RW Martin Kaut (2018, 16th, COL)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It’s funny that his season last year wasn’t looked at as good offensively but 18 of his 26 points were even strength primary points. This year his scoring is as follows
4 ES G
3 ES A1
1 ES A2
2 SH A1
3 PP A1

The Eagles are a low scoring defensive first team, much like the Avs need to get the lead first to gain momentum and have an awful power play. Kaut doesn’t get to clean up cheap points on pp1, empty net, extra attacker situations because young players on the Eagles don’t see those minutes. He’s played primarily at even strength and on the penalty kill where’s he’s made some plays for goals over the last two weeks which is reflected above. He has one secondary assist at any strength. Nothing comes cheap for Kaut.

It was a slow start for him and he had lost confidence but the entire team started slow. At that point AJ Greer, Shane Bowers and Logan O’Connor had no points as well.

The box score is never going to tell the full tale on him because he’s a very good defensive player, heavy on the boards and good at puck management. His intelligence is his best attribute and that doesn’t shine through in the Avs/Eagles systems. However his breakaway ability and heavy shot do so he gets those type of individual chances and does score goals that way.

Kaut has always desperately needed to play with someone who he can find chemistry with. He loves give and go plays and that type of stuff does not exist on the Eagles. He has however found a match with Jayson Megna, who does not playmake but what he can do is receive a pass and has figured out how Kaut likes to give him the puck.

Kaut is a reliable player with a pro style game and frame. He can pop in some offense and be a net positive on the ice. If anyone or the Avalanche are waiting for him to become something else they will be disappointed. He has now played 94 games in the AHL and is waiting for an opportunity.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kaut made the play that won the game in Anaheim, a 1-0 final score, for his first NHL point. Was a great moment as it was Francouz’s first NHL shutout too. He’s done well thus far in limited minutes and is still with the team.

Francouz with shutout and Kaut with a point.. great night!

I noticed he got 2 minutes of powerplay time.

I'm really curious if this is showcasing him? Guess I'll know in about 25 hours. I hope it isn't. I like the idea of him with the Avs (I hope he cracks the lineup next year) with Francouz for the next few years.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

I'm really curious if this is showcasing him? Guess I'll know in about 25 hours. I hope it isn't. I like the idea of him with the Avs (I hope he cracks the lineup next year) with Francouz for the next few years.
It’s not a showcase

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

He looked good IMO damn he has one of those reads. He intercepted two passes that led to a goal and a good chance. He has done way better in two games than Jost in the entire season and the season before ?

Before seeing him play these games I would've probably be in to throw him in a Kreider trade. I'm not so sure anymore.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Avs are down 4 regular forwards right now so that’s part of why he got pp time. Anyone can get traded but I don’t think it’s a showcase because he only was called up when Rantanen went down and the Avs could only dress so many replacement level AHL vets. Also Bednar had him out late in tight games so I think it’s more a real look at him.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Avs are down 4 regular forwards right now so that’s part of why he got pp time. Anyone can get traded but I don’t think it’s a showcase because he only was called up when Rantanen went down and the Avs could only dress so many replacement level AHL vets. Also Bednar had him out late in tight games so I think it’s more a real look at him.
Hope so... When I went to milehighhockey the consensus seemed to be it was a showcase. I hope that's not the case.

Avs are one of my cup favs... They just need to get healthy. I figure once everyone is back that kaut will go back to the A.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
I like what I've seen from him in his first three NHL games. He has been good along the boards and obviously made that nice play to win the game against the Ducks. He can fill in for the role we had for Wilson at the start of the year (Obviously Wilson his better, for now.).

We might not have a spot for him when the injured player are back but he showed he will be able to play at this level in the futur.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That's my boy!!! Hope the flood gates release. His AHL stats are really subpar for a prospect of his calibre, hopefully playing and practicing with better players in the NHL can help him out.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So Happy for him...

Crazy stat line though.. he scored on the powerplay and only had 24 seconds of PP time. He was a minus 2 but only played 11 minutes.

4 games and 2 points... great start. I really hope he sticks and starts next year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's my boy!!! Hope the flood gates release. His AHL stats are really subpar for a prospect of his calibre, hopefully playing and practicing with better players in the NHL can help him out.

Not really. Actually last years stats are pretty comparable to most prospects who jump straight to the AHL in D+1 seasons. His D+2 as a whole are definitely a little lackluster... But if you focus more on the recent numbers and ignore the start of the season when he struggled(And he's talked about why quite a bit in a recent Athletic article, but basically he struggled a lot with living on his own without family for the first time this year)... His numbers since that poor start in the AHL are actually solid this year. Take out the 10 games to start the year where he was pointless and he's had a real solid 5+11, 16 points in 21 games at the AHL level this year and now has looked increasingly better in the NHL with each passing game.

He's not free of criticism either though. I think his skating at the NHL level needs work. Just a tad slow especially in the acceleration department. Right now he is having some trouble creating separation through the neutral zone in the NHL because he doesn't have the quickest first couple strides.

He also definitely needs some work on his endurance.

But his compete level, especially on the defensive side and on the back check, have been great to see so far. He also loves to shoot the puck, something you dont see a tonne from rookies and is a very encouraging sign.

It's only been 4 games, but IMO you can tell this is probably where he belongs going forward starting next year. He'll go back to the AHL for the playoffs as he's an important piece for the Avs AHL team and just due to the numbers game and ridiculous depth the Avs have he wont have a spot here when we're healthy. But IMO he should be on the opening night roster next season for us as a bottom 6 energy guy at least.

I think the draft day conversations about him are looking pretty accurate. He has a very high floor(Should be at least a solid 3rd line guy) but he's also not really elite or high end skill at anything else which kind of limits his ultimate upside as well. If everything goes perfectly I can see him being a 25-30 Goal secondary scorer on a 2nd line. Sort of like the player Jakob Silfverberg is for Anaheim.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not really. Actually last years stats are pretty comparable to most prospects who jump straight to the AHL in D+1 seasons. His D+2 as a whole are definitely a little lackluster... But if you focus more on the recent numbers and ignore the start of the season when he struggled(And he's talked about why quite a bit in a recent Athletic article, but basically he struggled a lot with living on his own without family for the first time this year)... His numbers since that poor start in the AHL are actually solid this year. Take out the 10 games to start the year where he was pointless and he's had a real solid 5+11, 16 points in 21 games at the AHL level this year and now has looked increasingly better in the NHL with each passing game.

He's not free of criticism either though. I think his skating at the NHL level needs work. Just a tad slow especially in the acceleration department. Right now he is having some trouble creating separation through the neutral zone in the NHL because he doesn't have the quickest first couple strides.

He also definitely needs some work on his endurance.

But his compete level, especially on the defensive side and on the back check, have been great to see so far. He also loves to shoot the puck, something you dont see a tonne from rookies and is a very encouraging sign.

It's only been 4 games, but IMO you can tell this is probably where he belongs going forward starting next year. He'll go back to the AHL for the playoffs as he's an important piece for the Avs AHL team and just due to the numbers game and ridiculous depth the Avs have he wont have a spot here when we're healthy. But IMO he should be on the opening night roster next season for us as a bottom 6 energy guy at least.

I think the draft day conversations about him are looking pretty accurate. He has a very high floor(Should be at least a solid 3rd line guy) but he's also not really elite or high end skill at anything else which kind of limits his ultimate upside as well. If everything goes perfectly I can see him being a 25-30 Goal secondary scorer on a 2nd line. Sort of like the player Jakob Silfverberg is for Anaheim.

Good post, thanks for the info. Just at a first glance I actually think he looks a little overweight right now and I feel like if he lost a bit of weight over the summer his skating could probably improve and help his overall game.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He has a wide frame which is why he looks big on the ice, he has always been a bit slight. He was drafted at like 172 pounds. If anything not being able to train two years ago due to the heart surgery is something he is still catching up on. His first step isn’t the fastest but he has good burst when he gets going.

I discussed Kaut’s numbers earlier in this thread. There’s a lot of context to that slow start. Bowers, O’Connor and Greer also had no points through like 7 games. The team was low scoring, bottom 3 pp and gives many minutes in special situations, pp1 to vets. Kaut and other prospects have to grind it out at ES most of the time. Most of his production has been at ES in his AHL career and has added some primary SH assists this year as well.

Ryan Graves scored 15 points in 53 games in the AHL in the Avs system. He was not good defensively and didn’t really look like someone who deserved a call up. He’s obviously flourishing now. So looking at AHL stats and performance for direct NHL performance especially in the Avs system just does not correlate. It’s true Kaut had been playing better since December and was ready for the opportunity.

He’s always been billed as a safe middle/bottom 6 type option but he’s he’s shown more pop thus far than I even have expected. Smart players like him just do so much better with structure and Kaut has so far done more than just keep up. He’s directly contributed to two wins and has generated 12 shot attempts and 7 individual scoring chances at 5v5 in 4 games. He’s just around the puck so much more than he is in the AHL and with more familiarity, comfort and another good summer of training he could actually impact the Avs offensively next year should they chose to keep him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, he played great. Avs got a lot of points since he joined the team but he's gone back to the AHL. 8 games played so he can do one more this season without sliding his contract. I hope he did enough to be considered a starter for next season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad