RW Nikita Scherbak - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2014, 26th, MTL; claimed by LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Even if you think the above scenario of Scherbak vs. Draisaitl is crazy, which I don't, he is a guy who at this point has to be in contention with Brendan Perlini.

He's solidified top 15 IMO and could go 10.

Canuck71*

Even if you think the above scenario of Scherbak vs. Draisaitl is crazy, which I don't, he is a guy who at this point has to be in contention with Brendan Perlini.

He's solidified top 15 IMO and could go 10.

Couldn't agree more, I don't understand how some rankings have him in the 20's. I really think the way he plays the game is favourable for him to be effective at the next level. To think it was only his first year in North America, he dominated and carried the play on multiple occasions. I have him in my top 10 and don't think it would be a reach at all to seen him picked that high.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Couldn't agree more, I don't understand how some rankings have him in the 20's. I really think the way he plays the game is favourable for him to be effective at the next level. To think it was only his first year in North America, he dominated and carried the play on multiple occasions. I have him in my top 10 and don't think it would be a reach at all to seen him picked that high.

I watched him in about 20 games this year in saskatoon and the kid is a beast on the puck - he is good at protecting and he has a nose for the net. He is also good on the back check - I am just concerned that these skills only seem significant because he is physically mature where most of his opponents are not.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Man, I was hoping that this kid would stay under the radar and slip down to SJ at ~25. Really, really impressed me back at the Top Prospects Game, and I've been keeping an eye on him ever since.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
I watched him in about 20 games this year in saskatoon and the kid is a beast on the puck - he is good at protecting and he has a nose for the net. He is also good on the back check - I am just concerned that these skills only seem significant because he is physically mature where most of his opponents are not.

He's got a real winner's mentality with the puck.

He's intimidating on the ice, but he's still got room to mature IMO. Will be a real treat to see him grow into a man, as he's still developing.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I wonder if the Wild would take him if he dropped far enough. He'd be the first Russian under Fletcher's reign.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I love this quote from Dave Struch then-Saskatoon coach about Scherbak
"“While we were in training camp and waiting for his papers to be finished so he could join us on the ice, he sat in the player’s box and rode a stationary bike while we practiced and played. When he finally got his release, the coaching staff went to show him our systems and he showed us our systems. He picked everything up just from watching our practices and games...[On taking English classes]He’s learning a lot more because he doesn’t shut up now...The best thing about him is he’s very coachable and teachable. Because he can skate he can get on the puck. But when he’s not on it right away he’s not afraid to make or take a hit. When you’ve got that part of a game from a Russian player it’s exciting...He’s a gifted skater. Gifted with the puck and his vision is really goodâ€
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696364

I love that part about him showing them their systems which he picked up just by watching. He's an exciting player who played on a mediocre team. I read another quote about how, at first, they only used him even-strength and power-play, then by the end of the year they had him on the PK, in tie-game situations with a minute to go.

Canuck71*

He reminds me of Voracek a bit but without the elite skating. His stick handling and puck protection is very voracek like.

I think skating is one of his strengths even for a big guy. I don't understand how scouting agencies are holding him out of the top 20, personally see him as a top 15 guy no matter what.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I think skating is one of his strengths even for a big guy. I don't understand how scouting agencies are holding him out of the top 20, personally see him as a top 15 guy no matter what.
Ya he's got size, he's gritty, he battles, good skater, great playmaker. Heavy shot. He plays the way Brendan Perlini should play.

And I like guys like him & Draisaitl who put up big point totals with not alot to work with. Both are easily the top point leaders on their teams.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I love this quote from Dave Struch then-Saskatoon coach about Scherbak
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696364

I love that part about him showing them their systems which he picked up just by watching. He's an exciting player who played on a mediocre team. I read another quote about how, at first, they only used him even-strength and power-play, then by the end of the year they had him on the PK, in tie-game situations with a minute to go.

This kid sounds like a really good fit for the CBJ and probably pegged around their draft spot...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't see how this kid doesn't go at least top 15 , he makes defenders look stupid. similar play to a Malkin, Kuznetsov.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I still find that it is kind of amazing that he got from being almost unknown in Russia and MHL last season to being a PPG player in his rookie WHL season and a potential 1-st round prospect. Just looking at this kind of progress in one season makes me think that we might not seen even signs of his ceiling yet.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Tim Murray is going to have an aneurism comparing Scherbak's advanced statistics and his place of birth and choosing between his love for analytics and hatred for Russians.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Seen him extensively this season. Just as a note, he's actually a RW.

Very gifted player, smart, heavy shot, supremely underrated vision. As for comparisons go, the Voracek one isn't bad. I've had a hard time coming up with one myself that includes both his style on the ice and level of potential. He's got Hossa qualities, but not sure he has the body type to be a horse like Marian is. He also has some Malkin-like qualities. I know he models his game after Datsyuk, but he doesn't really resemble him on the ice and that's a pretty tough comparison for any young prospect.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
WTF he does in 1:43 :laugh::laugh::laugh: .. haven't seen him so can anyone tell me is there any similarities with Scherbak and Barbashev?

IMO, the main difference is the physicality. Barbashev plays a more direct game north-south and he plays like a highly skilled grinder. He works very often in the front of the net or along the board. He will drop the gloves if he has to. But his most notable trait is that he hits everything that moves. If Scherbak and Barbashev would play on the same line, Barbashev would create space to Scherbak who would stickhandle the puck around 2-3 players and score. I like to compare Barbashev to Dubinsky. As for Scherbak, he skates the same way Galchenyuk does, he handles the puck, and he as the same assets as Galchenyuk. They're the two players on my hope-list for the Habs between 21-29... and both aren't likely to still be on board. They're both very gifted offensively, they are strong and powerful skater.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com

We have not posted a list in Feb but we had him well inside the top 20. LINK

I really like his game and agree with many of the points made in this thread. Updated rank will come with the release of our draft book.

Some teams will pass automatically because he's Russian. Just the way it is.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I don't see how this kid doesn't go at least top 15 , he makes defenders look stupid. similar play to a Malkin, Kuznetsov.

Wow. I know highlight reel videos are awful for judging a player but it's hard not to be high on him after that. Malkin is immediately what comes to mind when watching it.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
We have not posted a list in Feb but we had him well inside the top 20. LINK

I really like his game and agree with many of the points made in this thread. Updated rank will come with the release of our draft book.

Some teams will pass automatically because he's Russian. Just the way it is.

I've been saying it for a couple months now. When teams start to really look at him on their draft boards, what he's accomplished the last year and his ceiling, he has the chance to move up more than any other player. If available at 15, he's a lock for Detroit.

The Russian factor is always a concern, even with such a humble player. That said, this kid really is as complete when it comes to a well rounded game, as anyone in the draft.

Eye test teams aren't going to miss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->