RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th OA, NYI): Part II

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So you want your "not James Neal" to hopefully be "James Neal" before he became "not James Neal". But there could be a chance "not James Neal" becomes "James Neal" again though.
Can't argue with that.

Reactions: tfong

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I imagine if Ho Sang didn't make a stink he would have been called up. Funny how Lou assigned Wahlstrom Ho Sang's old #26, wonder if that is to send a message

With all due respect, I don't think Ho-Sang cares about if he might play a few extra NHL games because of an injury to another player. He's 23 years old, so he's entering his prime pretty soon and is still playing in the AHL. He wants a chance to establish himself in the NHL, thinks he's earned an NHL spot, and doesn't think he's being given that with the Islanders. I think it's clear that he wants to be traded to a different organization where he thinks he'll get a fair shot. If Lamoriello is trying to stick it to Ho-Sang, that's petty.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Solid debut from the Kid. Looked like a regular.

"I thought he was really good," Head Coach Barry Trotz said. "I thought he was really effective. I thought for his first game he didn't look out of place at all. He was physical. The speed wasn't an issue. I thought he moved his feet, he stayed involved. He didn't watch the game. He was strong on pucks and he got some opportunities. He put himself in a position to get some opportunities. For a first game, it was a good one."

"I thought he played great," Barzal said. "He hung in there and made some really skilled plays which is really nice to see. Obviously, it's his first game and there's learning lessons to be had and things like that. But for a young guy to come up like that against the best team in the league per se and give that kind of performance, he probably led our team in shots tonight. You could tell that he's got the attributes to be a pretty lethal player in this league. It was a good thing for our organization to see him come in and do that well."

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Looking at Wahlstrom playing in his first NHL game I find it difficult to see why he didn't do well in college hockey. Maybe we'll see the warts as time comes. But the kid had three legit scoring opportunities, and other good plays in his first NHL game.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Looking at Wahlstrom playing in his first NHL game I find it difficult to see why he didn't do well in college hockey. Maybe we'll see the warts as time comes. But the kid had three legit scoring opportunities, and other good plays in his first NHL game.

He had bad puck luck and played a lot with poor linemates. BC was a mess overall. That plus he has improved his physical game.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Not sure either, but I do know he was pretty vocal on his lack of interest in school. Since turning pro, he’s been able to focus solely on hockey.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
His game projects better for pro hockey, he's with better players, he's more suited to stops and starts, able to make strong individual plays. People really underestimate how hard it is to impact college hockey as an 18 y/o freshman for a number of reasons, but as someone else noted even for that BC was weird last year and no one did too well.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The one thing I noticed from Wahlstrom is he seemed to have a nice quick release(which was a very hard shot as well)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The one thing I noticed from Wahlstrom is he seemed to have a nice quick release(which was a very hard shot as well)

His shot is his bread and butter, he should begin to use it more as he becomes more acclimated.

Reactions: SI90

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This kid has zero vision or ability to use line mates so far in the WJHC

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This kid has zero vision or ability to use line mates so far in the WJHC
He’s got really nice tools - GREAT shot, powerful player, protects the puck well, decently physical too. But I agree, he’s had real tunnel vision this tourney, always looking for his own shot.

With that being said, he’s normally a better passer than this. Some guys feel the pressure to make things happen individually at the WJCs, seems to be the case with Wahlstrom so far. He’s been reasonably effective at it too, even though it would be nice to see him look for his teammates more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad