RW Rocco Grimaldi - US NTDP, USHL (2011, 33rd overall, Florida) -religion factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gago

Jun 16, 2011
Ned Flanders, the devoted family man who takes an inordinate amount of abuse with gentle good humor and faces adversity without shrinking or withering?

Yeah, what a terrible role model.

I sure as hell hope that one single thing that I once said as an 18-year-old isn't going to continually be dredged up and used as the ultimate basis for what my personality and character really are, especially all these years later.

Flanders might be a good role model, but not someone I would want in my locker room if I was a player.

Obviously, I don't know Grimaldi personally, that interview was the first time I've seen him. But come on, you're not even drafted yet and you start talking about "mistakes" that your future teammates do in their private lives?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I wanted the Ducks to take him at 30, and hope they grab him in the 2nd round (although I don't think he falls past Detroit at 35 for some reason. I for one don't care where the guy thinks his talent and determination come from, because he has both in massive quantities.

Bill_Crosby*

As a Christian I've seen some take it entirely too far until it actually becomes quite showy in a way. It's something that he enjoys and it makes him happy, I don't blame him for wanting to share that with people as long as it doesn't over-shadow him as an individual person, which I've seen happen. He seems like a very intelligent and articulate young man, and I think it says more about the character of those that choose to attack him for sharing something important to him than it does to his for doing so.

Bill_Crosby*

Flanders might be a good role model, but not someone I would want in my locker room if I was a player.

Obviously, I don't know Grimaldi personally, that interview was the first time I've seen him. But come on, you're not even drafted yet and you start talking about "mistakes" that your future teammates do in their private lives?

Holy crazy hyperbolic misquote Batman, have an agenda much? It's not okay for Grimaldi to have one though, gotcha.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
I hope you realise that you are doing exactly what you are concerned he might be doing, "him trying to push his views on other people". And by the way, things in life are not always as simple as give me a proof that god exist, because you can't prove that he exist, and at the same time you can't proof that he does not. Posting a statement that religious people are ignorant is a proof of ignorance in itself.

But we should be talking about hockey, not the religious pov of Grimaldi and even less about yours.

Ever heard of the flying spaghetti monster? Check it out.

Anyways, he seems like a little bit of a tool to me, but who cares as long as he's good at hockey? I wouldn't care if he was a satanist as long as he scores lots of goals and keeps his personal beliefs serparate from his hockey career.

gago

Jun 16, 2011
Holy crazy hyperbolic misquote Batman, have an agenda much? It's not okay for Grimaldi to have one though, gotcha.

No agenda, like I said, it was the first time I've seen him, I don't know who he is, I am a Christian too and he is probably a really good guy.

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
Funny. I'm not a Christian but I was impressed by Grimaldi's interview. He's very well-spoken for a guy his age. Yes, he said "mistakes", but that's what HE believes they are. There's no way around that. He doesn't drink because he thinks it's a mistake. It slipped out during that interview, but you'd be a fool to assume that he's going to discipline his future teammates for sleeping with their girlfriends a few years from now.

He wasn't passed over because he's religious, he was passed over because he's small. He's a lock for the 1st half of the 2nd round.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Im sure Rocco really cares what a bunch of blow hards on the internet have to say. His play at every level speaks for itself. Look at his numbers vs NCAA teams this year..

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Everyone shut up. Eric Staal has something to say, so does Jordan and Marc and when they are done, you will listen to Shane Doan.

Bunch of morons seriously. Two captains.

I would also suspect Ovi and Kovalchuk are Christian unless, Russians just really picked up on Christmas after 70 years of it being banned.

Iginla, Toews, also Captains and Christians.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
You can't compare Reggie White, Pat Tillman, Tebow, etc. (all super religious NFL guys) to NHL players because the demographics are very different. I'd be willing to bet that 80 - 90% of NFL players are religious whereas I bet the number for NHL is a lot lower.

But who really knows for sure :dunno:

Where did you get 80-90%? Lots of football players are males who like "clubbing" and doing stupid stuff or engaging in "hood" behaviors. Profootball talk has a "Police Blotter" section. Every stinking week, at least one player is getting in some trouble with the law.

Hell, Roethlisberger(despite self-labeling as "Christian") is about the biggest fraud out there because many have mentioned that he's a ****** and womanizer.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
i thought i read a story about Rocco trying to convert his teammates over to Christianity. that's just weird to me. i guess it's because i don't believe in imposing my values onto other people. hopefully his religion makes him humble and level headed. boy has some crazy talent.

Clownpipe*

Media: "You're a midget aaand you love Jesus? Tell us about that."

(repeat x 1000)

I think even God is getting sick of the questions at this point. Doesn't appear that the immature teenagers he currently plays with have a problem with him, so I don't think things would get worse playing with adults in the NHL. I'm sure the kid knows the score, he's heard the trashtalk, etc. He probably knows if he gets preachy he will be praying to God to find him a new team more than once. He's super religious and kinda corny, but he doesn't sound stupid.

The room issues are also way overblown...it's not like there's a 20-deep millionaire bro posse hittin' the clubs every Friday, just waiting to destroy all the poon in sight. This is some teenage fantasy that some of you always insist on cooking up. On every team there are kids, old guys with families, guys who barely speak English, jerks, quiet types, dudes who get along at work but aren't super tight, etc....just like your place of employment. Not a single room in the NHL is all bros...there are always differences, but they all get along for the most part and make it work because they have a job to do and a common goal in mind. I'd hang out with this little bible-thumper before a guy like Datsyuk, who hasn't bothered to learn more than 3 words of English since he came to Detroit.

The kid looks like a player. Not surprised he got passed over, but I think whoever drafts him will be happy with their selection. Lots of skill and he will work twice as hard because he's so small.

Oilmageddon*

Let me repeat myself... Eric Staal, is a Christian. He is also a captain. Shane Doan is a Christian. He is also a captain. Jordan Staal is a Christian. He is a alternate captain. Marc Staal is a Christian. He is a alternate captain.
Wow sounds like they are all blessed :)

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
The fear isnt on-ice, its that his team-mates won't accept him and that he will be shunned in the locker room and/or piss off his team-mates.

What,like Laurie Boschman when Ballard traded him to Edmonton because of his perceived notion that Boschman wouldn't play tough enough.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
This thread has seriously devolved into one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this website...and that's say something.

Anyway, I don't think that his religiosity is the true issue, I think what GMs may be turned off about is the fact that this 18 year old kid is floating some very personal (and controversial) material in a very public way, which could lead some to think that he is going to be a divisive figure in the locker room.

It would be just as divisive if they guy was spouting off about politics or anything else.

Or, maybe GMs are concerned that he can't tell the difference between Qdoba and Taco Bell or whatever it was...that's probably the real problem.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I hope Calgary gets him. Iggy is one of the biggest religious players I know, so its not like Rocco would feel left out.

Personally, I'm not religious. I'd go as far to say I think organized religion is a lot of bupkis. But thats my personal opinion, and everyone is allowed their own. I'm not going to attack them for it.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Media: "You're a midget aaand you love Jesus? Tell us about that."

(repeat x 1000)

I think even God is getting sick of the questions at this point. Doesn't appear that the immature teenagers he currently plays with have a problem with him, so I don't think things would get worse playing with adults in the NHL. I'm sure the kid knows the score, he's heard the trashtalk, etc. He probably knows if he gets preachy he will be praying to God to find him a new team more than once. He's super religious and kinda corny, but he doesn't sound stupid.

The room issues are also way overblown...it's not like there's a 20-deep millionaire bro posse hittin' the clubs every Friday, just waiting to destroy all the poon in sight. This is some teenage fantasy that some of you always insist on cooking up. On every team there are kids, old guys with families, guys who barely speak English, jerks, quiet types, dudes who get along at work but aren't super tight, etc....just like your place of employment. Not a single room in the NHL is all bros...there are always differences, but they all get along for the most part and make it work because they have a job to do and a common goal in mind. I'd hang out with this little bible-thumper before a guy like Datsyuk, who hasn't bothered to learn more than 3 words of English since he came to Detroit.

The kid looks like a player. Not surprised he got passed over, but I think whoever drafts him will be happy with their selection. Lots of skill and he will work twice as hard because he's so small.
Haha great post.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I hope Calgary gets him. Iggy is one of the biggest religious players I know, so its not like Rocco would feel left out.

Personally, I'm not religious. I'd go as far to say I think organized religion is a lot of bupkis. But thats my personal opinion, and everyone is allowed their own. I'm not going to attack them for it.

Iginla would be retired if and or when Rocco made the big club

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
i thought i read a story about Rocco trying to convert his teammates over to Christianity. that's just weird to me. i guess it's because i don't believe in imposing my values onto other people. hopefully his religion makes him humble and level headed. boy has some crazy talent.

See kids, this is how rumours start :help:
"I thought I read a story about Rocco trying to convert his team mates over to Christianity" Yeah okay, you thought? How are you not sure about that? How would you be uncertain if you read a story like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad