RW Rocco Grimaldi - US NTDP, USHL (2011, 33rd overall, Florida) -religion factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
I'm not going to get into an ethics debate here, but generally the reason society holds certain behavior as moral or immoral is because of consequences. Drinking and smoking and sex before marriage can have severe consequences which can be avoided by abstaining.

It is obvious to me that he takes his health and his life seriously.

While in many cases true, some of the values and morals stressed in the Bible are ones no longer relevant today, since thousands of years have passed, and the world isn't the same place it was then. As long as people recognize that it's fine, but some religious people take everything written in the Bible to be fact and law, which is where problems arise.

For instance, the consequences of pre-marital sex are completely different now that birth control and condoms have been invented. It once may have been completely immoral, but now that people can have sex with minimal risk of pregnancy (and STDs provided that they use condoms), they can decide for themselves how they want to live, instead of obeying the Bible as law.

Likewise marriage used to be all about producing children to look after you when grow old, and having more hands to help with your work. However now it is no longer imperative that one have children, since we have health care and pensions, in fact many heterosexual couples choose not to. Now marriage is more about spending your life with someone that will make you happy, and as such it no longer makes sense to oppose gay marriage, while in Biblical times it did.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
I can see it now, he is on a winning team that won the cup and says, Sorry guys i cant drink out of the Stanley Cup cause i dont believe in drinking alcohol.:laugh:

Yet everyone was patting Darren McCarty on the back for pouring champagne out of the Cup and replacing it with a can of Coke (1998, maybe?).

The annals of NHL history are littered with guys whose careers and lives were negatively impacted by drugs, alcohol, and various other off-ice issues. Feel free to start naming some whose careers and lives were negatively impacted by their faith.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I think his religious stuff is a bit over the top, it's almost like a flamboyant homosexual, in that all the time has to show to the world how gay he is. Well, just looking at Rocco it seems like he just wants to show everyone 24/7 how religious he is, I personally find that just annoying as hell. I bet you he's the type of guy come game time or something the dude might be asking for group prayers and stuff, without understanding that some people simply aren't into that stuff. I don't understand why he has to be quoting Bible verses and professing his love and devotion for God every chance he gets...believe it or not, that could be a problem in the locker room, sure as hell would be for me.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Anyways guys I forgot to say this: I used to play at the same rink as him and he said he hated hockey and his parents forced him to play and he really wanted to play baseball, but back then when I knew from ages 8-10, he was so damn good. I don't remember him being religious though.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
That would be a good fit. He'd go nicely with all those neanderthal type forwards you got going on over there.

:huh:
Just curoious what you mean by that/who's a Neanderthal in the forward spot. I don't count janssen because he's not being resigned

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
He's obviously not shy about divulging his beliefs..

Religion SHOULD be a very personal thing. Putting yourself in a moral high chair is just going to piss a lot of people off. This may have worked in the 1600s when you could shoot someone in the face for not falling in line, but not anymore.

That's your opinion though. A "religious" person probably values his or her beliefs and convictions more than your proposed standards of conduct. "Pissing people off" probably isn't one of Grimaldi's concerns.

donutz0r

Jan 12, 2010
Dallas. Go Canucks!
Nothing says "articulate" quite like being 18 and on TV across North America.

It's weird to think that a player last year was dropped down (or off) by several teams for an off-ice issue, who all ended up being roundly criticized for passing on someone who took a big developmental step this year. But now we're supposed to be praising teams for passing on someone who does not have off-ice issues and is unlikely to have them in the future?

Crap, it's not like he's allied with Westboro Baptist or something.
There's a rumor floating around that he is allied with the Westboro Baptist Church, but that is just a rumor. It would be a shame if people started believing that he is allied with the Westboro Baptist Church, because it's probably not true. Who would start that kind of a rumor, anyway? Rocco Grimaldi, more than likely, has nothing do do with the Westboro Baptist Church. Don't shoot the messenger.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
That's your opinion though. A "religious" person probably values his or her beliefs and convictions more than your proposed standards of conduct. "Pissing people off" probably isn't one of Grimaldi's concerns.

I disagree. I'm non-religious but I've got personal convictions up to HERE

.. well you can't see me, but my hand's really high.

And "pissing people off" may not be one of Grimaldi's concerns. But boy, would it be an extremely important concern for the GM drafting him.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Regarding this guy, it's really hard for us to know whether it would be an issue in the dressing room, unless someone knows him personally. As long as he's not judgmental about his teammates, and doesn't make a big fuss about his views, it shouldn't be an issue. But, while the jury's out on the first one, wearing a tie with a Biblical quotation to the Draft doesn't speak well about the second one. That just seems a little overboard, but who knows.

And that comment about not judging teammates who "make mistakes", before correcting himself and saying ones who "choose different lifestyles", is a little iffy.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007

And "pissing people off" may not be one of Grimaldi's concerns. But boy, would it be an extremely concern for the GM drafting him.

And yet one of the greatest players in NFL history, universally respected for his superhuman work ethic, devotion to his career and to his family, was someone who was an ordained minister from his teenage years.

If a player produces and isn't truly obnoxious and a divisive presence, there are no issues. Come to think of it, how many locker rooms have been split over issues of faith and religion, compared to how many have been split be issues of effort and dedication to the team and to the game?

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

And "pissing people off" may not be one of Grimaldi's concerns. But boy, would it be an extremely concern for the GM drafting him.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm not accusing you of not having personal convictions. Everyone has them. However, you said that "religion should be personal", or something to that effect. I disagree with that, because In my opinion, that is your standard, or your desired state of affairs- and someone who has a strong faith probably isn't worried about pleasing you, but pleasing God.

But yes, I agree with your point, that Locker room issues could be a concern for Grimaldi- I am merely advocating that they may be overblown, considering that he is only 18 years old, can still mature, and may discover that there are more effective and less divisive ways to share his faith (that is, if he is even a divisive force in the first place).

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Let me repeat myself... Eric Staal, is a Christian. He is also a captain. Shane Doan is a Christian. He is also a captain. Jordan Staal is a Christian. He is a alternate captain. Marc Staal is a Christian. He is a alternate captain.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Regarding this guy, it's really hard for us to know whether it would be an issue in the dressing room, unless someone knows him personally. As long as he's not judgmental about his teammates, and doesn't make a big fuss about his views, it shouldn't be an issue. But, while the jury's out on the first one, wearing a tie with a Biblical quotation to the Draft doesn't speak well about the second one. That just seems a little overboard, but who knows.

And that comment about not judging teammates who "make mistakes", before correcting himself and saying ones who "choose different lifestyles", is a little iffy.

James Reimer has a Bible verse on the back of his mask. It's clearly visible, and it has been mentioned in a few articles.

Does this mean that he is likely to be a issue in the dressing room?

According to your logic, it does.

According to reality, he is one of the most respected players in the room.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Let me repeat myself... Eric Staal, is a Christian. He is also a captain. Shane Doan is a Christian. He is also a captain. Jordan Staal is a Christian. He is a alternate captain. Marc Staal is a Christian. He is a alternate captain.

Same with Iginla...but I think for every captain who is a Christian you could find a bunch who are not.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009

I don't get your point...You can be Christian and not be a Bible Pounder...All those you mentioned I'd consider the First...Grimaldi the latter....thats the problem

gago

Jun 16, 2011

There's difference between being Christian and being Flanders.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
There's difference between being Christian and being Flanders.

Ned Flanders, the devoted family man who takes an inordinate amount of abuse with gentle good humor and faces adversity without shrinking or withering?

Yeah, what a terrible role model.

I sure as hell hope that one single thing that I once said as an 18-year-old isn't going to continually be dredged up and used as the ultimate basis for what my personality and character really are, especially all these years later.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Don't forget about the retired guys like Adam Burt and Laurie Boschman. Oh, and the late, great Roger Neilson.

Mike Gartner and Paul Henderson.
If religion had anything to do with him dropping in the draft...
I doubt his faith was any issue at all......it was in his presentation of it and the preachiness.

IMHO it probably had to do with his size. If he has trouble scoring in the NHL then he's basically useless to a NHL team.
Penalty killing and a shutdown forward isn't really the strong part of a small player. At least in the past the NHL would want a bigger player so it could give the team more options. Yes, a small player could be successful doing it but no team would squander a high pick on him.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
Oh so you know Grimaldi personally? Wish him luck for me tomorrow, hope the Wings pick him!!!

Come on really?? It can't even be up for debate...would one of the Staal brothers wear a Bible verse tie and point it out on TV

Not sure if they have twitter...but would it have things like this on it?

RGrimaldi23 Rocco Grimaldi
I'm here at the draft. Thank u Lord for always being with me. You guys need to check out the tie I'm wearing tonight. Its awesome

Watch the draft live at 7pm ET on versus. Pray that the Lord puts me where He wants me #NHLDraft

If you haven't gotten @Tedashii's album #Blacklight you need to right now. The music is unbelievable, inspirational, and Spirit-filled
18 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply

The only way we can STAND is on knees with lifted hands! YOU need to praise Him! (Psalm 146:1) #JesusChrist #Praise

Jesus I need you more and more each day. You are my very present help in time of need (Hebrews 4:16) Thank you for Your grace and mercy Lord

The Lord told us that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments (John 14:15). By this will we know that we know Him (1 John 1:3) #Jesus

I could go on for days

hotshot1

Feb 19, 2008
Vancouver
You can't compare Reggie White, Pat Tillman, Tebow, etc. (all super religious NFL guys) to NHL players because the demographics are very different. I'd be willing to bet that 80 - 90% of NFL players are religious whereas I bet the number for NHL is a lot lower.

But who really knows for sure :dunno:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Come on really?? It can't even be up for debate...would one of the Staal brothers wear a Bible verse tie and point it out on TV

Not sure if they have twitter...but would it have things like this on it?

I'm here at the draft. Thank u Lord for always being with me. You guys need to check out the tie I'm wearing tonight. Its awesome

Watch the draft live at 7pm ET on versus. Pray that the Lord puts me where He wants me #NHLDraft

If you haven't gotten @Tedashii's album #Blacklight you need to right now. The music is unbelievable, inspirational, and Spirit-filled
18 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply

The only way we can STAND is on knees with lifted hands! YOU need to praise Him! (Psalm 146:1) #JesusChrist #Praise

Jesus I need you more and more each day. You are my very present help in time of need (Hebrews 4:16) Thank you for Your grace and mercy Lord

The Lord told us that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments (John 14:15). By this will we know that we know Him (1 John 1:3) #Jesus

I could go on for days

Yup, it's called "fanaticism"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad