him.

I'd say he's the 2nd best player on the his line, Sokolov has progressed immensely from last season, but he's definitely the #2 guy, Boudrias is more of the beneficiary on that line.

Here's last nights highlights if you want to check out the 4 point night, he always seems to be in the right place (high hockey IQ?).

QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features.

Maybe one freebie point from a secondary assist on the 6th goal but that's about it.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeah this kid is really good. Glad to see he's turning some heads now - top-31 player for me so far in this draft.

The pass he made on the 2nd goal last night was nasty.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
36 points in 23 games on the year now.

Has to be a potential first/second rounder if he keeps his production up.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
First/second round seems fairly unlikely for an undersized forward. Is there a realistic possibility of him being drafted?

36 points in 23 games on the year now.

Has to be a potential first/second rounder if he keeps his production up.

Last edited:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
First/second round seems fairly unlikely for a second-year eligible, undersized forward. Is there a realistic possibility of him being drafted?

As was stated above this is his first year being Draft eligible.

He's looking like a mid round pick.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
First/second round seems fairly unlikely for an undersized forward. Is there a realistic possibility of him being drafted?
First year eligible. I think he goes late 3rd/early 4th round.

He definitely needs an elite player on his line to drive the play but he’s a great complimentary player

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted by the Cape Breton (Screaming) Eagles in the second round, 21st overall, in the 2017 QMJHL Draft, forward Ryan Francis broke out in his third year in the league. He put up 24 goals and 48 assists for 72 points in 61 games before the season was cancelled due to COVID-19. Francis also played one game for Team QMJHL in the Canada-Russia Super Series.

The Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia native took some time to find his legs in the QMJHL. In 2017-18 he put up 11 goals and 23 assists for 34 points in 58 games as a rookie. Francis also added one assist in five playoff games. In 2018-19, Francis scored 10 goals and 22 assists for 32 points in 64 games for Cape Breton. He also added two assists in nine playoff games as the Eagles were eliminated by the Rimouski Oceanic in the second round.

Prior to joining the QMJHL, Francis played for the Cole Harbour Wolfpack. With 17 goals and 51 points in 37 games in 2016-17, he was named the NSMMHL Rookie of the year. He also played for Team Nova Scotia in the QGC Cup, scoring two goals and 10 points in five games.

Our Scouting Report
Ryan Francis Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #102

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The Flames don't have to sign him just yet this summer but with the year he's having, should he really be back in the Q as an overager?

He has 27 pts in 16 games since joining the Sea Dogs and in total 48 pts in 31 games

Do they plan to sign him or not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad