RW Nikolai Kovalenko - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2018, 171st, COL)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Finally a thread for him, was even thinking today if I should create one myself (and I don't like doing that for some reason).

In some way Kovalenko has already debuted in the KHL, he has made it to the KHL All-Star game in January as one of the best MHL All-Star game's players and even scored two goals there:

A goal from the MHL All-Star game:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Solid 11:06 TOI on his debut, shame that I couldn't watch it. I've seen some stuff by him recently in the MHL and Lokomotiv's friendly Vs. Torpedo and was really impressed by him, really looks like a potential sleeper pick.

Talking about his dad, Nikolai also wears #51. Btw, a funny moment of Kovalenko-sr. giving quite a look after Nikolai failed to score:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Solid 11:06 TOI on his debut, shame that I couldn't watch it. I've seen some stuff by him recently in the MHL and Lokomotiv's friendly Vs. Torpedo and was really impressed by him, really looks like a potential sleeper pick.

Talking about his dad, Nikolai also wears #51. Btw, a funny moment of Kovalenko-sr. giving quite a look after Nikolai failed to score:

Do you have a scouting report on him?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Do you have a scouting report on him?

Well, maybe not too detailed, but what I see here is close to a full attacking package: skating, playmaking, handling the puck, overall understanding of the game, aggressiveness. The issue is the size and related stuff, also the shot is kind of mediocre. But speaking about the size, he had added 2 inches and 22 lbs during the last year, also he still looks rather young for the 18 year old, which might mean that his growth spurt isn't over yet. Worth mentioning that he recorded 4 hits on his KHL debut, as he isn't shy of physical stuff.

Where should he go in the draft?

No idea, I don't think he has been ranked in most of the rankings. To me, he looks like someone, who can easily fall to the 5th round and at this point you take him and run.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Surprised that he hasn't been discussed more, very interesting prospect and definitely worth a draft pick. Very smart player and has the skills to take advantage of those smarts. Sure he's on the small side but not tiny, and he's got a very strong lower body which helps stay on balance in battles and when carrying the puck. His build kind of reminds me of Brandon Kozun. Being a late 1999, he hasn't had much international exposure recently which will probably hurt his draft stock unless he gets more games in the KHL.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Surprised that he hasn't been discussed more, very interesting prospect and definitely worth a draft pick. Very smart player and has the skills to take advantage of those smarts. Sure he's on the small side but not tiny, and he's got a very strong lower body which helps stay on balance in battles and when carrying the puck. His build kind of reminds me of Brandon Kozun. Being a late 1999, he hasn't had much international exposure recently which will probably hurt his draft stock unless he gets more games in the KHL.

Yeah, I agree here, he isn't weak at all, actually he kind of made me remember why his dad was called a Tank while being only 6'0" or even less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad