RW Nikita Scherbak - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2014, 26th, MTL; claimed by LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've been saying it for a couple months now. When teams start to really look at him on their draft boards, what he's accomplished the last year and his ceiling, he has the chance to move up more than any other player. If available at 15, he's a lock for Detroit.

The Russian factor is always a concern, even with such a humble player. That said, this kid really is as complete when it comes to a well rounded game, as anyone in the draft.

Eye test teams aren't going to miss him.

He would be the perfect fit for the Wings and he would be thrilled. His favorite player is Datsyuk and he wore a Detroit had all season long.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
The Russian factor is always a concern, even with such a humble player. That said, this kid really is as complete when it comes to a well rounded game, as anyone in the draft.

There are some teams that have scouts that love him that will still pass because of the Russian factor. Thats a very good thing for some teams that have no problem drafting Russians.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
If you are drafting just outside the top 10, who would stand out between Scherbek, Barbashev, Kapanen, Larkin and Tuch?

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
If you are drafting just outside the top 10, who would stand out between Scherbek, Barbashev, Kapanen, Larkin and Tuch?

I would say the two Russians (I'm not quite as high on Kapanen like some people). Barbashev in particular plays a more aggressive, NA game than a guy like Dal Colle for example. Scherbak plays hard too but not to the same pitbull mentality. Both of them are going to be good ones though. Skill combined with smarts combined with compete from both of them.

I love both guys and think they're being criminally underrated around here. Barbashev has a chance at the top-8 and Scherbak should solidly be in the top 15 picks of the draft. I'm not sure about Tuch and Larkin doesn't IMO have the same level of upside, and I haven't seen the same level of compete from Kapanen on a consistent basis.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

I'd rank them:

Kapanen
Barbashev/Scherbak
Tuch
Larkin

I think I would go with one of the first 3 out of that list. I think Tuch & Larkin are a bit behind those 3 right now.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There are some teams that have scouts that love him that will still pass because of the Russian factor. Thats a very good thing for some teams that have no problem drafting Russians.

Absolutely. In a lot of ways you can't blame teams for not wanting the headache. Personally I think it comes more into play with guys drafted in the 2nd to 4th round. They just don't seem to want to go through the growth process here. They say all the right things for a year then get butt hurt if they have to spend a second year in the AHL and run to the KHL.

If you're a team like Winnipeg, do you really want to invest in another guy who might skip town? Probably not. That's why I've talked a lot of Scherbak's demeanor and attitude. He's very humble. I'd have no concerns about him but it really does have to go on a case by case basis.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I hate it when prospects get no hype, or love, because of the "Russian" factor. I feel like Scherbak may be one of the most, if not the most, underrated player and underranked player in this draft. Need some more people to join the Scherbak hype train. I think this year was a good adjustment year for him, and I believe he will take a massive step next year.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I hate it when prospects get no hype, or love, because of the "Russian" factor. I feel like Scherbak may be one of the most, if not the most, underrated player and underranked player in this draft. Need some more people to join the Scherbak hype train. I think this year was a good adjustment year for him, and I believe he will take a massive step next year.

I love it, that same "factor" let Tarasenko drop to us at 16 a few years ago and Scherbak is the number one guy I want at 21 if still available which I doubt, this kid is special

fakeblood

Jan 30, 2011
Criminally underrated at this point with sporadic ratings all across the board. I've seen him ranked just outside the top 10 to barely making it in the first round. Those Marian Hossa comparisons have to be piquing some interest going into draft day so it will be interesting to see where he lands. I'm really hoping he ends up in a Ducks sweater.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Seen him extensively this season. Just as a note, he's actually a RW.

Very gifted player, smart, heavy shot, supremely underrated vision. As for comparisons go, the Voracek one isn't bad. I've had a hard time coming up with one myself that includes both his style on the ice and level of potential. He's got Hossa qualities, but not sure he has the body type to be a horse like Marian is. He also has some Malkin-like qualities. I know he models his game after Datsyuk, but he doesn't really resemble him on the ice and that's a pretty tough comparison for any young prospect.

What's the likelihood of him falling to the Avs? Seems like his stock has skyrocketed recently.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I've got him at #14 on my list.

I really like his hard nosed game with the skill he has. He should adapt well to the NHL.

I think he's a top ten pick. His team was laughably bad. He had 34 more points then the second leading scorer on the team.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I think he's a top ten pick. His team was laughably bad. He had 34 more points then the second leading scorer on the team.
Ya I've pretty much finalized my list, but looking back I might flip him and Fabbri (#13).

I really think he's been underrated by alot of people, I really like how he plays.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What's the likelihood of him falling to the Avs? Seems like his stock has skyrocketed recently.

Don't really see it. Avs don't have a history of taking Russians, let alone in the first round. But hey, I hope it happens, he's a hell of a player and very versatile with a projectable frame. For me, he's a legit top 15 talent in this draft so we'll see how it shakes down.

Not to mention the amount of different people he was forced to play with this year. His two legit linemates were traded away in January and after that he played with a rookie centre and a raw left-winger named Ryan Graham.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'll call my shot. Scherbak to St. Louis at 21, if he's still on the board.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'll call my shot. Scherbak to St. Louis at 21, if he's still on the board.

I could see Columbus at 16. I doubt Jarmo will care about the Russian factor and proved last year with Dano he's not afraid to pick guys a little ahead of their speculated range.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Hope he falls to #24 and hope Benning isn't as opposed to Russians as the last regime was.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I could see Columbus at 16. I doubt Jarmo will care about the Russian factor and proved last year with Dano he's not afraid to pick guys a little ahead of their speculated range.

Jarmo will take him, because he always takes the ones I like :rant:

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon

For sure. His puck posession skills are high-end. Very good skater too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->