RW Nikolai Kovalenko (2018, 171st, COL)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Any insight on how he's been performing recently?
With every game I watch I am more and more convinced the guy is money. Huge pick for Colorado. Genes and guidance from his dad are probably doing good things to him. Very mature for his age and has the right spirit to translate his game to new levels.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
He was arguably Russia's best player tonight against the Czechs, he was all over the place, plays a physical style, is always around the puck, outskated Martin Necas to the puck for his shortie and displayed excellent skill on the finish with Necas draped on him. I think the argument about whether or not he is going to be an NHL player is already over; the on-going debate is going to be about how good an NHL player he will be. My guess is he ends up as a middle six player and an excellent penalty killer who chips in some decent but unspectacular offensive numbers. Quite a steal for a 5th round pick.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
6th ;) but yeah he's going to certainly be more valuable than his draft position. I'm glad my earlier comment set the stage too lol. His relentless style would be a perfect fit in Colorado, I can imagine Bednar already getting excited watching that work all night on the forecheck and penalty killing. I'm very happy Kovalenko got the opportunity and stage to show off his game.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Reaction after beating the Czech Republic at the 2019 World Junior Championship

Russia U20 head coach Valery Bragin:

- The quality of our performance was a lot higher. Yes, there were mistakes and the powerplay needs to improve, but I'm happy that we managed to score twice even when shorthanded. I can feel the players' desire to win and that's the main thing. The goalkeeping coach told me that both Daniil Tarasov and Pyotr Kochetkov are 100% ready to play. In the third period, we started playing with more aggression, so maybe that's why we saw more of Vitaly Kravtsov. How is Nikolai Kovalenko? He returned to the ice and continued playing. We still have time to register another forward.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I don't understand. Does that mean he was injured or Bragin does not trust him enough for his spot to be garanteed?
I understood it as "the injury clearly wasn't that serious because he could continue playing" and even if a injury occurred later, it wouldn't be a problem for them on how they play since they still can register another forward for the 12th forward spot.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I don't understand. Does that mean he was injured or Bragin does not trust him enough for his spot to be garanteed?

I understood it as "the injury clearly wasn't that serious because he could continue playing" and even if a injury occurred later, it wouldn't be a problem for them on how they play since they still can register another forward for the 12th forward spot.

Yea, it's more in the context of who they will register next. In the full interview Bragin is talking about working Olshansky into the lineup (recently registered dman), so there's still the option to register a forward if needed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nikolai Kovalenko

He's Andrei Kovalenko's, former Soviet Olympic champion and NHLer, son. His MHL statistics is decent (10+21 in 33 games), and he's going to play his 1st KHL game tonight.

Andrei played a lot vs Keith Tkachuk, and now their sons are eligible for the same draft.
Just need to keep him away from Mirinov's son.

Those two did a little too much boozing and smoking back in their Oiler days.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Man I know it's just preseason out there but that was some good vision picking up 3 assists. Number two was especially sweet.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
As usual, Russian teams are the ones most serious about this tournament, and use 99 born players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad