RW Olivier Nadeau - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2021, 97th, BUF)

Caps08

Apr 8, 2017
Former 5th overall pick in the 2019 QMJHL Draft and a 2021 NHL Draft prospect. He’s off to a good start this season with 6 points in 4 games playing on the first line for Shawinigan. Big right-handed forward at 6’02/205 lbs who plays well along the boards and in front of the net. He scored 15 goals last year as a 16 year old rookie, but he’s more of a playmaker with a high hockey IQ. He seems to have improved his skating this year. He’ll be an interesting player to watch for the 2021 NHL Draft.

Olivier Nadeau at eliteprospects.com

Highlights from last season:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I really like the player but I think he'll be difficult to project at the NHL level with his current mobility, it's been a problem since Bantam. However, he's a high IQ, very smart, competitive player who is strong on the puck and just elite along the boards. I like him.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Being Joshua Roy's sidekick has always helped him putting up points, but he is still a pretty good prospect in his own right. Like Wintersun said, if he upgrades his skating, he is a surefire NHL draft pick. He has a ton of skills, soft hands, great intelligence in the offensive zone, great positioning, has never been a liability defensively, very intense, big and physical.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Skating seem to have improved indeed, from the highlight I saw. Really interesting!

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Do you think he is a player who could develop into someone like a Hyman in Toronto, able to play on a skilled line despite not being overly flashy or skilled himself, but smart and very good at protesting the puck, knows his limitations and moves the puck well. He can create a lot of space for himself and his line mates.

Caps08

Apr 8, 2017
Do you think he is a player who could develop into someone like a Hyman in Toronto, able to play on a skilled line despite not being overly flashy or skilled himself, but smart and very good at protesting the puck, knows his limitations and moves the puck well. He can create a lot of space for himself and his line mates.

Yes, i think this is exactly the kind of player he could become!

Reactions: Leviathan899

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
A couple apples for Nadeau today to bring him up to 11 points in 10 games this season. Back to back First Star of the Game selections after potting that nice OT winner a couple days ago. He’s stepped up in a big way in Bourque’s absence.

Reactions: Acadien86

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here are my scouting notes on his performance on November 20th 2020 for anyone interested. I take a closer look at his good and worst moments.

Reactions: Haanz and Caps08

Caps08

Apr 8, 2017
@Andy Lehoux Well done! I think your analysis was spot on.

Another multi-point game by Nadeau (1-1) today. Now at 21 points in 17 games played. He's producing at a higher pace than other 2021 Draft prospects in the QMJHL, which include Z.Bolduc (10 pts in 14 gp), Z.L'Heureux (16 in 16), J.Roy (22 in 20) and J.Robidas (20 in 20). At what point does he starts climbing draft lists?

Highlights from today's game:
Shawinigan l’emporte face à Baie-Comeau! Drakkar 1 Cataractes 3 – LHJMQ

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
@Andy Lehoux Well done! I think your analysis was spot on.

Another multi-point game by Nadeau (1-1) today. Now at 21 points in 17 games played. He's producing at a higher pace than other 2021 Draft prospects in the QMJHL, which include Z.Bolduc (10 pts in 14 gp), Z.L'Heureux (16 in 16), J.Roy (22 in 20) and J.Robidas (20 in 20). At what point does he starts climbing draft lists?

Highlights from today's game:
Shawinigan l’emporte face à Baie-Comeau! Drakkar 1 Cataractes 3 – LHJMQ

Couple months ago I was posted he was going to be a valuable 3rd-4th round pick. I'm guessing he's near the 2nd round, now. It helps that OHL and WHL are not playing. There are a lot of QMJHL options for late 1st/2nd round

Reactions: Caps08

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Couple months ago I was posted he was going to be a valuable 3rd-4th round pick. I'm guessing he's near the 2nd round, now. It helps that OHL and WHL are not playing. There are a lot of QMJHL options for late 1st/2nd round
Agreed, like him in Midget. Good shot, he’s got a nice touch around the net. He’s very strong and he protects the puck well. He’s skilled enough to play with the top line players but he can also muck it up along the boards, I see a 2/3rd line guy, 20-20. Someone said he’s more of a playmaker but he’s got goals in him aswell.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Another three points for Nadeau today - his ninth multi-point game in 19 games this season. Can’t be long until he starts getting some more recognition.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
A quick game report on his performance on November 25th 2020 :

Nadeau is playmaking power forward, who exhibited the ability to control the puck through traffic and tight spaces thanks to an outstanding upper-body strength, impressive balance and surprising puck skills. His ability to dominate the offensive wall and protect his puck with authority was at the forefront of his game tonight. At 17 years old, Nadeau is already one of the most physically mature player in the Q, which gave him the ability to just toy around with his opponents left and right. He had enough power to knock anyone off the disc, which consequently helped him recover plenty of pucks along the boards. What distinguish him from other power forwards, is his capacity and willingness to act as a playmaker coming out of puck battle wins. Flashing wizard-like puck protection, staying in control of the disc through checks and sticks, Nadeau was able to keep possession of the puck long enough to wait for teammates crashing the crease. Even when passes didn’t connect, you could see his full creativity in effect, and his uplifting enthusiasm to create high-danger chances for his allies. Nadeau’s skating has always been the focus point of his NHL potential, and while there’s still a lot of work left before he can jump to the next level, I’m left very optimistic seeing how much progression he has showcased in less than a year. It can be night and days at times, seeing the improvement in his foot speed and acceleration in comparison to last season. Nadeau can become a bit sluggish at the end of shifts, but for the most part, his refine skating allows him to get involved in all areas of the ice and battle for loose pucks. The 2021 eligible doesn’t possess the pin-point accuracy of snipers, but he owns an heavy shot that can do damage and an eagerness to crash the net looking to bury rebounds or quick passes. He mostly worked as a playmaker through transition, and he loved setting up teammates. Nadeau also constantly puts the extra effort on the backcheck, where he works very well with an active stick from behind and can lay his body too. Nadeau is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, thanks to a mix of high-end compete, skilled puck protection, and intelligent playmaking. With the right development, I could see him becoming a valuable middle 6 power forward.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Very impressed with his development. Still has his original weakness, but still worth a pick in round 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad