RW Nikita Korostelev - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2015, 185th, TOR unsigned)

Canuck71*

Haven't seen much talk about him yet. He was one of the lone bright spots on a dismal Sarnia team this year. Grew up in Moscow, came here to play a couple years of minor hockey in the GTHL and he is turning out to be a very fine prospect.

He has an odd skating style, but unbelievable offensive instincts, pro shot, slick hands, and can protect the puck like he is an OHL veteran in his first year. Was a very noticable player in most of the games I caught him play at home in Sarnia this year. I've seen Stamkos, Galchenyuk and Yakupov come through here, Nikita may not come across as dangerous of a scorer as these guys but he could up his game close to that level next year and really be considered as a top tier prospect.

Definitely a kid to watch for next year. I see him ranked late first round on some mocks, but next year is a very deep year. If he were eligible for a weaker draft I could see him entering the top 10, but I wont rule that out even for next year. Treat to watch.

Would love to hear others opinions on Korostelev

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
My choice for surprise prospect for 2015, right now seen as late 1st/2nd round talent but I believe he can launch himself into the top 15. Owns tons of offensive potential.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
My choice for surprise prospect for 2015, right now seen as late 1st/2nd round talent but I believe he can launch himself into the top 15. Owns tons of offensive potential.

Agree with everything. This kid is going to rise and rise all year long.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
So, this guy has a Canadian citizenship or not?
He's eligible to play for team Canada?

I don't understand how this guy was never invited in the Russian national team.

Rumyantsev is very biased coach.

Dec 2, 2010
RW Nikita Korostelev - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2015 Draft)

Lack of a thread on this guy is disturbing so I'm starting one.

1297509197124_ORIGINAL.jpg

#35 Korostelev in bumblebee jersey

Stats:
RHS, 6'1 frame.
8g, 9a in 13 games so far. 8-game pt streak.
Taken 9th overall in his OHL draft year.

Playing top line with Zacha but he's no slouch at creating plays for linemates and himself. Plays a very dynamic offensive style. Doesn't shy from cutting to the middle of the ice to make a play or going hard at a defenceman with his puck skills on display. Good release on his shots. Shot selection though could use work but I suspect it comes with time.

Last season, he looked like a talented rookie. Showed his skills but struggled with consistency on a team that lacked the depth to shelter a young player like him.

This season, he looks bigger and his defensive game improved quite a bit. He's battling smartly in corners and coming out with the puck more often than not. He backchecks and supports his RD along the boards regularly too. It's not his game and he can get overmatched, but he won't shy away from physical play and doesn't back down in altercations.

He's been playing in NA for a few years now so significantly smaller Russian factor.

If he stays consistent, I think he's a 1st rounder. Thoughts?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So he basically has all the tools that you cannot teach? I haven't seen Sarnia this year but he sure sounds like Tyler Toffoli in his draft year, we all know how that turned out.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I like the looks of this guy. Hope SFY can snag him or Merkley with one of our firsts. We sort of have a history with Sarnia as well (Stamkos, DeAngelo).

Canuck71*

So he basically has all the tools that you cannot teach? I haven't seen Sarnia this year but he sure sounds like Tyler Toffoli in his draft year, we all know how that turned out.

Tyler Toffoli isn't a bad comparison at all. They were both questioned for their skating abilities in their draft years but you cannot teach the scoring touch these two have. I have been one of Nikita's biggest supporters this year and like him more as a prospect than some guys in the top 20.

Dec 2, 2010
Strictly speaking at the same age, Toffoli had better puck skills and shot but Koro is a better 2way player and zero attitude.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Any chance he drops to the 2nd round? Good size, great offensive skill, but I don't know too much about him.

He will probably drop a dozen or so picks as well since he uses a goalies number (35).

Canuck71*

Any chance he drops to the 2nd round? Good size, great offensive skill, but I don't know too much about him.

He will probably drop a dozen or so picks as well since he uses a goalies number (35).

I personally don't think so. Too talented and I don't understand how some people are ranked ahead of him. I think he's a top 20 player easily but he hasn't been rated that high by anyone else lately. If someone manages to snag him past that I think they have a hell of a player.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
With the way the TB and NYR first rounders seem to be heading in the 20-30 range, I definitely think this guy should (and probably is) on Murray and SFY's radar.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's still flying under the radar, even off the first round in many lists, he's hit or miss but still good potential. Getting him and or Sharov after the first could prove to be a steal imo.

Canuck71*

Would anyone else let Tyler Toffoli fall to 47th overall again? I don't think they would and Korostelev is Toffoli 2.0 in my opinion. You don't let someone that is as pure of a goal scorer as he is but has an awkward stride fall this far in 2015. I personally have him just outside the top 20 at the moment.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Lots of talk about this guys offensive upside but little production from him. Haven't really watched any of him so I'm curious what factors may be holding him back from putting up better points as I've heard he has an unreal shot and is extremely good with the puck

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Lots of talk about this guys offensive upside but little production from him. Haven't really watched any of him so I'm curious what factors may be holding him back from putting up better points as I've heard he has an unreal shot and is extremely good with the puck

He was the leading scorer on a below average Sarnia team. His PPG is similar to his teammate Pavel Zacha who could go in the top 10.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He was the leading scorer on a below average Sarnia team. His PPG is similar to his teammate Pavel Zacha who could go in the top 10.

Last year's Sarnia was even worse than that, and Goldobin was able to produce there. Something like that actually was expected from Korostelev before this season, so I guess there is some dissapointment in this case.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So, this guy has a Canadian citizenship or not?
He's eligible to play for team Canada?

I don't understand how this guy was never invited in the Russian national team.

Rumyantsev is very biased coach.

He is a Canadian citizen and eligible to play for Canada, since he has never represented Russia in international play.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He is a Canadian citizen and eligible to play for Canada, since he has never represented Russia in international play.

Although this doesn't make him ineligible to play for Canada, Korostelev participated in Russia U20 NT friendly tournament in May, so I doubt he suddenly will have a change of heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad